Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 08:35 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,153,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Wow, from $13,375 to $18,764 from 2009 to the end of Obama's term in 2017

Back in 1999, it was $5,791 for family health care per year.

Section 1: Cost of Health Insurance – 9060 | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

I guess to coastal liberals $5,300 a year more might just be pocket change but that is a huge expense for employers and employees. Feel sorry for the small businesses.

Pre-ACA: 1999-2009 = 230% increase

ACA: 2009-present = 40% increase

You were saying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 08:39 PM

18,850 posts, read 8,500,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Met with a doctor today who was seeing 42 patients a day 7 years ago, now is only seeing 19 because of all the compliance paperwork he has to do. Which is causing him to have to drastically raise his rates.
Probably not, unless he is a cash pay doc.

The third parties basically dictate our reimbursements. So I/we docs cannot so easily raise our fees. Many docs have a big problem with their EMR and have become less efficient. And that may be this docs problem. The EMR documentation takes many docs more time.

Old 09-22-2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
You ever count the amount of non-medical staff in a doctors office whose sole purpose is to process paperwork/ insurance claims? Reason #5462897642 why health care is so expensive.
How would you do this count? Our billers are in a different office, and many docs farm it out for a few percent of billings.

This hasn't perceptibly changed in many years, and Obamacare per se is no different. With the advent of electronic billing, we use fewer billers who can each do more work.

Old 09-22-2017, 08:51 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,121,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Pre-ACA: 1999-2009 = 230% increase

ACA: 2009-present = 40% increase

You were saying?
I'm wracking my brain trying to understand WTF his point was.

Old 09-22-2017, 08:52 PM

45,251 posts, read 26,498,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
How would you do this count? Our billers are in a different office, and many docs farm it out for a few percent of billings.

This hasn't perceptibly changed in many years, and Obamacare per se is no different. With the advent of electronic billing, we use fewer billers who can each do more work.
Oh they're in a different office? Nevermind they dont count then

Old 09-22-2017, 08:52 PM

2,954 posts, read 2,348,076 times
His point was he doesn't know math.

Old 09-22-2017, 08:55 PM

30,904 posts, read 37,005,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Wow, from $13,375 to $18,764 from 2009 to the end of Obama's term in 2017

Back in 1999, it was $5,791 for family health care per year.

Section 1: Cost of Health Insurance – 9060 | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

I guess to coastal liberals $5,300 a year more might just be pocket change but that is a huge expense for employers and employees. Feel sorry for the small businesses.
The way to solve health care costs has nothing to do with health insurance. America now spends over $1 Trillion a year on treating diseases that are largely preventable. Fighting with each other over the cost after people get sick with these diseases is a complete waste of energy.

There is another way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waGHi6aMzh8&t=278s

Old 09-22-2017, 09:15 PM

487 posts, read 545,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
I personally know many people who have insurance that did not have it before. I know not a single person who lost their insurance because of it. The horror stories of Obamacare are to be found only by right wing posters and web sites.

I am sure there are a few that have suffered or been adversely affected, but that is a small number to the tens of millions who have benefited.
The horror stories would come from the middle class. They are paying huge premiums and are not getting subsidies and are carrying the weight for those getting subsidies. A lot of people have not benefited from this program. It is worse for them......the middle class and small businesses were badly hurt.

I am fortunate now to have employer funded insurance and feel blessed. When we had to buy our own family coverage at $1,800 - $2,000 a month, it was a hardship but we did what we had to do. I knew people who did not get insurance because they "could not afford it" and at the same time went on lavish vacations. Sure, now they have insurance and are benefiting from these subsidies. They will not sacrifice and buy insurance on their own. I am not against someone truly needing help, but this has hurt those who have always had paid for their own insurance.

Old 09-22-2017, 09:27 PM

32,118 posts, read 15,107,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
The way to solve health care costs has nothing to do with health insurance. America now spends over $1 Trillion a year on treating diseases that are largely preventable. Fighting with each other over the cost after people get sick with these diseases is a complete waste of energy.

There is another way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waGHi6aMzh8&t=278s
Really, I take medication for high blood pressure, and medication for high cholesterol. My husband and many family members do as well. We are all fit but this is heredity. We can exercise to our hearts content and we would still need medication.

Old 09-22-2017, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two boys View Post
The horror stories would come from the middle class. They are paying huge premiums and are not getting subsidies and are carrying the weight for those getting subsidies. A lot of people have not benefited from this program. It is worse for them......the middle class and small businesses were badly hurt.

I am fortunate now to have employer funded insurance and feel blessed. When we had to buy our own family coverage at $1,800 - $2,000 a month, it was a hardship but we did what we had to do. I knew people who did not get insurance because they "could not afford it" and at the same time went on lavish vacations. Sure, now they have insurance and are benefiting from these subsidies. They will not sacrifice and buy insurance on their own. I am not against someone truly needing help, but this has hurt those who have always had paid for their own insurance.
I wouldn't call it a horror story, but a serious inconvenience. Because you do get insurance and have the security if disaster occurs.

I do agree that it remains too expensive, maybe by about 1/3. And as Medicare is about subsidized to that extent, if I were king I would make it so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies