Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2017, 08:19 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie682 View Post
The NFL and NBA are employers. Most people are not free to spout their political beliefs at work or they would be fired. Your employer does not have to give you the opportunity to express your political views at work. If you want to be politically active do it on your own time, otherwise shut up and play your sport or sing your song. You are paid millions of dollars to be an entertainer. They should be thankful they live in the USA and make obscene amounts of money for doing something so completely ridiculous. How many of these rich football players or basketball players would actually attend a BLM rally in the streets? I doubt very many of them. Seems pretty easy to drop to a knee in the confines of a nice stadium. I'd have more respect if they were actually doing something to further their cause in the real world.
Well, obviously their employers aren't willing to fire them over it. Yet the President seems to think HE should have the power to DEMAND that employers fire their employees over it.

He's wrong, as usual, and it won't happen but that is what he is using the bully pulpit for.

Kapernick, for example, has donated over a million dollars AND his time to underprivileged kids. And DJT has done what exactly?

Ran for president to serve his own ego? Dodged the draft due to some bullshyte bone spurs? Screaming LOCK HER UP at his stupid rallies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 08:35 PM

34,059 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post

Kapernick, for example, has donated over a million dollars AND his time to underprivileged kids.
The never was has plenty of time, and no job.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:28 AM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Because that's exactly what conservatives seem to want by cheering the recent involvement of the President in this whole NFL kerfuffle. Look, I don't personally support what football players are doing, and I would/do stand for our anthem, but that's not the point here

In case you don't understand how First Amendment works, here's a primer for you: the government shall conduct no policy that obstructs exercise of religion, free speech, or right to assembly..

That means that what happens with sports players on the NFL is to play out as a PRIVATE matter.. Sports players are free to stand out sit out the anthem, NFL is free to fire or keep them, and you the viewing public are free to support or judge / boycott the whole thing. May the strongest force win.

But when you have the leader of our nation butting in, he isn't just speaking as a private citizen; he is inevitably speaking with the weight of the public office he represents. His words can and will pressure people to conform in certain ways, which ends up as de facto government policy that can ultimately control how you behave.

So go ahead, Trumpers, and keep supporting the blurring the line between private expression and public censure; you'll end up with this, where you have to show up and "enthusiastically" participate or else you lose your job, your kids don't get higher education, or your family members even disappear in prison. Believe me, I know. I came from such a country.

Surprised (or maybe not) that you supposed freedom-loving cons aren't smart enough to put this together. Just because Trump is expressing an opinion you like doesn't mean it isn't dangerous precedent.
Once again, Leftists remain clueless and engrossed in self delusional lies. Yes, I fully support the NFL players boycotting the flag as well as my right and the right of millions of Americans to stop watching those oppressed millionaire crybabies.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:47 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Because that's exactly what conservatives seem to want by cheering the recent involvement of the President in this whole NFL kerfuffle. Look, I don't personally support what football players are doing, and I would/do stand for our anthem, but that's not the point here

In case you don't understand how First Amendment works, here's a primer for you: the government shall conduct no policy that obstructs exercise of religion, free speech, or right to assembly..

That means that what happens with sports players on the NFL is to play out as a PRIVATE matter.. Sports players are free to stand out sit out the anthem, NFL is free to fire or keep them, and you the viewing public are free to support or judge / boycott the whole thing. May the strongest force win.

But when you have the leader of our nation butting in, he isn't just speaking as a private citizen; he is inevitably speaking with the weight of the public office he represents. His words can and will pressure people to conform in certain ways, which ends up as de facto government policy that can ultimately control how you behave.

So go ahead, Trumpers, and keep supporting the blurring the line between private expression and public censure; you'll end up with this, where you have to show up and "enthusiastically" participate or else you lose your job, your kids don't get higher education, or your family members even disappear in prison. Believe me, I know. I came from such a country.

Surprised (or maybe not) that you supposed freedom-loving cons aren't smart enough to put this together. Just because Trump is expressing an opinion you like doesn't mean it isn't dangerous precedent.
did you even bother to listen to what trump said? or are you just parroting what some idiot left wing media loud mouth is claiming? the truth is trump asked the crowd at the rally wouldnt you like to hear the team owner say, get that SOB of the field, your fired. he was not trying to force anyone to make a public display of patriotism.

but one more time, while these players have the right to peacefully protest in what ever manner they see fit, the DO NOT HAVE freedom from consequences. and that is the part you liberals seem to forget.

you cannot say anything you want without consequence from private employers or private individuals, only from government.

Old 09-26-2017, 04:41 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
I love the double standards of Trump and his loyalist. Like Trump they want to be free to say or do whatever but if the left saying their disapproval then it's wrong and Un-American and you be forced to go live some where else. Trump is writing checks his tiny little mouth can't cash with N. Korea yet all his loyalist can focus on is people not standing for the anthem.
Attached Thumbnails
Do you want to live in a country where the government forces you into public demonstrations of patriotism?-trumpex.jpg  

Old 09-26-2017, 04:46 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
There's nothing bad about patriotism or the pledge.

Who says they can't make up their own minds?

Funny how people who are against the pledge are fine with indoctrination of Liberal values in education all the way through college.

Tell you what...

I'd give up the pledge if we take ALL forms of social indoctrination out of the schools and go back to the job they are actually supposed to be doing....

You remember...... reading, writing and arithmetic?

You put a 2 year old in Sunday school odds are they will still be going to church when they are older. Not out of anything other then scared of going to hell. I never said there is anything bad about being patriotic or saying the pledge but one also has the right to refuse to either one. Take religion out of the pledge because we're not all Christians I agree to that but it still doesn't mean that one should have to say it.

Old 09-26-2017, 04:56 AM

1,158 posts, read 961,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Well, obviously their employers aren't willing to fire them over it. Yet the President seems to think HE should have the power to DEMAND that employers fire their employees over it.

He's wrong, as usual, and it won't happen but that is what he is using the bully pulpit for.

Kapernick, for example, has donated over a million dollars AND his time to underprivileged kids. And DJT has done what exactly?

Ran for president to serve his own ego? Dodged the draft due to some bullshyte bone spurs? Screaming LOCK HER UP at his stupid rallies?
I don't agree with the President and I didn't vote for him, however in America your employer can tell you to keep your politics to yourself at work. Nobody cares.

Personally, as a fan I want to see the game. Not sure if you've been to an NFL game lately but it costs a fortune. Parking alone in my city is $80.00. Most people cannot afford to attend. I have no desire for politics to invade entertainment. There is a time and a place to express your political opinions and at your job is not it. A huge turnoff.

Old 09-26-2017, 04:57 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
From the OP...

Quote:

This is really a non-issue, in that there are no laws in play forcing people to say the pledge.

The president is exercising his free speech as well. I don't support the manner he is engaging this, but at least he has a passion for the country.

Yes - his words have weight, just like Obama's. So what?

The bold red is interesting and lends itself to the liberal mindset. Think of the conservative actors in Hollywood who can't find work. Look at how they will hi-jack sports with politics. Conservative teachers and students are being forced out in colleges. YouTube/Google/Facebook will censor and hide information contrary to the liberal agenda. They will beat you up for non-conformance.

The bold red above is what liberals do.

Old 09-26-2017, 05:18 AM

23,561 posts, read 17,232,713 times
It all began when the social justice activists. with the help of the media, banned words, statues and books.

then we saw the head of the justice dept along with the prezident falsify a warrant to spy on journalists for opposing that president;s political position.

All oppososition to that president was deemed racist by legislators, mainstream media and activists.

Conservative speech was institutionally banned on campuses.

Now you speak of a tradition being disrespected and the president shares the same feeling as the majority of America as government control??????

Old 09-26-2017, 05:47 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,761,938 times
Patriotism should not be "forced". As an American citizen you should strive to be patriotic as the flag is a symbol of freedom and represents all of the men and women who have died to protect those freedoms. Everyone has the right to protest, but to protest the very symbol of America that allows them to do so is disrespectful even if you do it in a respectful way. Respect the flag, respect America, be proud to be American. If you don't like it, leave...in my opinion protesting the National Anthem is a form of treason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies