Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 01:34 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Who's saying not to discuss the story?
You are. You're telling the OP that if he discusses anything regarding Jewish people, he's "obsessed"...well, you worded it differently, but it's what you said. Now, on the one hand, I find that hilarious because the OP himself has accused me of being "obsessed" with black people when I go in to a thread talking about black people...so that part is fun.

On the other hand, because I know what that's like and how ridiculous of a claim it is, the OP should be allowed to start any thread he wants without someone stating that it's "strange that a black guy takes such an interest in Jewish issues, doesn't make a whole lot of sense". Which is, really, saying the same thing.

It's not hard to find these stories. It's not like they are hidden stories. This is a discussion forum, and these are the stories that are in the news.

If you had left it at: "Why do you care? You have 'no dog in this'?" as the OP is fond of telling everyone else to mind their own business, then you'd have something. But implying that anyone is anti Jewish because they bring up news stories that are making headlines is silly. Maybe he is, I don't really care. I only care that people not try to shut others down because they think they are obsessed or "takes such an interest" in something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 02:17 PM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
You are. You're telling the OP that if he discusses anything regarding Jewish people, he's "obsessed"...well, you worded it differently, but it's what you said. Now, on the one hand, I find that hilarious because the OP himself has accused me of being "obsessed" with black people when I go in to a thread talking about black people...so that part is fun.

On the other hand, because I know what that's like and how ridiculous of a claim it is, the OP should be allowed to start any thread he wants without someone stating that it's "strange that a black guy takes such an interest in Jewish issues, doesn't make a whole lot of sense". Which is, really, saying the same thing.

It's not hard to find these stories. It's not like they are hidden stories. This is a discussion forum, and these are the stories that are in the news.

If you had left it at: "Why do you care? You have 'no dog in this'?" as the OP is fond of telling everyone else to mind their own business, then you'd have something. But implying that anyone is anti Jewish because they bring up news stories that are making headlines is silly. Maybe he is, I don't really care. I only care that people not try to shut others down because they think they are obsessed or "takes such an interest" in something.
But your statement wasn't in reference to the OP.

You said "We've got plenty of threads on what white people do. We've got plenty of threads on what black people do. But now we aren't supposed to discuss a news story because it involves Orhodox Jews?"

There is nothing to back up this assertion. You may have noticed that I have not gotten involved in any of the other threads about it that MPowering linked, nor have I bothered with the one that is currently in the NJ forum, where I spend much of my time. This wasn't about this particular story. This story could be on the front page of every newspaper in the country for all I care.

Last edited by AnesthesiaMD; 09-25-2017 at 02:28 PM..

Old 09-25-2017, 03:26 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
But your statement wasn't in reference to the OP...
Yes, it was. I stated that in my very first sentence:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Not a big fan of the OP, and he can certainly fight his own little battles, but the last few pages have been stupid. I'm not getting this "anti-Jewish" vibe that is being claimed. Do we not create threads about a news story simply because it contains people of a certain religion or a race? Is this not a discussion forum? Why would such a thread be a threat to anyone?

The thread is, essentially: "X people did X".

We've got plenty of threads on what white people do. We've got plenty of threads on what black people do. But now we aren't supposed to discuss a news story because it involves Orhodox Jews?

Doesn't work that way.

And being against the US supporting Israel on everything is not "Anti Jewish".

As for the story itself, I don't care who they are, you commit fraud, you go to prison. I hate people who abuse welfare...it's theft from taxpayers. Our government does that well and fine all by itself, it doesn't need any help.
Quote:
...You said "We've got plenty of threads on what white people do. We've got plenty of threads on what black people do. But now we aren't supposed to discuss a news story because it involves Orhodox Jews?"

There is nothing to back up this assertion.
My above comment shows otherwise.

Quote:
You may have noticed that I have not gotten involved in any of the other threads about it that MPowering linked, nor have I bothered with the one that is currently in the NJ forum, where I spend much of my time. This wasn't about this particular story. This story could be on the front page of every newspaper in the country for all I care.
MPowering is not the OP.

Yes, the story is on the front page, and the OP created a thread about it that you have taken issue with because you think "it's strange" that he's talking about the news. I don't care about the OP, I care about the fact that anyone would tell anyone else on here that they are "anti" Jewish or anti black or anti "brown people" simply because they are talking about current news. SO WHAT if they are on a plethora of threads about X religion or X race. It's a discussion forum, there's no limit on how many threads about X one can comment on or create, and it doesn't imply anything other than an interest in what is going on.

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 09-25-2017 at 03:36 PM..

Old 09-25-2017, 03:45 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,487,836 times
My family members have been talking about the issue of Orthodox Jewish communities in the NY/NJ area taking advantage of the system for awhile now (yes they're Jewish themselves). No harm in the authorities looking into it if it really is such a big unspoken issue... if they catch people who truly are taking advantage, then good.

Old 09-25-2017, 03:49 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Well, I hope you're happy, Desertdetroiter. You made white people fight!

Old 09-25-2017, 03:57 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
This is an odd story to say the least. I'm trying to figure out how government deals with this kind of situation when it's a problem that lies at the confluence of religion and social welfare. We have similar problems in Northern Arizona with the FLDS.

Quote:
"You have a family or six or seven or eight, somebody is paying the mortgage, somebody is paying the taxes, they have two cars in the driveway, they’ve got food for all the kids … and they’re reporting their total income at $10,000,’’ said Joseph Coronato, the Ocean County prosecutor who took the lead in the case. “You have to ask — what is going on here?’’

Raids in New Jersey town target ultra-Orthodox Jews accused of welfare fraud. 'What is going on here?' - LA Times
Welfare is about income not wealth. You win the lottery and don't work, you get food stamps

Michigan lottery winner, Leroy Fick, gained infamy for continuing to collect food stamps after winning $2 million. Fick's lawyer successfully argued that he had not broken any rules because his lottery winnings were an asset, not income, and state law based food stamp eligibility solely on income.

The case prompted a change in state law that required lottery officials to notify the state of new winners and that introduced new asset tests to determine eligibility for food stamps.

Old 09-25-2017, 04:50 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
I'm actually surprised that they have busted the crooks in the NY State communities who have been playing the same game stealing millions from the public coffers.

Old 09-25-2017, 05:32 PM

8,494 posts, read 3,335,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
They're basically a cult like the FLDS, who are also very adept at welfare fraud (they call it "bleeding the beast").

A lot of liberal Jews (like me) find them embarrassing.
Okay ... maybe ??? ... back to the thread topic.

What's interesting here should be how - in this example - a group of Orthodox Jews or, yes, too, the FLDS and also some Romana families draw on some religious or cultural tenet to supersede the "plain meaning" of a law or what's considered commonly acceptable.

The individuals pulling it off aren't outliers within their grouping (malcontents, sociopathic etc.) but have the support of their peers.

I know nothing of the FLDS ... but after a trip to eastern Europe got interested in the Romana and picked up some books trying to understand the ethos. My kid now works as a restaurant hostess - I was absolutely amazed to find that Romana trying to get free meals are a persistent problem at her local restaurant. Didn't know that many were in the area.

As for Judaism, years ago I stumbled across an interesting analysis comparing the different ethical systems (Judaism, Christianity, with one more legalistic, one more moralistic) that made clearer some of the historical clashes over the years. Inherent misunderstanding and miscomprehension..

(And, yes, the Lakewood group is not at all representative of Orthodox Jews, but more an example of rationalization taken to a far extreme.)

So, yes - again, the individual tenets are intriguing. But also the willingness of fringe groups driven by religiosity or what have you to place their own "rightness" above the law.

Old 09-25-2017, 05:47 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
come on. I read your angry posts how they use the tithe money, bilk blacks of their money in poor neighborhoods. Yes, I see the materialism of these evangelists. It is sickening to me.

I give to Samaritan's Purse who goes around the world and most of the money is actually spent on the people in need. I watch where I put my charity money.

I am from NJ and know Lakewood and see the Jewish people there. If they are guilty they will pay for their thievery.
Well, am I wrong about what I said?
Quote:
And I'm not even defending these guys. I feel about as connected to them as you probably feel connected to the Amish. This wasn't about that. This was about the way you involve yourself in all of these Jewish related threads, and expect nobody to take note of the fact. The reason I said I thought it was strange for some black guy to take such an interest, is because I expect that kind of attention from an inbred hillbilly or a skinhead. Maybe if you were a supporter of the Nation of Islam, that would explain it, but you are not. I'll just chalk it up to some weird obsession.

Also, I don't know that I would say "all ethnic groups are fair game". I don't think that any of them are fair game, because I believe in individuality more than groups. I don't see the point in denigrating an entire ethnic group no matter who it is. I defend against Jewish stereotypes the same way you defend against black stereotypes. The better question would be, Why would you wish to deny me that, or expect otherwise?

Or are you expecting me to argue with the same vigor for other ethnic groups? That would be strange coming from someone who often says "I have no dog in this fight."
Again, have you said anything to non blacks that obsessively make threads about black peope?

This thread isn't about Judaism. I said "orthodox" in the thread title...I didn't even use the word Jew or Jewish.

I asked a fair question...how does government handle cases of extreme sensitivity when an issue lies at the confluence of fraud and religion. Simple as that. Not one damn negative word about Jews! Not just in this thread, but in ANY thread.

You're trying to shut me up because in your mind, I don't have a right to bring up this issue. Man, please. You don't try to shut white non Jews up, so what makes you think that you can do it to me?

You'd better go on somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
If someone had posted that Blacks or Whites in Appalachia were committing welfare fraud, those pushing back here would be criticizing it with 1000 posts. However, it should be hush hush when Jewish welfare fraudsters are involved. As for the claim of anti-semitism, the late Israeli politician, Shulamit Aloni was at least honest on how "protectors" used "the term" to beat back anything negative of Jewish people or Israel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shulamit_Aloni
Believe that!!!!

If this had been about a black sect, this would already be a hundred pages long.
Quote:
Who's saying not to discuss the story?
You did. Who else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
In fairness to the Ayatollah DD there have been three other threads on this that he hasn't commented on - nor was there a pile-on of the original poster.

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...mitism-nj.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...-shocking.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...lways-who.html

A little confused myself about why this took the turn it did.
Because that poster thinks that HIS ethnic group is off limits.

Dude is being the very definition of a snowflake, politically. But he can go kick a rock.

Old 09-25-2017, 06:16 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Okay ... maybe ??? ... back to the thread topic.

What's interesting here should be how - in this example - a group of Orthodox Jews or, yes, too, the FLDS and also some Romana families draw on some religious or cultural tenet to supersede the "plain meaning" of a law or what's considered commonly acceptable.
Because two of these 3 groups claim their lifestyle is their faith everyone is afraid to touch the sacred cow of religion. I know from experience with other "orthodox" communities that one of their favorite scams is to make their home a yeshiva (school) which exempts it from tax obligations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies