Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 11:21 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
This is an odd story to say the least. I'm trying to figure out how government deals with this kind of situation when it's a problem that lies at the confluence of religion and social welfare. We have similar problems in Northern Arizona with the FLDS.

Raids in New Jersey town target ultra-Orthodox Jews accused of welfare fraud. 'What is going on here?' - LA Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
I'm not touching this thread with a ten foot pole. Good luck Detroiter.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
What's going on here is extensive welfare fraud. These people should be prosecuted to the full extent of the Law. Religion is no excuse for criminal acts.
Agreed and how!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2017, 12:08 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,039,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Public schools have destroyed public schools. I have no issues with this as long as the students they are producing are actually learning something. Also, one could easily argue singling out a school because it's religious is a violation of separation of church and state.

I agree. I had a problem with being forced to support schools that are diametrically opposed to values I upheld in my home. The public schools are full of violence, drugs and bullying. The religious school I put my daughter in was nothing like that.

Old 09-24-2017, 01:03 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,456,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
The OP definitely has a thing for Jews. In this case, he may be disappointed in that most Jews don't identify with this group at all. Most Jews view this community just as much as a cult as any non Jew does.
As the doc said, Jewish friends I've spoken with don't hold this particular community in high esteem. This particular slice of the Lakewood community in question is nothing more than a corrupt society of grifters who've traded thier votes in order to feed at trough of public assistance in a fashion beyond even the typical histrionics politicians trot out for welfare reform. Anyone who wants to learn more use me google and see the ludicrous situation in Lakewood these days. Any politician serious about cleaning up government abuse would put thier proverbial money whet there mouth is by starting with this community asap, however while this has been an open not so secret for years it only just started being challenged legally with several busts of families on welfare with multi million dollar real estate holdings and millions of unreported income. Not to politicize too much here but this group voted for Trump overwhelmingly.

Old 09-24-2017, 01:05 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,456,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
I agree. I had a problem with being forced to support schools that are diametrically opposed to values I upheld in my home. The public schools are full of violence, drugs and bullying. The religious school I put my daughter in was nothing like that.
Two can play this game of anecdotal evidence too. In my are public schools thrive sending kids off to ivy or near ivy schools while outperforming most religious schools. I know a plethora of children from religious school abusing drugs, committing crime, and bullying. Perhaps you should move to an area featuring better public schools as I did.

Old 09-24-2017, 01:13 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
As the doc said, Jewish friends I've spoken with don't hold this particular community in high esteem. This particular slice of the Lakewood community in question is nothing more than a corrupt society of grifters who've traded thier votes in order to feed at trough of public assistance in a fashion beyond even the typical histrionics politicians trot out for welfare reform. Anyone who wants to learn more use me google and see the ludicrous situation in Lakewood these days. Any politician serious about cleaning up government abuse would put thier proverbial money whet there mouth is by starting with this community asap, however while this has been an open not so secret for years it only just started being challenged legally with several busts of families on welfare with multi million dollar real estate holdings and millions of unreported income. Not to politicize too much here but this group voted for Trump overwhelmingly.
The Senator is what party? The Congressman? The Governor? Trump is what party? I'll give you a hint: It starts with the letter R. Black Hat Ultra Orthodox Jews BLOCK vote. Do you know what block voting is?

Old 09-24-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
Two can play this game of anecdotal evidence too. In my are public schools thrive sending kids off to ivy or near ivy schools while outperforming most religious schools. I know a plethora of children from religious school abusing drugs, committing crime, and bullying. Perhaps you should move to an area featuring better public schools as I did.
All my schools were inner city NYC. There was no crime and no bullying. Our worst drug was marijuana.

Old 09-24-2017, 02:50 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Trump/Kushner policies in practice.

<<In all of New Jersey, Lakewood had the highest concentration of Donald Trump voters in last year’s presidential election – 74.4%. With their children all in private religious schools, they are strong supporters of Betsy DeVos, the education secretary who has called for school vouchers. Charles and Seryl Kushner, the parents of Trump aide and son-in-law Jared Kushner, are benefactors of the Beth Medrash Govoha yeshiva, and the rotunda of the school’s 2-year-old main building is named for them.

Ultra-Orthodox votes are even more important in local political races. They have installed candidates who favor their interests on the Lakewood school board, township committee and zoning board.
Lakewood’s 30,000 ultra-Orthodox children are ferried to 130 private religious schools on public school buses — boys and girls separately, since they attend single-sex schools — while public schools with only 6,000 children, mostly Latino and African American, have been gutted by a lack of funding. (This is in part due to a quirk in New Jersey’s school financing formula that requires busing for private school students but reimburses the districts based on public school enrollment.)>>

Raids in New Jersey town target ultra-Orthodox Jews accused of welfare fraud. 'What is going on here?' - LA Times

Vouchers used to destroy the public schools. Public funds are effectively being used to support a religious movement. This is the result of the blurring of the Constitutional mandate in the last half century to separate church and state.
Damn! I didn't realize that this was so bad in New Jersey. I figured that this was a small, isolated situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
No it's not and you know it. We've covered this topic numerous times and we both know it will turn into a antisemitism thread before it makes it to post #20.

NJ is attempting to not let Lakewood get to level of criminal activity that NY has turned a blind eye to for decades for political block voting gain. If they don't get control of Lakewood, then they will have a Kiryas Joel on their hands.
4 pages in...not a single anti Semitic post.

Chill out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
The OP definitely has a thing for Jews. In this case, he may be disappointed in that most Jews don't identify with this group at all. Most Jews view this community just as much as a cult as any non Jew does.
What "thing" do I have for Jews and why would I be "disappointed?" Based on what?

How many threads have I started about Jews since I've been on CD? Go ahead...count 'em. YOU'RE the one that's gonna be disappointed.

When there are threads on CD discussing black folks (every other thread sometimes), I haven't noticed your reticence to comment, and comment quite unfavorably too....every chance you get.

So don't get your hackles up now.

Old 09-24-2017, 02:56 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
put them all in Jail.

Old 09-24-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:

4 pages in...not a single anti Semitic post.

We're still on page 1 and the children have been playing nice.

Old 09-24-2017, 03:56 PM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:

What "thing" do I have for Jews and why would I be "disappointed?" Based on what?

How many threads have I started about Jews since I've been on CD? Go ahead...count 'em. YOU'RE the one that's gonna be disappointed.

When there are threads on CD discussing black folks (every other thread sometimes), I haven't noticed your reticence to comment, and comment quite unfavorably too....every chance you get.

So don't get your hackles up now.
Simply not true. If you were to bring up every single thread about black people. I would be on very very few of them. Almost none.

If I were to bring up every single thread about Jews and/or Israel, you would be on almost all of them.

I would be willing to bet that for every black-related thread you could find me on, I could come up with at least 10 that you couldn't find me on. Actually I think a lot more than that. I don't think you can say the same for the Jewish/Israel threads.

Are you really going to make me go through the work of linking all the threads? We both know what I am saying is true.

I always thought it was strange that a black guy takes such an interest in Jewish issues, doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me,but, whatever.

Also, I don't know what kind of unfavorable posts about black people you are talking about. I don't have unfavorable views about black people as a whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies