Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 06:46 AM

34,228 posts, read 18,561,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Is it anti American to live up to hold the country to live up to its proclamations? The proclamations and constitution of this nation are not RELATIVE. In other words, its not relative to what is going on in regards to Freedom and Opportunity in other countries. Having more freedom and opportunity than other countries should NEVER be the goal. The goal should always be maximizing Freedom and Opportunity to its full extent.

Conservatives seems to be satisfied with America simply being better than other places.....as opposed to America being the best that it can be.
Totally agree. We should strive to be the best, not just better. Good point.

Old 09-25-2017, 06:46 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,232,358 times
Quote:
Is it anti American to live up to hold the country to live up to its proclamations? The proclamations and constitution of this nation are not RELATIVE. In other words, its not relative to what is going on in regards to Freedom and Opportunity in other countries. Having more freedom and opportunity than other countries should NEVER be the goal. The goal should always be maximizing Freedom and Opportunity to its full extent.

Conservatives seems to be satisfied with America simply being better than other places.....as opposed to America being the best that it can be.
These bigots won't change at all. They will just die off and to their chagrin their daughters, grand daughters,
sons and grandsons will marry people of color and life will get better.

Old 09-25-2017, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
BS.

If you loved our country you would want all our citizens to be treated fairly.
Who isn't being treated "fairly"? What is fair, and who decides what that means?

Old 09-25-2017, 06:47 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Bring back the draft.

Old 09-25-2017, 06:49 AM

33,310 posts, read 12,484,756 times
Quote:
How is it patriotism to shout down others freedom of speech and expression, which is constitutional?
Employed people only have freedom of speech at their jobs (without suffering consequences) if their employers decide to allow it, or if it is allowed or tolerated re the wording in a contract/agreement. Freedom of speech re the constitution is about being able to speak freely without being afraid of any consequences or sanctions coming FROM THE GOVERNMENT, not zero consequences overall. Players are 'on the clock'/suited up and ready to play while the anthem is being played. Right now, the NFL owners are supportive, but if they decided to not be supportive, that wouldn't be unpatriotic.

Old 09-25-2017, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Employed people only have freedom of speech at their jobs (without suffering consequences) if their employers decide to allow it, or if it is allowed or tolerated re the wording in a contract/agreement. Freedom of speech re the constitution is about being able to speak freely without being afraid of any consequences or sanctions coming FROM THE GOVERNMENT, not zero consequences overall. Players are 'on the clock'/suited up and ready to play while the anthem is being played. Right now, the NFL owners are supportive, but if they decided to not be supportive, that wouldn't be unpatriotic.

^^^^^This!

Old 09-25-2017, 06:54 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Who isn't being treated "fairly"? What is fair, and who decides what that means?
Wake up and smell the coffee or at least start reading something besides Breitbart.

Videos of cops shooting black men are all over the internet.

Old 09-25-2017, 06:55 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9zRjOenFrg

Old 09-25-2017, 06:59 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
DUH! Because shouting "United States of America" is too long to have everyone do it in tandem.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:03 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,581,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
I don't find anything objectionable about chanting USA at games. The real issue is its context. Is the chant is being made against one side for political purposes (one side chanting, one side not), then it can be disturbing. If the chant is because of some event that binds all together, then I see no problem with it. I admit lines can be very blurry at times.
Quoted for truth, with a few additional thoughts.

I dislike the chant being used as a weapon, by one group of Americans against another.

I dislike the implication that because I don't agree with everything my country does, it makes me less than patriotic. It doesn't. It simply means that my love of country doesn't make me willing to gloss over the mistakes we have made, and continue to make. That kind of patriotism seems a lot more genuine to me than turning a blind eye to things we could improve, and pretending that everything is perfect here. Why must acknowledging the country's flaws be interpreted as a lack of love?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies