Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 09:02 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
One of my super liberal friends from college posted a rant on Facebook about the NFL protests. Her last statement was "check your privilege" to the people complaining.

First of all, she's a white female working on her doctorate and has wealthy parents. If that isn't privilege, I don't know what is.

Secondly, why is it now appropriate to guilt people for having money or for being a certain gender or from a certain race?

Lastly, every race and gender has a certain degree of privilege. Some black people are more privileged than white people, some women are more privileged than men, etc.

It just seems like this notion of guilting people because of their race, gender, or income is counterproductive and only helps further separate people.
You should ask her what kind of "privilege" should be checked.

There are too many to list.

Old 09-25-2017, 09:06 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Cultural marxist communists have taken over higher education. These kids are coming out completely brainwashed.
Not only EDUCATION, but also the MEDIA, and much of Fed, State, and Local Government. It is self serving, and about money, and power.

8,175 posts, read 6,925,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Media and politicians want to keep us divided. They want power and votes.

It is very sad that too many of us want to play this game.

Exactly. They are doing a stellar job.

We the People have ZERO power and it's our own fault.
Until we collectively wake the hell up.

Where is Nada when you need him?
Someone needs to destroy the damn signal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Exactly. They are doing a stellar job.

We the People have ZERO power and it's our own fault.
Until we collectively wake the hell up.

Where is Nada when you need him?
Someone needs to destroy the damn signal.
agreed

Old 09-25-2017, 09:27 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,239,198 times
Race does not determine privilege, socioeconomic status does.

Would anyone really agree that white people living in run down trailer parks or in Appalachia are privileged?

Old 09-25-2017, 09:37 AM

15,964 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
One of my super liberal friends from college posted a rant on Facebook about the NFL protests. Her last statement was "check your privilege" to the people complaining.

First of all, she's a white female working on her doctorate and has wealthy parents. If that isn't privilege, I don't know what is.

Secondly, why is it now appropriate to guilt people for having money or for being a certain gender or from a certain race?

Lastly, every race and gender has a certain degree of privilege. Some black people are more privileged than white people, some women are more privileged than men, etc.

It just seems like this notion of guilting people because of their race, gender, or income is counterproductive and only helps further separate people.
It is hard to tell what your friend meant without context. It seems to me she is saying, since you are saying she is liberal, college educated, and wealthy, I would say she is pointing out to people like you who have doubts about the privileges that accrue to you, assuming you are white, simply because you are white. White people are hired more often with equal or even less qualifications as person of color, rented apartments to, are sold real estate in great neighborhoods. She wants you to count the number of privileges you have earner over your lifetime simply by being white. She is acknowledging hers.

It is not about quilting, although you should feel a certain amount of guilt at the unfairness of it, but about making you aware.

How are black people more privileged? How is a black woman more privileged than a white man OR woman?

Old 09-25-2017, 09:38 AM

3,564 posts, read 1,922,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
Race does not determine privilege, socioeconomic status does.

Would anyone really agree that white people living in run down trailer parks or in Appalachia are privileged?
Compared to an African-American living in a run down trailer park or in Appalachia, maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
You should ask her what kind of "privilege" should be checked.

There are too many to list.
This is always an...interesting...glimpse into people's minds.
Someone can have privilege, and also be aware of it.

Old 09-25-2017, 09:38 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Talking Check your privilege

Got mine right here.

I carry it with me everywhere.

Old 09-25-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post

This is always an...interesting...glimpse into people's minds.
Someone can have privilege, and also be aware of it.
Well, that depends on the definition of "privilege"

To each his/her own.

Old 09-25-2017, 09:41 AM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
I think because the privileged just raped not just the poor but the middle class as well and we are now connected in social media - had enough... and fighting back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies