Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 08:03 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,348,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitterific View Post
It shouldn't be viewed that way, but it is. The cries of disrespect against vets and the country are just convenient cover-ups. Why aren't the loudest detractors writing their officials or voting against the awful treatment of veterans who are homeless? Vets who are hurt and can't afford sufficient health insurance? I suppose that "Thank you for your service" is comfort to men and women who can't even afford tickets to sports games to see pro athletes 'disrespecting them'.

Cat girl, you're looking at this with unbiased eyes. I agree, I don't see any hostility. Others see the few men that kneel as disloyal and dangerous because they chose to disobey the powers that be. In many, there is an inherent fear of people that dont 'know their place' being bold enough to protest.

As a veteran, I chose to help defend this country. I did it knowing there are people whose beliefs I didn't agree with. I worked alongside racists who didn't hesitate letting their beliefs be known. And I had to show up everyday despite that. But I love living in a country that allows others to promote or provoke change. There is much to be grateful for living in America. There is also much that needs to change.
I really wish millions of people could see this post! This is probably one of the best responses to this current situation I've seen thus far. My morals won't allow me to put my life on the line to protect the beliefs of people who hate me solely because of the color of my skin amongst other reasons, but you've done it and I commend you.

Beautiful post and thank you for your service.

Old 09-24-2017, 08:04 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,629,048 times
I'm seeing a lot of posts in this forum saying they're "grandstanding" or kneeling to "showboat" or because it's the cool thing. It's amazing to me that the people saying these things don't view the players as people with agency and viewpoints they feel should be expressed.

Old 09-24-2017, 08:06 PM
JRR

8,164 posts, read 5,657,641 times
Just the latest thing for some people to be outraged about. After all, they need something to tide them over until it is time for "The War on Christmas" to show up!

Old 09-24-2017, 08:07 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,629,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
It's not so much the disrespect part, it's just so annoying because these chumps don't really care much about what they are doing, they are just doing it to showboat and grandstand on a national stage along with their fellow kneeling buddies.

I can see them all getting together before a game and talking about sticking it to Trump and show off about how 'brave' they are for protesting.

All style over substance. These overpaid babies could pick better things to be political about, but true to their lazy nature, they go for the easiest most convenient thing to do and jump on the Trump bashing bandwagon.
You really don't like it when people don't kiss Trump's ring, don't you?

Old 09-24-2017, 08:09 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,556,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I'm tired of the "it's disrespectful to veterans" argument, which is really the only one I consistently see. I feel like someone made this argument once on social media or a talk show or something then everyone else took it and ran with it. I personally don't think it's disrespectful to anyone. I respect a person's right to free speech even though I may not like what it is that they are doing or saying.

I just think it's stupid and it doesn't accomplish anything. I'm not even sure what is being protested. These players have profited and been successful and wealthy under the values of this country, namely capitalism and the emphasis we place on sports. The NFL is a goldmine, it's incredibly popular and powerful. Look at the Super Bowl and all that's put into that, one freaking game. These guys play 16 games a year and look how they are treated. Baseball has a more grueling schedule and season and even those guys aren't hailed the same way football players and the sport of football is. Baseball is popular and very American but it's second to football. They should be bowing before the flag and all it stands for and all this country and its people have given them, not kneeling for it. I just see their acts as childish, but not particularly disrespectful to anyone except maybe the ideals of the country itself, but that's an abstract "someone" and not anyone in particular.

We stand and place our hands over our hearts, remove our caps, and listen quietly, stop what we're doing (or, we are supposed to) when the anthem comes on at a game. And what do these childish players do? They kneel. The act itself is disrespectful considering what we are supposed to do, but I don't think it disrespects any one or more people.
This started good, but then it all went to crap.

Old 09-24-2017, 08:11 PM

4,030 posts, read 2,714,316 times
Here's my POV, as a vet:

When I took my oath, I basically gave others to the right to protest (so long as they do not use violence). Nowhere does it say I have to understand, agree, or approve with said protests or its particular methods (again, so long as they're not violent or deprive others of their rights). It just says I acknowledge they *have* this right.

And the kneelers are exercising this right. Quietly and peacefully. Not standing for the flag is neither violent, nor does it deprive another person of their right to stand for the flag if they so wish.

As a vet, I do not find this insulting. I can think of a lot more things that are harmful/insulting to vets. The current POTUS referring to neo-Nazis as 'fine people', when previous generations of vets fought against their predecessors to stop their mass genocide, for one. Voting to strip away mental and physical health care that many vets need is another. Using us vets as a prop to grandstand on political issues is another insult--for example, the whole, "No refugees while we have homeless vets on the streets!" Well, we've had homeless vets on the streets since the dawn of the nation, and we're coming on 250 years and haven't fixed that particular problem. So I'm more than a bit cynical that anybody gives a damn about homeless vets until it's time to use them as a 'feel good' prop.

But quietly kneeling instead of standing for the anthem? Waaaaaaay down on my list of "Things I Think Are An Insult To Vets".

Old 09-24-2017, 08:11 PM

32,060 posts, read 15,055,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I'm tired of the "it's disrespectful to veterans" argument, which is really the only one I consistently see. I feel like someone made this argument once on social media or a talk show or something then everyone else took it and ran with it. I personally don't think it's disrespectful to anyone. I respect a person's right to free speech even though I may not like what it is that they are doing or saying.

I just think it's stupid and it doesn't accomplish anything. I'm not even sure what is being protested. These players have profited and been successful and wealthy under the values of this country, namely capitalism and the emphasis we place on sports. The NFL is a goldmine, it's incredibly popular and powerful. Look at the Super Bowl and all that's put into that, one freaking game. These guys play 16 games a year and look how they are treated. Baseball has a more grueling schedule and season and even those guys aren't hailed the same way football players and the sport of football is. Baseball is popular and very American but it's second to football. They should be bowing before the flag and all it stands for and all this country and its people have given them, not kneeling for it. I just see their acts as childish, but not particularly disrespectful to anyone except maybe the ideals of the country itself, but that's an abstract "someone" and not anyone in particular.

We stand and place our hands over our hearts, remove our caps, and listen quietly, stop what we're doing (or, we are supposed to) when the anthem comes on at a game. And what do these childish players do? They kneel. The act itself is disrespectful considering what we are supposed to do, but I don't think it disrespects any one or more people.
Do you have even a clue why they do this

Old 09-24-2017, 08:12 PM

262 posts, read 307,666 times
Let me remind people that our president is a draft dodger. That's how much respect he had for his country and the military.

Old 09-24-2017, 08:17 PM

39,221 posts, read 27,592,812 times
I don't think it has anything to do with the military or the veterans, although i would say that flag has a deeper meaning to a lot of veterans. To each his/her own.

This said, Being called “disrespectful” is one of the least aggressive responses you might expect from a crowd in a situation like this. I read wearing a Yankees cap to Fenway Park, or order a black and tan at a Southie bar on St. Patrick’s Day, and you can expect worse. (I suppose)

There is nothing wrong with being contrarian. But go against a crowd engaging in a ceremony important to them and you should expect a negative response.

I think they have a right to protest. Disrespectful? well, I don't find it disrespectful. Flag burning, in my opinion is much worse. (but they have the right doing that too.)

Old 09-24-2017, 08:18 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,370,428 times
What I want to know about these kneeling players is how much they are doing to help those African-Americans who need lifting up. Are they paying for some black kid to go to college, helping some black family that doesn't have a place to stay, giving to charities that help black folks, etc.????

Come on...It's easy to kneel at a game. How about doing something that will really be helpful, not just a disrespectful gesture!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies