Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 10:05 PM

33,308 posts, read 12,484,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
LOL are you kidding. Sorry this is for real. But that's what you all said about watergate. I can tell you this is going to be much worse.
As long as Hillary isn't able to invalidate the election and become POTUS, the only 'bad thing' will be any potential glee that Hillary might get to experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2017, 10:08 PM

32,056 posts, read 15,037,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
As long as Hillary isn't able to invalidate the election and become POTUS, the only 'bad thing' will be any potential glee that Hillary might get to experience.
Oh, this has nothing to do with Hillary. It's all about Trump

Old 09-23-2017, 10:11 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,091,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
As usually is the case, any political discussion no matter how framed degrades just like discussions about religion.

Politics affects my daily life. I should be interested in it, as should we all. But the combination of too much information and human beings has evolved this world into a state of political muck IMO.
Right, but the thing is, discussions on politics and religion are not predestined to end in a **** throwing contest.

The problem is many don't want to engage in a discussion. They want to change your mind because you're wrong. That's how they see it. Ironically, they're more than likely the stupid one.

If people only want their views affirmed and only want to get people to agree with them, you cannot have a discussion with them. They're just immature ****s. That's more or less what it boils down to. But good political discussion comes from people who want to convert their ideas to you (not convert you) and are intersted in hearing yours back. Through this, you'll ideally learn something or come to respect a differing opinion slightly more. You may even find common ground, which is vital for the practical aspect of politics (policy making).

And a simple example: I'm in that space between centrist and leftists. I've been calling it radical centrism or moderate leftism. Somewhat ironically. But, if we're going based on parties, I'm somewhere between a liberal party and a social democratic party. Just to give you an idea of where I stand. And some of the best interaction I've had have been with libertarians and anarchists. And that's not saying those ideologies are always the best people to converse with; that's not true. But we disagreed and searched for common understanding. I had no desire to change the opinion of an anarchist, nor did they really expect me to change my views. At least not on the spot. Frankly, anyone who will change their entirely political philosophy after one conversation... I'd rather they'd do some reading before they actually go out and vote. Because... ****...

The goal of politics should be to understand. Too many don't see it that way, and this is the problem.

Old 09-23-2017, 10:13 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,347,969 times
I think most of you folks are taking this stuff way too seriously. Even if you believe politics is real (and it isn't) you have to see how futile it is to change it, don't you?

Old 09-23-2017, 10:17 PM

52,193 posts, read 52,623,070 times
Quote:
I'm done. Never in my 57 years of life have I been so turned off to politics. The political climate in this world is as volatile as the recent natural disasters. I'm tired of the debates of if you are with or against Trump. I'm weary of watching this North Korean issue escalate fueled largely in part to social media with two leaders throwing childish sounding threats at each other (yet knowing this is real life).

I can't control this crap. I have to rely on this thing we call the media to try to decipher exactly what is going on in this world. I have no more control over what Trump does as I had with Hurricanes Harvey & Irma, which is none.

The divisive behaviour of our own country (USA for me), the incomprehensible antics on a global scale between countries - why should I bother wasting an ounce of energy on it? If a nuke is going to be dropped on my house with no warning, what am I to do? I'll go to work, spend money I don't have, and continue to play this game of life. Our POTUS is at odds with sports entertainment? Like that matters? Some 33 y.o. 3rd generation whack job NK leader is who Trump is volleying insults at, and visa versa? Really?

Me? %$^# it!! whatever will happen will happen. Let the GOP look like fools yet again with the ACA attack. Let's continue to chatter about Putin and Russian involvement in the election. Let's continue to field discussions about "crooked Hillary", a non issue in today's world. People are acting like complete morons these days, Charlottesville for example.

I'm going to continue to fight this ever losing battle of life, and politics can take the trunk on this journey.
I feel this way everyday... I just can't seem to shake it. The world and the media and everything around us seems to put this **** into your face, EVERY SINGLE DAY.

I hope we can get to a place where this isn't front news stuff... I doubt it though.....

Old 09-23-2017, 10:36 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,895,040 times
I enjoy discussing politics and I think it's important for the people of a country to be involved in political discussion, but it's not healthy to focus on politics every minute of every day. Moderation is important. News, whether political or not, is typically negative and it's not good to be consumed with those stories. They don't reflect real day to day life. All they create are political extremes. Half the political threads on here have a single agenda, to bash others perspectives. It's quite rare to see anyone promote their own views or offer a solution. More often then not it just resorts to name calling, using the term racist on conservatives or some derogatory word for millienals and liberals like snowflake. In reality only a tiny portion of those people fall into those categories, but if you constantly watch these threads or the news, your going to base your worldview and political views based on what you take in.

Old 09-23-2017, 10:54 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,444,662 times
Quote:
This is a large part of my distaste for politics, separating left/right and arguing about it. It's much bigger than that, and pointing fingers at sides is what politics is at seemingly an all-time low.
I agree with you, I hate the whole "oh but they did it first" thing.

But we have hundreds of thousands of liberals tweeting #takeaknee right now.

A mainstream position on the left is that NFL players should take a knee during the anthem.

It is a false equivalency at this point. NFL fans want nothing to do with politics. The left wants to force politics on all of us. The liberal echo chamber has just become toxic.

And I voted for Hillary!!!! In the primary and general. I have been literally forced out of the left.

Old 09-23-2017, 11:09 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,581,324 times
I'm sick of everything about politics in this country, and would probably leave for 10 cents and a plane ticket if I had the chance.

Old 09-24-2017, 12:18 AM

36,856 posts, read 17,347,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I'm sick of everything about politics in this country, and would probably leave for 10 cents and a plane ticket if I had the chance.
Join the apolitical movement. You'll feel better.

Old 09-24-2017, 05:12 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudduck View Post
It doesn't help that the left is unhinged about everything.
In your opinion, an opinion that labels half of your fellow countrymen. no hope whatsoever for your country if that is the case.Whats your plan to deal with 100 million Democrats? because they aint going away eh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies