Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2017, 11:25 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
No one is denying that racism exists. It exists. But these stereotypes people talk about are based on class, first and foremost. In the past, you would have "Greek problems" and "Polish problems" when these groups dominated the working class and underclass in certain areas of the country. As long as people and the media they consume refuse to address the massive income and wealth disparity and the lack of a public safety net in this country, nothing will really change. Because the ruling class dont want change. Thats a threat to their status.
You are correct that class is tightly linked here.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:26 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
No one is denying that racism exists. It exists. But these stereotypes people talk about are based on class, first and foremost. In the past, you would have "Greek problems" and "Polish problems" when these groups dominated the working class and underclass in certain areas of the country. As long as people and the media they consume refuse to address the massive income and wealth disparity and the lack of a public safety net in this country, nothing will really change. Because the ruling class dont want change. Thats a threat to their status.
One can never completely eliminate racism, it will never happen.

Like one friend of mine pointed out, if we are all white, we are going to argue about hair color and eye color. I remember Bill O'Reilly once said, "This country is divided by class, not by race." I think he got a point there. But obviously, some people will not agree simply because Bill O'Reilly is a privilege bigoted white male in their eyes.

You cannot win.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:32 AM

2,594 posts, read 1,241,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
One of my super liberal friends from college posted a rant on Facebook about the NFL protests. Her last statement was "check your privilege" to the people complaining.

First of all, she's a white female working on her doctorate and has wealthy parents. If that isn't privilege, I don't know what is.

Secondly, why is it now appropriate to guilt people for having money or for being a certain gender or from a certain race?

Lastly, every race and gender has a certain degree of privilege. Some black people are more privileged than white people, some women are more privileged than men, etc.

It just seems like this notion of guilting people because of their race, gender, or income is counterproductive and only helps further separate people.
Some of the loudest proponents of political correctness come from wealthy backgrounds. Interesting since economic privilege is the strongest precursor to opportunity. Much more then gender, race or sexual orientation. Interesting since its largely absolute from current cultural discourse.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:54 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,961,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
You are correct that class is tightly linked here.
Class is the elephant in the room. Stereotypes dont go away by people "checking their privilege". If the massive class disparities are not addressed, other people can "check their privilege" as much as they want. Nothing will change. There is a reason why Asian females dont go around fearing the cops. Likewise, there is a reason "Polish problems" is not seen as an issue when they no longer dominate the underclass and working class.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:56 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,954,468 times
Quote:
Class is the elephant in the room. Stereotypes dont go away by people "checking their privilege". If the massive class disparities are not addressed, other people can "check their privilege" as much as they want. Nothing will change. There is a reason why Asian females dont go around fearing the cops. Likewise, there is a reason "Polish problems" are not seen as an issue when they no longer dominate the underclass and working class.
It's a bit scary when you are making sense to me. I think it's time for me to step away from reading C-D for awhile.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:20 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
Although you aren't denying that racism exists, many other people do.

I'm not sure I agree that it's class, first and foremost, rather than race, first and foremost. When professor Louis Henry Gates was stopped and questioned by police for trying to get into his own home, that was race. Sandra Bland? Probably race. But class definitely plays a part.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:27 PM

15,964 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Nothing will change until African Americans reach the same education levels and income levels as Asians overall. There is a reason why elderly, Asian women are not targeted for mistreatment by cops at the same rate as others. Elderly Asian women rarely live in high crime areas and are not subject to police patrols like African Americans. As long as massive differences in class and poverty exists, you wont get rid of these stereotypes. Impossible. But the media that push these racial agendas dont want people to talk about class. Because the owners of the media are members of the top 1% ruling class.
An elderly Indian man, a visiting relative of a couple living in Alabama, was taking a walk in the neighborhood. Somebody called the cop and the man put on a choke hold, beaten, and ended in the hospital in a coma.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-a...father-n573806

The couple he lived with were professionals and so was the man from India. Class did not make a difference.
Neither did age or demenor. The cop was ignorant, biased, ill-trained, and a bully. He was not charged. THIS is the problem - that violent, psychos are ones who are attracted to the police force. I am sure there are great men and women who serve in the force, but it does attract the psychos and racists. And we give them a gun.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Although you aren't denying that racism exists, many other people do.

I'm not sure I agree that it's class, first and foremost, rather than race, first and foremost. When professor Louis Henry Gates was stopped and questioned by police for trying to get into his own home, that was race. Sandra Bland? Probably race. But class definitely plays a part.
well, class did not help them Prof. Gates lived in a nice house in Cambridge. The cop could not believe a black man could own a house there. That is racism. And he was stupid.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:31 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,954,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
An elderly Indian man, a visiting relative of a couple living in Alabama, was taking a walk in the neighborhood. Somebody called the cop and the man put on a choke hold, beaten, and ended in the hospital in a coma.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-a...father-n573806

The couple he lived with were professionals and so was the man from India. Class did not make a difference.
Neither did age or demenor. The cop was ignorant, biased, ill-trained, and a bully. He was not charged. THIS is the problem - that violent, psychos are ones who are attracted to the police force. I am sure there are great men and women who serve in the force, but it does attract the psychos and racists. And we give them a gun.
Quote:
"After a review of the federal trial testimony, it does not appear that there would be sufficient evidence to prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt," Strange said in a statement. "Thus, we have a duty to move to dismiss the charge.”
Justice was served. Pick a legit case if you want to make that argument.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
Justice was served. Pick a legit case if you want to make that argument.
People of color do not get justice. That is why they take the knee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies