Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 10:15 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,080,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
So imagine you and the other Irish students were invited to dinner, supposedly to talk of your experience of being Irish on campus.

You were served colcannon (mashed potatoes with cabbage), with Lucky Charms for dessert. Decor included vintage signs stating "Irish need not apply," and jokes were made about how no wine would be served as the Irish are all a bunch of drunks.
Most people of Irish ancestry would laugh it off or ignore it altogether.

Why?

Because we're not wussies who get triggered at the drop of a Lucky Charm.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:16 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,580,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
The decor was too much. I can now see the error. However what is wrong with serving traditional Irish foods for a gathering of Irish students?
Because some Irish people like pizza? If the students picked the menu as part of a cultural celebration they had organized, it would be different.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:21 AM

2,274 posts, read 1,337,370 times
Quote:
Exactly.

Where has he been hiding that he wouldn't know this would be offensive?
The university president knew it was offensive, that was the whole point of doing it. I think it was calculated to send a message to the people that hate black activism and groups like BLM. The university president knew that he had to meet with the black students to maintain appearances but nothing could stop him from making a mockery of it.

I would like someone to ask the university how often the president has served collared greens and mac n cheese at official events. I suspect we would find out that neither of those items is part of the typical menu for other official university dinners.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:23 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,072,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
The university president may have unwittingly waded into a racial issue, but it was the way he initially handled students' concerns about the centerpieces that really lit the issue on fire.
I'll say. I just read one student's social media post. She was offended by the "Black meals" being offered..mac & cheese, collard greens, corn bread.

Mac and cheese is a new one to me but I'm in the south and collard greens, corn bread (as well as biscuits) are pretty much staples for any meal and are offered at most of the local sit down restaurants.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ces/675033001/

Old 09-20-2017, 10:24 AM

1,700 posts, read 1,044,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Apparently using twigs of cotton is a thing since I just did an image search and a lot came up, but I would expect someone in Academia to be sensitive to this. Even when mentioned to him, he sounded like an idiot. He thought it was 'fall-ish' and 'it can't be too bad since we're all wearing it'?

No wonder the black students no longer have a black advocate - who would want to deal with him?
It is a thing, especially among the more artsy/creative type of folk's home.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:26 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,105,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Most people of Irish ancestry would laugh it off or ignore it altogether.

Why?

Because we're not wussies who get triggered at the drop of a Lucky Charm.
No. Your post just indicates that you might be a bit slow.

As an Irish-American, all I can tell you, is have a nice day.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:26 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,553,800 times
Unless we get rid of descendants of all white and black slave owners, we aren't going to hear the end of this.

Should we also get rid of anybody who benefits from the fruits of the slave owners?

I think the constitution must go first.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:29 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,072,989 times
Quote:
So imagine you and the other Irish students were invited to dinner, supposedly to talk of your experience of being Irish on campus.

You were served colcannon (mashed potatoes with cabbage), with Lucky Charms for dessert. Decor included vintage signs stating "Irish need not apply," and jokes were made about how no wine would be served as the Irish are all a bunch of drunks.
You forgot to add signs with the derogatory word "Mick".

Wouldn't bother me. I'd laugh it off and then go grab a heaping of the potatoes and cabbage.

Oh and Lucky charms isn't Irsh Sodabread with lots of raisons is a better "Irish desert".

Lest you forget all cultures went through periods of insults when they came to America.
They were shunned, made fun of , etc.

But that was then. I wouldn't take what you posted today as any threat or insult but a joke instead.
And you went way further with your decor to outright make sure a perceived "hate message" is displayed.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:30 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,637,428 times
sad and weak generation? I think a sad and weak generation wouldn't say a word about it.

what type of person goes out of their way to put cotton on the table when hosting Black students?

That's like putting gas chamber decals on the table for a Jewish gathering.

This president sounds like he needs to retire.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:33 AM

14,478 posts, read 11,272,235 times
Quote:

Are you kidding with this? Were there "No negroes allowed" signs at this dinner??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.