Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 09:05 AM

4,996 posts, read 2,445,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
It doesn't matter if you include the quote and source. You're presenting this as if Maher is doing something that he did not do.

Attempting to intentionally mislead people is 100% a lie. In fact, it's quintessentially a lie. A lie is an untruth with intent to deceive. You're presenting this as if to say Bill Maher (and, by extension, all liberals since they lack agency apparently) is praising Kim Jung Un. That's not what happened.

Don't act all innocent like you're just here to talk about things that are happening. The first response to your OP was from someone who took it as you presented it; as if "leftists" all love Kim. You didn't tell the person to **** off and be more honest since you were apparently just impartially talking about Maher. Don't act like your intentions were good. No one here is that stupid.
Yeah..it's the old 'fig leaf' argument. "I said exactly what he said..so I'm an honest purveyor of information..what you interpreted is not my problem"

Lying by out of context reference. Lots of that around here.

Old 09-23-2017, 09:22 AM

25,747 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
The OP is misleading and false, however, I can understand the misunderstanding as many conservatives on this board must have learned English as a second or third language because they seem to have minimal English comprehension.

At any rate, the right only finds jokes funny if they are on a video and someone is getting walloped with a golfball, punched in the face or run over by a train. The fewer words many conservatives have to read or hear the better. English is such a complex language to learn especially for the right.
Before you disparage someone else's command of the language, you'd best, at minimum, get the grammar straight in your posts. If you stand on a rooftop and ****-a-doodle-do that you are a man of letters, you'd best be spot on with your own grammar before you push the "Submit Reply" button.

Old 09-23-2017, 09:28 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Before you disparage someone else's command of the language, you'd best, at minimum, get the grammar straight in your posts. If you stand on a rooftop and ****-a-doodle-do that you are a man of letters, you'd best be spot on with your own grammar before you push the "Submit Reply" button.
Reminds me of the saying about those that live in glass houses ..

Old 09-23-2017, 09:29 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
Yeah..it's the old 'fig leaf' argument. "I said exactly what he said..so I'm an honest purveyor of information..what you interpreted is not my problem"

Lying by out of context reference. Lots of that around here.
Explain how it's an "out of context" reference if I included the article from Huffpost ?

Old 09-23-2017, 09:36 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,185,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
He loves the Doughboy because of the tyranny he inflicts on his citizenry. It's exactly what he would like to see done here in the US. He would like to see anyone with a different philosophy from his own jailed. If that jailed individual refused to be "reformed," he would like to see his/her legs cut off as an example. If the heretic still refused to "see the light," Bloody Bill would like to see him/her tortured in some ingeniously horrendous way and put to death. For that's what anyone with an opposing viewpoint (AKA a heretic) deserves.

So, it isn't really the Doughboy that Bloody Bill likes, per se, it's what the Doughboy represents: absolute tyrannical authority and death/imprisonment/torture for those who oppose that tyranny. A system like that in place within the US would send thrills up Bloody Bill's legs and throughout his loins. He'd need to wear Depends 24/7.

The idea that Bloody Bill loves the Doughboy solely because he has an English thesaurus of obsolete words setting on an end table made of dissenter's skulls is ludicrous--that's just a very small facet of Bill's love. I wonder if Bloody Bill would cream his jeans if the Doughboy used the word "thee" as in "I sentence thee, oh heretic, to death by disembowelment"? Bloody Bill would love that, most likely. Especially with the thoughts of having that punishment inflicted on all the dotards here in the USA that believe in liberty.
I think you are over thinking this. You understand that Mr. Mahr was mocking both of them. I mock both of them too. Neither leader is worthy of respect. Rocket boy and Dotard are bad for this world. How far we have fallen.

Old 09-23-2017, 09:36 AM

4,996 posts, read 2,445,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Explain how it's an "out of context" reference if I included the article from Huffpost ?
OK..I'll bite..the thread title..leads one to believe that Bill Maher..'loves Kim'...when in fact, he does not..he was using a common colloquialism as part of a joke.

The fact that you provide the article is great...but the title is still misleading...as I think you know..and as you intended..IMO.

You could have entitled the thread 'Bill Maher approves of Kim's use of language in insulting President Trump'

Would still have had impact..and been accurate. Again, IMO.

Old 09-23-2017, 09:40 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
The context is fine. They're just angry because their hero bill said something embarrassing they can't defend.

Old 09-23-2017, 09:47 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,110,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
Just a joke..laugh..or not--and move on.

I note the deceptive thread title--guess that's how you con them into clicking?
Bingo

Thread title is deceiving and there's an agenda behind it

Old 09-23-2017, 09:50 AM

25,747 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Bingo

Thread title is deceiving and there's an agenda behind it
Ummmmmm... I think there is probably "an agenda" behind every post made on this forum. The "agenda" is called "making a point."

Can you imagine some celebrity during the final days of WWII saying, "Oh God... I LOVE this Hitler guy calling Jews vermin! ... that really showed FDR." That would not have turned out well for the celebrity.

Old 09-23-2017, 09:50 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Sure , same with the Daily Show and Jon Stewart and whoever does the show now .

Thing is many Americans actually get their news from these types of shows .
So that is the issue .
I understand that, and agree with you. Same with the late night shows like Kimmel, Fallon, Myers, etc and previously Letterman (far left, bitter hack). It is sad that many look to comedians, and entertainers to present factual information when in reality it is made up shtick in which to get laughs, or just controversial to get a predicted reaction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies