Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do wealthy people owe the 99% something? Should they?
Yes 78 35.62%
No 141 64.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 11:16 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,940,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
This perception is painfully skewed.
Keep on licking the boots of the wealthy maybe they will throw you a few more crumbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2017, 11:32 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,661,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
It's not fair, because for someone who only makes $20k/year, 33% would only leave them $13k, or about $1,083 a month to live on/$271 a week. That is crippling.

In case you haven't realized, most people have the same cost of living in a given metro area unless you go above and beyond the minimum. So the guy making $100k/year would be left with about $5,583 per month/$1,396 per week. If the down right cheapest lodging in town WITH roommates would cost YOU $300/month, that would put the $20k earner on the verge of homelessness.

This is why we have progressive taxation
Exactly but just becuase they are the one percent they have "tax write offs" others can't get and go from 33% to 10% while others still pay the whole 33%.

Old 09-23-2017, 12:04 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,628,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I think Bingo was being a bit sarcastic.

There is nothing dumber than poor people who are somewhat healthy. Really stupid with poor choices and they deserve the poverty they live in. I don't care.

If being rich in America is what really matters anyone with half a brain can do it but it takes stamina and a willingness to work. If you don't want to work hard then don't but don't penalize those that do.

For example let's assume you earn $20,000 annually while I earn $125,000 annually. I truly believe we should pay the exact same percentage in income tax... we each pay 20% so you owe $4,000 and I owe $25,000. What could be more fairer than that?

You work at Toys R Us 20 hours weekly and spend the rest of your time living what you consider a quality life while I work 50 hours weekly on job #1 and 20 hours on weekends on job #2. I have no life but it is the life I picked by choice but given this why is it fair to anyone here that I somehow should pay a higher percentage of my work product? I don't get it.

In the 1980's I enjoyed a good financial life and I was probably close to the 1% in income for the time but my life sucked. I am not kidding when I tell you I was working 70 and 80 hours a week and while the money I made (6 figures in the 80's) was great where is the morality of having me pay more in a percentage than someone that was lazy, stupid and lazy who worked 20 hours a week?

You wanna be rich? Get off your dead asses and get to work. In America anyone can do it if you are willing to work for it! This divide up the wealth BS is immoral and all get out.

A great video of Fauxahantas bashing the rich when she is one who lies, cheats and lies some more just like Bernie Sanders.

VIDEO: Elizabeth Warren scrambles when confronted about wealth, attacks on 1%

We must honor our native American Indians by giving them lots of money and making her President with Maxine Waters as Vice President.

Ok, let's confiscate all the wealth of the nations top 1% and divide it among the 99% of us who are poorer and needs it for bling. In the end it would only make things worth.
I agree with a lot of what you say here. I think every able bodied person should support this country.

I didn't vote because I don't think the poll is specific enough. I believe the one percent owe something, but I believe that most other people do too. The only exception to this should be the severely handicapped. And by this I am talking about those that really do not have the ability to take care of themselves or perhaps people that really don't have the cognitive ability to vote and shouldn't. Why not be a compassionate nation and support the most vulnerable? the problem is too many are taking that shouldn't. I don't think that someone should qualify for other peoples money and give nothing back just because they decide to have 7 kids they can't afford or just because they have managed to make bad decisions their whole life. When half the people don't have to pay any taxes, but can vote themselves more of other peoples money I think this is a recipe for disaster. Flat tax as you describe it is a good idea.

Old 09-23-2017, 12:05 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,015,359 times
No. If the 99% want more money then they have to work for it.

Old 09-23-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post

Platitudes

Old 09-23-2017, 12:56 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Capitalist regimes have also killed millions. Bengal famine killed three million during ww2 when the capitalist British cut off shipments to India. Since 1900 tens of millions have died from famine despite surpluses being produced yet capitalism is this perfect system?
LOL.

Ok.

Old 09-23-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
LOL.

Ok.
Do you deny that? If someone starves when there is plenty thats a problem of course you are so wrapped up in defending inequality you might see it as natural selection.

Old 09-23-2017, 01:54 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,605,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Keep on licking the boots of the wealthy maybe they will throw you a few more crumbs.
What an ill informed and distasteful comment this is.

So, is it considered "licking the boots" of government officials if I support "spread the wealth", "Robin Hood" taxation?

Old 09-23-2017, 02:01 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
Were you in the meeting with the president or his appointed cabinet members for NAFTA?

I wasn't. I wasn't even invited. I wasn't even allowed to know about it.

That's what the 1% has that the 99% doesn't. The fools who make this all about needing higher income tax are shooting themselves in the foot. Corporate America has too much power, but higher taxes isn't the solution.

With that, they do absolutely owe the 99% something.

Old 09-23-2017, 02:10 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,605,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Were you in the meeting with the president or his appointed cabinet members for NAFTA?

I wasn't. I wasn't even invited. I wasn't even allowed to know about it.

That's what the 1% has that the 99% doesn't. The fools who make this all about needing higher income tax are shooting themselves in the foot. Corporate America has too much power, but higher taxes isn't the solution.

With that, they do absolutely owe the 99% something.
That is a completely different accusation and concept than what is being put forth by the OP, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies