Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2017, 10:49 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,633,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
First, you need to institute English as the language of instruction in Puerto Rican schools. Then you have to switch from Spanish being the language of government and business to English.

This is the change I think New Mexico and Arizona went through to become part of the United States.
Have you ever visited Puerto Rico?

I have and can attest to the FACT that every single person I spoke to was perfectly fluent in English.
As a matter of fact, many were capable of holding conversations in both Spanish and English simultaneously.

That tells me that if anything, Puerto Rico is actually doing something a whole heck of a lot better than are schools on the mainland.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:50 AM

25,024 posts, read 27,849,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Ohh my god, no. That would be a disaster.

What? So anybody can just decide to be a state?

We as a nation have a colonial past that we need to break away from. The right thing to do is help all of those nations become independent. Not just cut them off and let them sink or swim, but continue to aid Puerto Rico during a short transitional period to independence.

It would be the best for both parties in the long run.

They are going to get that money. I don't think that's even at issue.
Face it, you don't like the potential electoral outcome. Just admit it. We wouldn't be having this discussion if PR and the other territories were guaranteed GOP votes. It's up to us, as free people, what we want. Not YOU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
First, you need to institute English as the language of instruction in Puerto Rican schools. Then you have to switch from Spanish being the language of government and business to English.

This is the change I think New Mexico and Arizona went through to become part of the United States.
Nope. Dream on. Never going to happen

Old 09-21-2017, 10:51 AM

693 posts, read 354,969 times
Quote:
Same here. They don't even identify with the United States at all.

When they're applying for handouts, then they are American.

Another bigot. Thanks for pointing yourself out.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:52 AM

3,840 posts, read 2,202,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbernard View Post
Way to paint all puerto ricans with this "having no allegiance to the US", due to the loud words of a select few.
This is not a select few. Puerto Ricans in general are loud and proud of their country - they do indeed refer to that island as a their "country."

If you ask them, they have nothing to do with the United States.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:54 AM

27,373 posts, read 28,445,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
What has happened to Puerto Rico as the result of these hurricanes is truly horrific. If aid similar to what has been offered to Texas and Florida is not forthcoming it will clearly show that however American "culture" is represented, it isn't with character or compassion.
Yes, Puerto Rico is our neighbor and a U.S. territory. So, our government should offer whatever it can to help in this situation.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
This is not a select few. Puerto Ricans in general are loud and proud of their country - they do indeed refer to that island as a their "country."

And people from their respective states, are generally proud of their state, and refer to themselves as being part of that state. Sometimes, it drills down to cities within states.

Look at southerners as an example of an entire region of america that considers themselves a subset of America.

I'm telling you, AS A PUERTO RICAN, what you're saying about puerto ricans is flat out false. You simply saying that puerto ricans want nothing to do with the USA doesn't make it a true statement. It's equally as false as someone saying that southerners want nothing to do with the USA.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:56 AM

3,840 posts, read 2,202,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbernard View Post
Folks from NY call themselves New Yorkers.
Folks from Florida call themselves Floridians.
Folks from Texas call themselves Texans.

They all consider themselves Americans.

Someone from Puerto Rico calls themself a Puerto Rican....people lose their minds thinking that they don't consider themselves American.
No, we are not misunderstanding them. Puerto Ricans call PR their country, and the independence movement has always been strong here among the youth.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:

You really shouldn't speak about something you know nothing about.

https://www.benzinga.com/general/edu...hat-that-means

Quote:
Earlier this month, 97 percent of Puerto Ricans who participated in a non-binding referendum voted in favor of Puerto Rico becoming the 51st U.S. state.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:59 AM

25,024 posts, read 27,849,772 times
Quote:
No, we are not misunderstanding them. Puerto Ricans call PR their country, and the independence movement has always been strong here among the youth.
Lol, now we all know you have no idea what you're talking about. Stop it. You're embarrassing yourself

Old 09-21-2017, 10:59 AM

I know it shouldn't, but ignorance on some matters (like painting a group of people with a broad paint brush) still astounds me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies