Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2017, 04:42 PM

693 posts, read 357,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Care to elaborate?

CA is completely out of control. End illegal immigration, and do something about employers who hire illegals (I'm ok with a guest worker program, however). AND - start hiring veterans and others who want a job --- and you'll be amazed at the turnaround.

I suggest you research the various data researches that show that doing exactly what you say will hurt our economy incredibly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 04:43 PM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
Have you ever been to Wichita? There is a reason that real estate there is dirt cheap, you get what you pay for. Wichita is an aging blue collar industrial city that has suffered from significant job losses and the closure of large manufacturing employers. A large issue that leads to stagnant or declining home prices in Wichita is the massive amount of outward migration. Large portions of the under 40 population of Wichita is leaving for better opportunities in larger cities around the US. Wichita is for all intents and purposes a dying Rust Belt city located in the plains.
I take it you have never been to Wichita. You just made up a whole convoluted hypothesis because you know nothing about the area.

I am actually passing by it tomorrow. Its not in the rust belt, not even close. And the population is growing and like the other poster listed has a higher family income than Los Angeles.

Home prices are rising. Business Insider came up with the best 11 cities in the US for young home buyers and Wichita came in #7 in the US. Home prices rose 7.9% last year.

The best US cities for first-time homebuyers - Business Insider

https://www.zillow.com/wichita-ks/home-values/

Housing prices have a lot to do with available land and available homes. Kansas still has land to build on Los Angeles does not.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:44 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Every day there is at least one new anti-California thread.

Some avid Trumpists love to attack anything related to California. I guess they are getting sick of talking about Obama and Hillary so they have to find a new target.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:52 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,489,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I was looking at the high-paying jobs on job sites and most of them are cyclical sales positions, venture-capital backed high tech and bio-tech firms which are very cyclical.

Lots of extremely high paying government and health care jobs but a majority of healthcare spending is government spending, subsidies, credits or deductions.

http://www.wichita.edu/thisis/aboutw..._employers.asp

The Partnership [Site Selectors - Major Employers]

Wichita seems to have an extremely strong economy for a city of only 400,000 people.
No, there are way more high paying jobs than in just those industries. We also have a lot of finance, law, entertainment, and general consulting (like McKinsey). And, like tech and biotech, there are just a TON of those jobs.

I don't knock Wichita at all... for all I know it's a great place. I would love to try a smaller city one day... actually was on the cusp of moving to Richmond before my SO got a job opportunity he couldn't turn down (in tech).

Old 09-20-2017, 04:57 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Every day there is at least one new anti-California thread.

Some avid Trumpists love to attack anything related to California. I guess they are getting sick of talking about Obama and Hillary so they have to find a new target.
CA is the state of stoners and proudly so.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:57 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,166,113 times
"California is out of control and needs to be reigned in before it destroys our republic"

I've seen some over the top, overblown and ridiculous topic titles in this forum but this one takes the cake.

How can California destroy the republic when it is the Number One state in total economic output? Some of the low-performing red states would be wise to be more like us. Their economies would do better (yeah you Kansas).

Old 09-20-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Every day there is at least one new anti-California thread. Some avid Trumpists love to attack anything related to California.
Fits with Putin's anti-Western propaganda tactics. He hates countries that are both liberal social democracies and that are economically successful. Thus his underhanded programs to sow dissent and discord in France, Germany, the UK, and elsewhere. It's only logical he would want to do the same with California. It's already well known that Russia has paid posters in many corners of the internet and it would not surprise me if there are some here.

Old 09-20-2017, 05:07 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
I take it you have never been to Wichita. You just made up a whole convoluted hypothesis because you know nothing about the area.

I am actually passing by it tomorrow. Its not in the rust belt, not even close. And the population is growing and like the other poster listed has a higher family income than Los Angeles.

Home prices are rising. Business Insider came up with the best 11 cities in the US for young home buyers and Wichita came in #7 in the US. Home prices rose 7.9% last year.

The best US cities for first-time homebuyers - Business Insider

https://www.zillow.com/wichita-ks/home-values/

Housing prices have a lot to do with available land and available homes. Kansas still has land to build on Los Angeles does not.
Why doesn't anyone get that? You spelled it out perfectly.

Old 09-20-2017, 05:19 PM

8,553 posts, read 10,978,234 times
It was mentioned in this thread that Sessions could not stop federal funding because California won't help the federal immigration forces.

That may be true, but there are two steps Sessions can take to stop the flow of federal money to the state.

Petition the supreme court to over ride the opinion of the lower court, and if that fails, let the state know they will not be getting any more money because that money is going to be diverted to military spending instead.

I don't believe there is a constitutional directive that states the federal government MUST reserve, and remit, some of it's annual income back to the states.

If there is, show me where in the Constitution it states that directive.

The state of California is skating on very thin ice, and the leader of this country does not have a whole lot of patients with it, and it's sanctuary status.

I don't think time should be wasted on the first option, because it would be years before the court acted on it, however the second option could be done immediately, with the blessings of the republican controlled congress.

Bob.

Old 09-20-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
It was mentioned in this thread that Sessions could not stop federal funding because California won't help the federal immigration forces.
The Calif sanctuary state law does help federal ICE if the undocumented immigrant is a criminal or has committed criminal acts. California as a state only extends sanctuary to the law-abiding undocumenteds. To me that takes the wind out of Sessions' sails. He can't argue that California's sanctuary law threatens public safety, because it doesn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies