Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 07:19 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,283,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
We're not as dedicated. We have some pity because after all is said and done, these people still live in TX and they just can't escape that fact.

I sold both my houses in Dallas metro area to Californians fleeing CA for TX . In the first case the entire family of 3 generations came. The mother in law wanted to buy my second house but the son in law nixed it ( they were next door to each other). So a friend of his from CA bought it and fled CA right on his tail.

It seems what many Californians want to escape from is in fact CA itself. We have so many Calis here that In and Out sets up burger shops to cater to all the CA emigrants.

CA is a beautiful state. I would love to see the northern areas and the redwoods. But every CA transplant you talk to here in Dallas talks of how the state itself is a hellhole , and how it has been ruined. So , not one bit of envy from this Texan, and none from any Texan I have ever heard. Beautiful, yes. Screwed up severely? According to the transplants here, extremely screwed up.

Last edited by wallflash; 09-22-2017 at 07:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 07:24 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
I wonder if the idiot that wrote the article realize Washington state is a no tax state...

Old 09-22-2017, 07:27 PM

21,474 posts, read 10,572,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
Kind of like Venezuela, living on the boom.
I live in Houston and it was bad when oil prices went down, but I remember it being so much worse in the '80s. This time it wasn't as devastating. People lost jobs and got other jobs within days. It's still bad for the oil patch, but our economy is so much more diversified than it used to be. We are not like Venezuela at all.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:46 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,661,304 times
I will eat my hat if Jeff Bezos, a big time progressive, puts his second headquarters in Texas.

Say what you want about Bezos and Amazon, but any state that gets 50,000 new jobs that all average over $100,000/year, and $5 billion in new construction is going to be sitting pretty. I'll be shocked if it is ultra right-wing Texas.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:51 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,661,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I live in Houston and it was bad when oil prices went down, but I remember it being so much worse in the '80s. This time it wasn't as devastating. People lost jobs and got other jobs within days. It's still bad for the oil patch, but our economy is so much more diversified than it used to be. We are not like Venezuela at all.
I used to live in Texas, and this is totally true. There are booming tech and healthcare sectors in Texas that weren't there 30 years ago.

The big loser with probably be North Dakota, as they aren't a very diverse economy. I have a family member who went up there about 8-10 years ago when the boom first started, and he was rolling in money for several years. The problem is he blew it all on motorcycles, trucks, four-wheelers, etc. Now his hours have been cut, he gets no overtime like he used to, and he is struggling.

Old 09-22-2017, 08:01 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
so the new york slime is trying to tell people not to move to texas? well i doubt that will stop the exodus to texas, since the NY slime is losing readership. i have been to texas several times, and also to california several times. i like both states, though given the current regulatory environment in california, i wont be moving there anytime ever. texas though, if i chose to leave arizona, texas would certainly be right near the top of the list of states i would move to though.

Old 09-22-2017, 08:02 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,283,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
I will eat my hat if Jeff Bezos, a big time progressive, puts his second headquarters in Texas.

Say what you want about Bezos and Amazon, but any state that gets 50,000 new jobs that all average over $100,000/year, and $5 billion in new construction is going to be sitting pretty. I'll be shocked if it is ultra right-wing Texas.

Actually Bezos has a lot of TX connections. Whole Foods, which Amazon just bought, is based in Austin. His aerospace company is in west TX, as is his 10,000 yr clock. He has wind farms around TX, and a lot of Amazons huge fulfillment centers are in TX cities. Bezos himself used to live in TX and had grandparents here.

Austin is a fairly liberal city, and Houston had the nations first homosexual mayor. It wont surprise me for Bezos to choose on of the TX cities on his list.

Old 09-23-2017, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
I used to live in Texas, and this is totally true. There are booming tech and healthcare sectors in Texas that weren't there 30 years ago.

The big loser with probably be North Dakota, as they aren't a very diverse economy. I have a family member who went up there about 8-10 years ago when the boom first started, and he was rolling in money for several years. The problem is he blew it all on motorcycles, trucks, four-wheelers, etc. Now his hours have been cut, he gets no overtime like he used to, and he is struggling.
They do that. Most oil workers here know it's a boom or bust field and try to save for a rainy day.

Old 09-23-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Actually Bezos has a lot of TX connections. Whole Foods, which Amazon just bought, is based in Austin. His aerospace company is in west TX, as is his 10,000 yr clock. He has wind farms around TX, and a lot of Amazons huge fulfillment centers are in TX cities. Bezos himself used to live in TX and had grandparents here.

Austin is a fairly liberal city, and Houston had the nations first homosexual mayor. It wont surprise me for Bezos to choose on of the TX cities on his list.
I know they're building a huge Amazon distribution center nearby. Of course they have to have those everywhere.

Old 09-23-2017, 06:35 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times
As usual I see some really distorted views on Texas, everyone here is used to that by now. Clue, Texas is not the uber-right-wing state some of you here seem to believe it is, but hey, dislike and hate are easy when t it based on falsehoods that are bothered to be verified. Meh.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies