Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2017, 09:52 AM

39,222 posts, read 27,597,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Absolutely.
Well, believe all you want.

If you believe bigotry is the only reason for police brutality, you are only fooling yourself.

It looks like some of you don't want the issue solved. Bigotry is an easy answer.

Old 09-26-2017, 09:57 AM

3,565 posts, read 1,922,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post

If you believe bigotry is the only reason for police brutality, you are only fooling yourself.

It looks like some of you don't want the issue solved. Bigotry is an easy answer.
Obfuscating.

I absolutely agree that bigotry is not the only answer. It's part of the answer.

I'm just calling out the hypocrisy of you saying that we shouldn't point out white privilege to white people, but if a black person says they were discriminated against, you'll readily point out why it wasn't.

I think you're right about bigotry.
I think you're wrong about the subject of this thread - privilege.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Obfuscating.

I absolutely agree that bigotry is not the only answer. It's part of the answer.

I'm just calling out the hypocrisy of you saying that we shouldn't point out white privilege to white people, but if a black person says they were discriminated against, you'll readily point out why it wasn't.

I think you're right about bigotry.
I think you're wrong about the subject of this thread - privilege.
again, the bold, I've never said that. I even said, social injustice does exist, but police brutality is a multi layered problem, Bigotry is only part of the problem -also a very small problem in my opinion. (when it comes to police brutality.)

I don't think I am wrong about the subject of this thread - privilege. I think "check your privilege" is an one size fits all answer and it should not be the universal answer for social injustice. It does not solve anything. It is just an opinion.

I don't think I have said you were wrong though.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:01 AM

8,689 posts, read 11,078,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Do you consider a severely disabled person to be privileged because he is heterosexual or tall?

Should he "check his privilege"?
they do get parking privileges

Old 09-26-2017, 10:01 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,960,195 times
Quote:
What did I say "white privilege" is?
Please quote me on that.
Not being harassed by police like black people is used as an example of "white privilege". Thats dishonest when Asians are even less likely than whites to be subject to this.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:05 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
Quote:

Well what is the reason?

My husband and I are middle-aged white people. In my entire life I have NEVER EVER heard of any of my peers being pulled over for anything except legitimate traffic violations. And when that has happened, we've gotten tickets and have been sent on our way.

We've sped, had taillights out, run red lights, made unsafe lane changes--in short, acted like every other driver on the road and never been pulled over.

Black people will tell you over and over again that they get pulled over for no reason. I know a young Hispanic college student that got pulled over for speeding and the cop pulled a gun. Why?

What explains the difference if not racism?

Old 09-26-2017, 10:05 AM

3,565 posts, read 1,922,182 times
Quote:
Not being harassed by police like black people is used as an example of "white privilege". Thats dishonest when Asians are even less likely than whites to be subject to this.
Ahem
If you're going to tell me that I'm being dishonest about what white privilege is.
Quote:
Quote:
What am I being dishonest about?
About what "white privilege" is. What you are referring to is not "white privilege" when Asians are even less likely to get harassed by the police.
Then please show me what I said white privilege is.

Thank you

Old 09-26-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Well what is the reason?

My husband and I are middle-aged white people. In my entire life I have NEVER EVER heard of any of my peers being pulled over for anything except legitimate traffic violations. And when that has happened, we've gotten tickets and have been sent on our way.

We've sped, had taillights out, run red lights, made unsafe lane changes--in short, acted like every other driver on the road and never been pulled over.

Black people will tell you over and over again that they get pulled over for no reason. I know a young Hispanic college student that got pulled over for speeding and the cop pulled a gun. Why?

What explains the difference if not racism?
Police brutality is a multilayered problem, I have addressed it already.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:07 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,960,195 times
Quote:
again, the bold, I've never said that. I even said, social injustice does exist, but police brutality is a multi layered problem, Bigotry is only part of the problem -also a very small problem in my opinion. (when it comes to police brutality.)

I don't think I am wrong about the subject of this thread - privilege. I think "check your privilege" is an one size fits all answer and it should not be the universal answer for social injustice. It does not solve anything. It is just an opinion.

I don't think I have said you were wrong though.
All people have advantages and disadvantages in various situations. A white person in a black neighborhood could easily be severely bullied and destroyed for the rest of his or her life because of his or her race. Demonizing one group as privileged without treating the person as an individual is as you say just going to reinforce racial tensions.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
All people have advantages and disadvantages in various situations. A white person in a black neighborhood could easily be bullied and destroyed for the rest of his or her life because of his or her race. Demonizing one group as privileged without treating the person as an individual is as you say just going to reinforce racial tensions.
I think the term "white privilege" is used to divide us.

To me, white privilege is nothing more than just majority privilege. It is just my opinion anyway. More people speak your language, more people look like you, that kind of thing; more people feel comfortable around you because you share the same language and culture, etc. I think it is human nature and it is not necessarily a bad thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies