Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 09:36 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,093,243 times

Advertisements

the Dems anti police rhetoric is failing

recent Gallup poll shows respect for police is highest it has been in decades

the left took a legitimate problem (bad cops) and used it to smear all cops in general. The general public didn't buy it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2017, 09:40 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,033,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post

The orders demanded of Eric Garner violated his rights. The officer that violently arrested Bland had zero justification to do so.

As I said, people will make excuses.
Eric Garner had a "right" to violate NY state law by selling untaxed cigarettes? I'm certain the tax authorities in New York State will beg to differ with your assessment.

At any rate, of course, I'm not buying it. Besides, Eric Garner had circumscribed his own civil rights on at least 30 prior occasions by committing criminal acts leading to his arrest. If anybody knew the drill, it ws Eric Garner. He could have avoided resisting arrest and allowed himself to be taken in custody, as he had on at least 30 prior occasions. If he had done that, of course, Mr. Garner might be alive today.

Why he chose, on that particular occasion, to forget whatever he had learned in his numerous previous encounters with the law was never adequately explained by Mr. Garner.

As for Sandra Bland...she would never have seen the inside of a jail cell if she had quit flapping her gums once the cop said he'd send her on her way with a warning. But somehow, she managed to talk her way into the Waller County jail, which is a pretty good trick, frankly. She may have been the only person to spend a night in the Waller County jail in years. The Waller County deputies probably need to check Google Maps just to find the place.

Then, having seen how irretrievably stupid her actions were (especially considering she could have avoided the whole thing herself in the first place), she decided to hang herself in jail.

For my own part, I think she was a bit hard on herself. But hey...she's the one who made her final decision. It's not the decision most people would have made, but maybe that's really what she wanted after all.

I guess we'll never know.

Old 09-24-2017, 09:42 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,117,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Miteybad View Post
Police in the U.S. successfully detain thousands of unarmed (and armed) suspects every day. That's about 99.999987% of all apprehensions.

You only hear about the 0.000013% where something goes wrong.

Massive thread fail. Please close and delete.
This. X 1,000,000

Old 09-24-2017, 10:48 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post

the left took a legitimate problem (bad cops) and used it to smear all cops in general. The general public didn't buy it
There is no "anti-police" rhetoric but "anti-brutality" rhetoric.
It's amazing how when the Military commits a act of brutality they are dealt with swiftly and Court Martialed but when a "donut" cop shoots a unarmed black man they get aquitted.

Stop thinking this is a "Left" issue.

Old 09-24-2017, 10:53 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,617,651 times
Quote:
Eric Garner had a "right" to violate NY state law by selling untaxed cigarettes? I'm certain the tax authorities in New York State will beg to differ with your assessment.

At any rate, of course, I'm not buying it. Besides, Eric Garner had circumscribed his own civil rights on at least 30 prior occasions by committing criminal acts leading to his arrest. If anybody knew the drill, it ws Eric Garner. He could have avoided resisting arrest and allowed himself to be taken in custody, as he had on at least 30 prior occasions. If he had done that, of course, Mr. Garner might be alive today.

Why he chose, on that particular occasion, to forget whatever he had learned in his numerous previous encounters with the law was never adequately explained by Mr. Garner.

As for Sandra Bland...she would never have seen the inside of a jail cell if she had quit flapping her gums once the cop said he'd send her on her way with a warning. But somehow, she managed to talk her way into the Waller County jail, which is a pretty good trick, frankly. She may have been the only person to spend a night in the Waller County jail in years. The Waller County deputies probably need to check Google Maps just to find the place.

Then, having seen how irretrievably stupid her actions were (especially considering she could have avoided the whole thing herself in the first place), she decided to hang herself in jail.

For my own part, I think she was a bit hard on herself. But hey...she's the one who made her final decision. It's not the decision most people would have made, but maybe that's really what she wanted after all.

I guess we'll never know.
So you blame the victim instead of the "professional" Law Enforcement instead who was arresting a man for selling loose cigs?
Does it matter how many times he was arrested or do we just throw his actions by the wayside and ignore his rights?

Old 09-24-2017, 11:20 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,093,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
There is no "anti-police" rhetoric but "anti-brutality" rhetoric.
It's amazing how when the Military commits a act of brutality they are dealt with swiftly and Court Martialed but when a "donut" cop shoots a unarmed black man they get aquitted.

Stop thinking this is a "Left" issue.

They get acquitted because there is no proof of any wrong doing

So we should live in a country without due process?

Old 09-24-2017, 11:50 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,033,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post

So you blame the victim instead of the "professional" Law Enforcement instead who was arresting a man for selling loose cigs?
Does it matter how many times he was arrested or do we just throw his actions by the wayside and ignore his rights?
Mr. Garner had been arrested on at least 30 previous occasions. He managed to survive all of those encounters, probably by being smart enough to avoid any overt act that would be construed as the further crime of resisting arrest, such that the arresting officers did not feel compelled to escalate the situation.

In his final encounter with law enforcement, Mr. Garner chose, for whatever reason, to forgo his right to act intelligently (as he evidently had during all of his previous arrests) and instead decided to resist arrest on this one occasion.

It just wasn't a smart move, as the result of his actions amply demonstrates.

Obviously, the point isn't so much that Mr. Garner had been arrested 30 times before, although that, in and of itself, is fairly remarkable, frankly. The point is that he survived each and every one of the 30-odd prior arrests, probably by offering at least some token cooperation with the police and avoiding doing anything that could have been construed as resisting arrest.

It's regrettable that Mr. Garner lost his life in his final legal misadventure, but to fail to mention that he had some control over how the cops responded to his behavior on the day in question is to overlook the central reality in the Garner case.

Old 09-25-2017, 04:40 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
No, like I said, comply with police orders. Why is a middle aged man of any color having problems with the police on the street.

The cop in the Bland case was fired; however, Bland was arrested for not complying with a police order.
The Bland case is terrible.

If a cop told me to put out a cigarette; I would. Oh, and I would keep my hands in view, at all times.
You would have violated the law and the constitutional rights of your patient when the officer demanded you do it?

Old 09-25-2017, 04:49 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Eric Garner had a "right" to violate NY state law by selling untaxed cigarettes?
I am NOT going to read any further. He was NOT selling cigarettes but I will get to that. There was a 911 call about a fight. The two people who were fighting took off before the police got there. Eric Garner was simply standing on the sidewalk. One officer recognized him as someone who had sold cigarettes in the past and decided to harass him. He had NO right to search him. You can not simply walk up to someone and demand to search them. Eric Garner was perfectly right and justified to say no.

Being hyped up thinking thinking they were going to come to a fight they had to do something so they jumped Eric Garner and killed him. He had NO cigarette's on him. They murdered him. None of them were held accountable.

And then let's consider what he was in trouble for previously. Selling loose cigarettes. Think about that........arrested for selling a few loose cigarettes. Then jumped over previously having sold loose cigarette's.

But those like yourself will defend this with this false narrative.

Old 09-25-2017, 05:07 AM

23,532 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post

and reversing that strategy when confronted by the charge BLM is a terrorist group which has created an explosive environment where they declared an open season on cops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies