Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 12:18 PM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Yes it is! IF you tell a child that they have to recite "whatever" and you don't teach them the meaning of whatever then you are forcing them.

well, to me, it is simply respect. No more/less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2017, 12:20 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,634,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
We already do. Many schoolchildren have to recite the Pledge of Allegiance at school every morning. At least they did when I was in school.
that varies by state and even in states where the law says you don't have to, teachers will order kids to do it...

In WA children must stand and be respectful if they do not want to partake.

seems like a fair enough balance to me... but worth nothing the whole pledge thing is extremely odd and normally seen in dictatorships, single party nations, totalitarian states.

Old 09-24-2017, 12:22 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post

well, to me, it is simply respect. No more/less.

Respect for what/who? God? Country?

Old 09-24-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Yes it is! IF you tell a child that they have to recite "whatever" and you don't teach them the meaning of whatever then you are forcing them.
well, these children learned this at an early age. In my world, children are taught the following, but I don't believe every child should behave like this. To each his/her own

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhkMwAhIOcU

Old 09-24-2017, 12:23 PM

4,067 posts, read 2,272,983 times
Quote:
Then teach them. Maybe that's the issue that has led us to the crap we are in. Kids these days have absolutely no appreciation on how good they have it in America.

Old 09-24-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Respect for what/who? God? Country?
Country.

and I don't believe you need to agree with me though. Like I said, to each his/her own.

Don't mean to bring god into the discussion. It has nothing to do with God.

Old 09-24-2017, 12:28 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,754,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Because that's exactly what conservatives seem to want by cheering the recent involvement of the President in this whole NFL kerfuffle. Look, I don't personally support what football players are doing, and I would/do stand for our anthem, but that's not the point here

In case you don't understand how First Amendment works, here's a primer for you: the government shall conduct no policy that obstructs exercise of religion, free speech, or right to assembly..

That means that what happens with sports players on the NFL is to play out as a PRIVATE matter.. Sports players are free to stand out sit out the anthem, NFL is free to fire or keep them, and you the viewing public are free to support or judge / boycott the whole thing. May the strongest force win.

But when you have the leader of our nation butting in, he isn't just speaking as a private citizen; he is inevitably speaking with the weight of the public office he represents. His words can and will pressure people to conform in certain ways, which ends up as de facto government policy that can ultimately control how you behave.

So go ahead, Trumpers, and keep supporting the blurring the line between private expression and public censure; you'll end up with this, where you have to show up and "enthusiastically" participate or else you lose your job, your kids don't get higher education, or your family members even disappear in prison. Believe me, I know. I came from such a country.

Surprised (or maybe not) that you supposed freedom-loving cons aren't smart enough to put this together. Just because Trump is expressing an opinion you like doesn't mean it isn't dangerous precedent.
Hell no!!!!

Old 09-24-2017, 12:30 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,391,726 times
I'd be willing to wholeheartedly support the Pledge of Allegiance, under one condition:

President Trump and his many associates who are currently under federal investigation must clearly and completely demonstrate that their allegiance is to the United States of America - meaning, the country's values and all of its people, not just Trump's political supporters - rather than what so many Americans suspect their actual allegiance is to: namely, those who support Trump's political agenda, whether they be domestic right-wing extremists and white supremacists or a hostile foreign government (see: the aforementioned federal investigations).

I'll be waiting with eager expectation for Trump's presidential leadership on this matter.

Old 09-24-2017, 12:37 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,900,516 times
A lot of people don't wish to worship a flag that represents the evil done by the US Military Industrial Complex over the decades all over the globe. Saluting the flag to their way of thinking MIGHT seem to indicate approval for all of the wars, and "democracy forcing" we do under the guise of "freedom." Patriotism isn't all about dead soldiers. What about farmers, brick layers, medical teams, bakers, teachers, utility workers, etc ?

Old 09-24-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
A lot of people don't wish to worship a flag that represents the evil done by the US Military Industrial Complex over the decades all over the globe. Saluting the flag to their way of thinking MIGHT seem to indicate approval for all of the wars, and "democracy forcing" we do under the guise of "freedom." Patriotism isn't all about dead soldiers. What about farmers, brick layers, medical teams, bakers, teachers, utility workers, etc ?
the flag represents the evil done by the US military industrial complex ?

lol

Marines raising a U.S. flag atop Mount Suribachi, during the Battle of Iwo Jima, in World War II. Why was the flag important to them? (if it is just a piece of fabric)

The meaning of the flag has NEVER changed. It has VERY little to do with the military, by the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies