Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 09:33 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,088,804 times

Advertisements

From my experience as a conservative who knows a ton of conservatives and a ton of LGBT people, it's worse when a LGBT person finds out someone is conservative. Far too many people I know have lost very long standing friendships because the LGBT person decided he couldn't be friends with conservatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 09:35 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
From my experience as a conservative who knows a ton of conservatives and a ton of LGBT people, it's worse when a LGBT person finds out someone is conservative. Far too many people I know have lost very long standing friendships because the LGBT person decided he couldn't be friends with conservatives.
I'm a gay conservative. And I do agree that gay people are incredibly stupid and intolerant of conservatives.

But I've never heard of a group of gay people getting together and dragging a conservative behind their truck until they died. Or beating up a conservative and hanging him from a tree.

I've had a lot more life-changing s*** thrown at me for being gay in the midst of fellow conservatives then being conservative amongst gay people.

Old 09-22-2017, 09:45 PM

39,237 posts, read 27,623,465 times
well, pretty much all my good friends are conservative. LGBT is not in our conversation.
They are just people, no more/less.

Old 09-22-2017, 10:37 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,681,792 times
As a gay male with some conservative leanings, I can tell you that I sometimes catch hell from other conservatives when I mention being gay on right-wing websites. I still assume that most people don't care, but the ones who do care make their anti-gay opinions quite obvious to me. I try to ignore them, but it's difficult sometimes.

Even if the news story has something to do with homosexuality, if I mention being gay, a common response I get is, "Well why did you have to mention THAT? You don't need to tell us you're gay." Some people just can't stand the thought of it, I guess, and they're completely intolerant of the mere mention of it. Other times they call me a liberal, just because I mentioned being gay. It's ridiculous, really.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:19 PM

32,072 posts, read 15,077,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
Will you get more grief for coming out as LGBT to conservatives, or coming out as conservative to LGBT people?

What do you think?
I think it's a non issue because who cares.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:28 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I think it's a non issue because who cares.
I wouldn't even associate with someone who raised a stink about my sexuality or political stances.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:38 AM

8,630 posts, read 10,157,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Coming out LGBT to conservative Christian parents can result in disownment or worse, continual manipulation and harassment until you are forced to separate yourself from your family. I allowed my parents to manipulate me into going back into the closet and spending a fortune on ex-gay conversion therapy that nearly drove me to suicide. Not fun stuff.
I'm sorry to hear that and I do not deny your experience - it's horrible. However, each individual's experiences are different and it sounds like you got the short end of the stick. I am an out gay man who came out at the tail end of my military time back in the early 90's and more recently I have worked for a large Christian organization for over 7 years now and I have never experienced harassment in either scenario. It can sometimes seem easy for people to generalize groups of people based upon what they think or been taught rather than what they have personally experienced. Close-mindedness can happen in all sorts of individuals and groups of people - the left and the right. I just know that in my personal experiences, the most intolerable people I have met have been a few gay people which is sad to me because they should understand more than others that the world is not as accepting as we feel it should be and they should practice acceptance when they preach it.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:43 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,082,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I'm a gay conservative. And I do agree that gay people are incredibly stupid and intolerant of conservatives.

But I've never heard of a group of gay people getting together and dragging a conservative behind their truck until they died. Or beating up a conservative and hanging him from a tree.

I've had a lot more life-changing s*** thrown at me for being gay in the midst of fellow conservatives then being conservative amongst gay people.
And this should end the thread. You won't get a more succinct answer to your question than this, OP.

Old 09-23-2017, 08:06 AM

39,237 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Be gay. Or lesbian or bisexual. I don’t care, it doesn’t make you less of anything.

I tend to believe most Republicans (just like most Americans) don't care if you are gay.

All these said, It seems like most conservatives don’t consider LGBT rights to be an important issue. I personally don't think this is wrong. Different people have different priorities

It also largely depends on why a person is a conservative. People who are on this side for economic reasons tend to care less about social rightism. Lefties/centrists who swung right seem to act the same way.

I think it is fundamentally flawed to label somebody "conservative" just because he or she is anti-gay. lol

Old 09-23-2017, 11:32 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,076,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I think you assume all LGBT folks are liberal.
No I don't think that at all. But there is a huge push towards progressive ideals in the LGBT community. Sometimes even stating something like "having a different partner every night isn't healthy" would draw ire from certain people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies