Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 07:03 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times

Advertisements

Roy Moore in 2005: 'Homosexual conduct should be illegal' - CNNPolitics

Conservatives aren't just after gay marriage. They are after the 2003 ruling that struck down laws making homosexuality a crime across the Bible Belt. I have little doubt that the end game of these people is for being gay to be a crime worthy of the death penalty. They definitely want to return to the days where gay bars had to be in nondescript locations and hire people to watch for the police in case of a raid.

Here is another perspective.

Alabama Senate Front-Runner: Evolution Is Fake And Homosexuality Should Be Illegal | HuffPost

Basically, he says that our nation should be ruled by "God's law" and that it is above the Constitution. I'm sorry, but the Constitution, NOT the Bible is the legal governing document over our society. Nowhere does the Constitution mention religion except for saying that we are guaranteed the right to worship as we choose and there shall be no religious tests to hold public office.

Of course, "God's Law" in this instance is whatever the Baptist church interprets it as. To heck with the Catholics, Anglicans, Mennonites, United Church of Christ, Disciples of Christ, etc, let alone non-Christians. It's ironic that the Baptist church in America throughout most of its history has been very pro separation of church and state and now they are leading the charge for a state religion.

A lot of people say that its just about baking cakes or gender norms but this shows that it clearly isn't.

Do you agree with Roy Moore here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 07:05 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Keep voting. That's what I say.

The next guy will make a bunch of other stuff illegal that harms nobody either.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:31 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Alabama just HAS to elect that guy to the senate!

The GOP needs more crazy in DC.

Old 09-22-2017, 08:02 PM

18,984 posts, read 9,067,948 times
Roy Moore is the perfect guy to represent the holier than thou Bible belt that is Alabama. They are a century behind reality down there, so I don't doubt he will win his election and bring his brand of bigoted fundamentalist crazy to Washington, where he will be a target for ridicule in the Senate for years to come. Another proud representative of the GOP.

Old 09-22-2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Roy Moore is the perfect guy to represent the holier than thou Bible belt that is Alabama. They are a century behind reality down there, so I don't doubt he will win his election and bring his brand of bigoted fundamentalist crazy to Washington, where he will be a target for ridicule in the Senate for years to come. Another proud representative of the GOP.
How is outlawing homosexuality worse than outlawing drugs and prostitution? I doubt you've voted for someone who wanted to throw those laws out. The proof is they are still illegal.

Old 09-22-2017, 08:29 PM

26,464 posts, read 15,053,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
How is outlawing homosexuality worse than outlawing drugs and prostitution? I doubt you've voted for someone who wanted to throw those laws out. The proof is they are still illegal.
I think you make a fair point, but outlawing drugs and prostitution applies to all groups of people...outlawing gay marriage targets a specific identity.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I think you make a fair point, but outlawing drugs and prostitution applies to all groups of people...outlawing gay marriage targets a specific identity.
He wants to outlaw "homosexual conduct". That's not marriage.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:34 PM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post

Do you agree with Roy Moore here?
no

Old 09-22-2017, 11:35 PM

2,112 posts, read 1,140,284 times
Alabama, why am I not surprised.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:37 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
^^ this.

And if you're going to go there, then you're also right on the path to outlaw various sexual activities among heterosexuals. Take that far enough and you can go take lessons from Saudi Arabia's Morality Police.

No matter which way they spin it, conservatives are not for personal freedom; they strongly would prefer to treat as second-class citizens anyone who doesn't look and act like them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies