Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 10:50 AM

40,919 posts, read 48,847,042 times

Advertisements

Luckily they didn't cook fried chicken. That would have been disastrous.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:51 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,336,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Valiant try, but no. Just no.

Serving black students mac n' cheese, collard greens, and corn bread with cotton boll centerpieces is beyond ridiculous. Watermelon for dessert, by any chance?

I'm surprised it wasn't served by children dressed up like pickaninnies.

What were they thinking?
That's the food of their ancestors. I'll admit the cotton swabs is a little extra but I don't see an issue with the food. If he served tomato and mozzarella salad they would have hated it too.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:53 AM

51,585 posts, read 25,506,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Personally I think the centerpiece is attractive. But of course my great great great great great great great grandparents weren't field hands on a plantation picking cotton.

They were too busy dying from a potato fungus.
So imagine you and the other Irish students were invited to dinner, supposedly to talk of your experience of being Irish on campus.

You were served colcannon (mashed potatoes with cabbage), with Lucky Charms for dessert. Decor included vintage signs stating "Irish need not apply," and jokes were made about how no wine would be served as the Irish are all a bunch of drunks.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
First will note, look at my other post. I don't believe these people were racist at all but on the bold above, I'll note that white people should think that black people like whatever food they like.

I'm black. I like Italian food, I like pot pies, I like all sorts of Asian cuisine, I LOVE me some Mediterranean cuisine, I especially love Middle Eastern food. I also like mac and cheese and collard green lol.

As I stated earlier, on the food/decor, I think they overthought it. They could have served chips and sandwiches. I don't think about what "white people" like to eat when I have thrown events for a majority or all white group. I don't think about what "black people" like to eat when I throw events for them either. I think about what is good to eat, what the reason for the event is, what the time period is for the event, etc.

I think they were too much focused on the students being "black" and overlooked the fact that they are just regular students who eat all sorts of food. Same as they did with the Latino students.

But again, the issue for the students was that they did not get to ask any questions. They also had to hear about the life story of the president, his wife, and how the person who the college is named after was "good to slaves." If they went to an event intending it to be a Q/A sessions, they would be disappointed that it wasn't and then to boot they endured a stereotypical meal. It was like they were seen as foreigners in their own school and country.

Again, I've had to endure similar meals before. I always think it is both funny and sad that some whites don't get that black people don't always have to eat soul food lol or that we need to hear them talk about slavery all the time. It is condescending and I'll admit, even though its funny, it makes me sigh and shake my head.
Here's the thing none of those foods are "black foods". You're free to like whatever but if he's trying to serve black students foods that have are part of their traditional cuisine these are the foods that will be served.

The issue is that blacks today think these foods are beneath them or object to whites identifying these foods as "black foods". This probably stems from a lack of a genuine cultural pride and frankly shame of ones ancestors.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:54 AM

11,906 posts, read 5,533,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
From the link:

As we arrived to the president's home and proceeded to go in we seen cotton as the center pieces.

Looks like education is a waste with this particular student.

I'm not fond of poor grammar, either, but that has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not this was a good idea.

Do you have anything useful to contribute?

Old 09-20-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
So imagine you and the other Irish students were invited to dinner, supposedly to talk of your experience of being Irish on campus.

You were served colcannon (mashed potatoes with cabbage), with Lucky Charms for dessert. Decor included vintage signs stating "Irish need not apply," and jokes were made about how no wine would be served as the Irish are all a bunch of drunks.
The decor was too much. I can now see the error. However what is wrong with serving traditional Irish foods for a gathering of Irish students?

Old 09-20-2017, 10:56 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,742,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Here's the thing, if I'm white and don't really know black people well what would I base their food preferences on? I could in theory just ask them or I could look around at popular culture. If I look at popular culture I'd find a movies, TV shows and overwhelming references to soul food. I'd find that blacks themselves rave about collard greens and the like. So I decide to serve it. You know serving the ethnic cuisine of your house guests is standard fare around the world. When there's a state dinner the White House will serve American food and have some items from the country of the visiting dignitary. In most normal places it shows you took the time to care.

However since black Americans have been conditioned to be victims and offended over every and any possible slight. This man;'s attempt at hospitality fell flat.

Honestly white folks should not even bother any more. The real issue is that African Americans are ashamed of their heritage and their ancestors. That's the real pity here.
Will note on the bold, not sure how you came to that conclusion based on the social media post.

I personally think that white Americans should be above stereotyping by now and they shouldn't believe everything they see in popular culture. I think people in general should be smarter than that, including whites in America.

Your bold made me think of old black American icons. If Ida B. Wells had been invited to a dinner to ask questions about lynching for instance and instead of being able to ask, she had been told how good _____ was to slaves and given collard greens and mac and cheese, I think she would have had a problem with that. WEB DuBois, I think he would have a problem with that.

So them having a problem with not getting to ask questions is them adhering to our black American ancestors and our heritage. We are not a stereotype. Our ancestors have been speaking out against stereotypes and condescending treatment for hundreds of years.

No one said that anyone was a victim. Honestly, much of your post comes off as trying to get in good with the conservatives around here. Just like I expect white Americans in general to think and not buy into stereotypes - I think more of them than that sort of behavior - I also think more of you and you should not try to make these particular white individuals out to be some sort of victims or the black students as some sort of victims. Their complaint was that they didn't get to do a Q/A like they were told. IMO that complaint is warranted. Hopefully the college has a re-do and serves some sandwiches and chips and takes the students' questions and answers said question instead of apologizing over cotton since that was not the students' gripe.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:58 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,461,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
What part of this did you think was ok ?????
Yet Washington and Jefferson stand tall and in our face every day!

Old 09-20-2017, 10:59 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,701,488 times
Yes....woe is me, it never ends.

OTE=Marleinie;49571955]https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.07221610fc07

What a sad, weak generation we have created.[/quote]

Old 09-20-2017, 10:59 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,742,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Here's the thing none of those foods are "black foods". You're free to like whatever but if he's trying to serve black students foods that have are part of their traditional cuisine these are the foods that will be served.

The issue is that blacks today think these foods are beneath them or object to whites identifying these foods as "black foods". This probably stems from a lack of a genuine cultural pride and frankly shame of ones ancestors.
Nobody said the food was beneath them. It was stereotypical though and they didn't get to ask the questions they thought they were going to be able to ask to have a dialogue about on-campus diversity and issues of black American students.

Again, this was the issue of the students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies