Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 02:02 AM

10,204 posts, read 15,907,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Statistics show those two states are at the bottom of the civilized barrel in a number of ways. I'm glad you are among the 1%.

LA - LAST (50th) in Education - Congratulations! DEAD LAST in total state rankings of basic civilization
The "educated" there must never have learned about these things we call FACTS. See enclosed chart.

I know, I know...Fake News.

Try as you may, the idea that you are bragging on being in a 3rd world country is sad. You know - you can go to Russia and talk about the educated oligarchs you will find. You can even go to the sub-saharan Africa and find some highly polished and educated/wealthy citizens.

Hint - it doesn't mean much.
Hint 2 - we judge the USA by the standing of ALL of the people, not just a few you can find somewhere.
Hint 3 - your post is exhibit #1 of why you are very wrong, but my guess is that you don't understand that.

(Note- I lived in WV....the average person is not really political as they are trying to scratch out a living - maybe you met some of the coal barons who WOULD be Republicans and wealthy).
Yes a lot of people in WV don't vote (and a lot of the poorest people in Louisiana including the inner cities don't vote much either) but the voters that DO go out tend to be more conservative. I used to live in Kanawha County and while there is a liberal elite in South Hills, they were seen as out of touch with the rest of the state. Democrats completely dominated the most impoverished counties like Mingo, Logan and McDowell. MOst working people and middle class folks I knew in areas like Sissonville, Cross Lanes, Nitro, Elkview etc were highly anti-Obama. WV also transitioned from a mostly Democrat to a Republican state without a purple state phase. The war on coal and the overregulation of the chemical industry is NOT in WV's economic interests. Northern WV, including Wheeling and Parkersburg have also been hurt by the outsourcing of heavy industry due to unfair trade agreements designed to benefit foreign countries.

Louisiana is also a major energy state, in this case oil production/offshore drilling, etc. It was in our economic interest to leave the Paris accord which once again is based on unproven "facts" given that the Earth's climate has changed constantly and it is NOT the warmest ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2017, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Most Democrats aren't liberal. There are many moderate Democrats and even some conservative Democrats.

Only 42% of Democrats are liberals. 38% of Democrats are moderate and 17% are conservative Democrats.

Democratic voters increasingly embrace the ‘liberal’ label

Is the OP's question only about the 42% of Democrats that are liberal?
The majority of Democrats are very liberal as evidenced by their overwhelming support for Obamacare and the Dream Act. Perhaps Joe Manchin from WV can be considered a moderate Democrat. There used to be more moderate Democrats that were pro-life, pro-traditional marriage, pro-death penalty and anti-illegal immigration. There are fewer and fewer of these now.

Old 09-21-2017, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Didn't see this before I posted. But I agree that LA is also not all that educated of a state, however they had I believe about 4-5 counties that went for Clinton and those counties/parishes, including the one you mentioned, have high concentrations of college educated people.
St. Tammany Parish, which is the wealthiest parish (county equivalent) in Louisiana also happens to be one of the most conservative, and is certainly the most conservative in the New Orleans metro area. Yes East Baton Rouge Parish went for Hillary and it is the most college educated (with LSU being there) but within the parish, the most Democrat areas are in North Baton Rouge which is the most low-income part of town and heavily black while more suburban districts voted for Trump more. Almost all the parishes that voted for Hillary had significant black populations as in at least 35 or 40% black. In Louisiana the black population tends to be poorer and less educated and overwhelmingly Democrat, just stating some facts here.

Oh yes, and in West Virginia, the Eastern Panhandle which is the wealthiest part of the state (and home to many suburbanites who have escaped the Baltimore and DC areas) is far more Republican than areas like Mingo, Logan, McDowell Counties where most of the negative stereotypes of the state come from. Though Obama and Hillary both lost every single county in the state. Yes those were some very historic and resounding defeats.

Old 09-21-2017, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Some people keep shrieking that the rich get more federal income tax cuts than the poor. The absolute poor tend to receive a net gain from federal income taxing, meaning they receive a larger amount back than they paid in. The working poor pay a very small amount of federal income taxes. So, when a general federal income tax cut is made meant to affect the most people, of course the rich, who pay the most by far, will receive the greatest cuts. It's math.
While Mitt Romney wasn't the most tactful in saying it, 47% of people do NOT pay any income tax at all. This includes the illegal immigrants, the ghetto base in places like Chicago, Detroit etc, and also the college graduates who majored in a useless degree like philosophy or art of sociology and are now working at Starbucks. While many hardworking, skilled people like coal miners, factory workers, mechanics, etc actually do make higher incomes than them and pay more taxes.

Old 09-21-2017, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
And the most murderous state in the nation, Louisiana, is a Republican state. 2nd most murderous is Mississippi, another Republican state.
Our stats here in Louisiana are heavily skewed by inner city New Orleans, which is mostly Democrat and has Democrat judges that let criminals off with a slap on the wrist. The suburban and rural Republican areas are very safe. West Virginia is also very safe, with some of the highest gun ownership rates and one of the lowest violent crime rates in the nation. Far safer than Chicago, Detroit and Baltimore.

Old 09-21-2017, 08:57 AM

3,992 posts, read 2,456,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Totally agree! It is NOT in our economic interests to lose coal mining and petroleum industry jobs just to prevent global warming which isn't proven in my opinion. Also not in our economic interest to have unfair trade agreements that send our jobs overseas or to welcome illegal aliens that take jobs from US citizens, drive down wages, and contribute to crime and drugs.

so I assume it's def in your interest to give tax cuts to the guy who owns the mine at your expense? To allow him to provide you an unsafe workplace or deny you OT? It's in your best interest to vote against policies that benefit/create high paying jobs in good paying industries that provide work for many people to prop up a dying industry that employees less people than travel agents?
You do realize the illegal immigrant ploy is just a canard like gay marriage meant to rile you up into a frenzy to vote for the tax cuts for the mine owner. The people you are voting to give tax cuts to are the same ones than want and benefit from illegal immigrant labor. And last time I checked it wasn't the Mexican guy who cuts my lawn and has two other jobs that was caught up in the opioid epidemic.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:01 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,439,195 times
They are all geniuses, just ask them, they'll tell you.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
While Mitt Romney wasn't the most tactful in saying it, 47% of people do NOT pay any income tax at all. This includes the illegal immigrants, the ghetto base in places like Chicago, Detroit etc, and also the college graduates who majored in a useless degree like philosophy or art of sociology and are now working at Starbucks. While many hardworking, skilled people like coal miners, factory workers, mechanics, etc actually do make higher incomes than them and pay more taxes.

you guys love bashing liberal arts degrees, huh? must suck to hate college grads so much. Go check out the unemployment and financial stats showing difference between having a simple undergrad degree vs none at all. Perhaps Cletus the third generation out of work coal miner should have read a little Sartre.

I love the not even veiled racism of saying the ghetto trash pay no taxes while lauding the coal miner and factory worker who do. I thought they were the ones who had no jobs thanks to Obama that Trump was gonna get employed ASAP? so do they have jobs and you guys lied about Obama? or do they not have jobs until Trump can allow the destruction of the environment and bringing down higher paying white collar jobs through trades wars to bring back coal and low skill factory jobs? If its the latter then they aren't paying taxes either, but that's ok, b/c they are "salt of the earth" types right?

Old 09-21-2017, 09:04 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,377,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Nope, it's the red states that genally vote against their own self-interests. Middle class and poor people voting to give tax cuts to the 1%.
Biggest lie ever told. It is in everyone's interest to vote for pro-growth, job creating policies. It is in no one's interest to vote for a Democrat, unless one is voting for dependency.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Biggest lie ever told. It is in everyone's interest to vote for pro-growth, job creating policies. It is in no one's interest to vote for a Democrat, unless one is voting for dependency.

pro-growth job creating polcies = tax break for billionaires, increase pollution, defund public schools, roll back worker safety....just go take a look at Kansas, it really worked out so well, didn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies