Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do wealthy people owe the 99% something? Should they?
Yes 78 35.62%
No 141 64.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 05:21 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Hell no. We should move from an income tax to a progressive consumption tax. The more you spend, you more tax you pay. It would reward saving money, and stop punishing people for making more money.
Absolutely agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 05:22 AM

35,672 posts, read 21,030,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Absolutely agree.
how many kids you got? or sick family member>?

Old 09-22-2017, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
If I was one of the 1%, I would hope to be like Bill and Melinda Gates. I admire them greatly. They could be selfish and self absorbed, yet they give so much to the world. Why not help others when you have billions of dollars. You can't possibly spend that much in your lifetime. So why not do some good for others.
What is their net worth?

Why haven't they given all but $1 billion away already?

Old 09-22-2017, 05:26 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,651,114 times
As the conditions shown in Soylent Green slowly become a reality, somebody must hold the wealth.

Old 09-22-2017, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Gates made his money in the US and still does. He is not Apple. MSoft is a US operation. And he does shelter income in his foundation as he has little use for further income. But that is a problem fixable by the tax code. As is the problem of hiding profits overseas.

It is simple. You go where the money is. If the very rich start limiting their income it goes somewhere. Track it and tax it. And if it ends up at lower points on the economic scale great.

And I don't think you will find much real resistance to taxes until very high brackets get above 50%. Clearing 5 million is less nice than 10 million but you don't turn down the 5 million.
ROFLMAO.

That's when you move to another country.

Why does liberal Hollywood film more films outside LA now? Cost. Even the liberals want to maximize earnings.

Old 09-22-2017, 05:28 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Forced re-distribution of wealth, and income would be a huge disincentive. We already do that through multiple taxes, and tax structures. When you GIVE people stuff, they don't value it as it is not earned. They then become entitled, and bitter because they think they deserve more.

35,672 posts, read 21,030,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
What is their net worth?

Why haven't they given all but $1 billion away already?
believe they have

I believe because it's all intertwined in stocks etc --that affect companies etc can't just do it like lotto money

Bill Gates gives away 64 million Microsoft shares in largest donation since 2000. Gates usually donates around 80 million Microsoft shares each year, and this latest gift means he’s left with nearly 103 million shares. The SEC filing also reveals that Melinda Gates holds nearly 425,000 Microsoft shares.

If Gates continues to gift shares like he has in the past, then he could reduce his stake in Microsoft to zero in 2019.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/15/1...ares-sale-2017

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times
Many peoples wealth is tied up in infrastructure. If there was no wealth in this country there would be no place to go to. No restaurants, no malls, no grocery stores. Nothing. The wealth of the people we see every day. We are privileged to go to a well stocked supermarket. A variety store , the mall .

Go to a third world country and see how you live. If not for the wealth of a nation , there would be no better life for anyone. The wealthy actually add much to a neighborhood.

When I was young, we were so grateful to see a new supermarket to move into the neighborhood. We could go there without driving farther away and sometimes could be in walking distance for many. That corner mom and pop store that sold your necessities to live was much appreciated. Today people take for granted all the stores and outlets that supply our needs for a better quality of life. I am glad there are the rich. Without them we would be living in a hell hole.

Old 09-22-2017, 05:30 AM

46 posts, read 31,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
yes most of the rich-- the very wealthy -another story greedy bistirds

Where exactly is the line between rich and very wealthy?

Who gets to decide this line?

Let's say I am worth two million do to saving my whole life and a couple of luck land purchases. If I just put that money into the market and hit a luck 20 year period that averages 10% returns I would then be worth about 16 million.

Should I be punished for this?

How much would be a suitable punishment? 20%, 50%, 75%

Now let's say I made the same wage as the guy who saved the two million but I spent my money on new cars, a fancy home, and first class vacations.

Now I am retiring and haven't saved a dime. How much of that rich SOB's money do I deserve to help pay for my old age.

Does it matter what my race, sex, height is? I mean after all the man held me down my whole life for being a short Mexican shouldn't I get a little higher percentage of that rich guys money.

Old 09-22-2017, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
how many kids you got? or sick family member>?
So, we should say everyone should be capped at what $35k a year?

How much do we limit income and how does that prevent anyone from being sick?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies