Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 11:51 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
It depends on how the term is used. If it is used as a way to end a conversation, I think it is a terrible and divisive thing.

Quite to the contrary, I think there is a great deal we can discuss as a nation in regards to implicit biases that are built into our society (often without us realizing they are there). These extend well beyond race and gender, as well, and include things like class, wealth, education levels, and even the way you speak (or the accent you hold).

I think there are meaningful and legitimate discussion points here. And the key word there is "discussion" - this should be a conversation. Not a lecture or a shouting match.

At the DNA level, I can tell you, as someone who works with genetic data on a daily basis, the entire premise of "race" is a bit absurd. Our species is way more mixed and homogeneous than most people realize. In fact, one of the great "equalizers", I believe, is getting your own genome sequenced and seeing what kind of ancestral history you have. It can be really illuminating, and might change the way you look at the world and at other people around you.
Quote:
There are many forms of biases and stereotypes that manifest themselves as "privilege". You're correct that economic status/class is a major one, perhaps the most significant one in our society. But it's certainly not the only one.

Put another way, a very wealthy black man has "privilege" because of his economic wealth. But he is not completely shielded from certain negative stereotypes that he'll contend with through his life.
Two really great posts here. I'll rep you in a minute!

I agree with both, and HockeyMac acknowledges that it can be overused, and that it may not even be the most prevailent form of bias, but to refuse to acknowledge that it exists does not get us any closer to a solution. A solution that would ultimately benefit everyone, not just one side.

White Privaledge can be a very subtle (Sometimes not subtle) thing. That our society was designed by whites, that norms were defined by whites, that manners, customs, values were all in place before blacks had a say at all will imply some bias.

It's important for both sides to be open minded. It does exist, but it is not responsible for every bad thing that happens to a person of color. It goes both ways.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:54 AM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
I would agree that economic status is the #1 factor, I would say that it completely dwarfs all other factors, but I don't think I could agree that that means there are NO other factors in play. They just pale in comparison to economic status.
It's also important to note that the economic status advantage is a freight train rolling over most if not all negative impacts your race, religion, gender may cause you.

Ask a poor white guy living in a trailer park if he'd switch lifestyles with Obama with the only catch being morons on the internet would refer to him as the N word from time to time.

Not only would the white dude take the switch he'd volunteer to go on the internet and call himself the N word if that's what it took.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:57 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,949,402 times
The term "white privilege" is just another tool in the left's toolbox to divide Americans. They love using any tool they can, but this one is rising in popularity.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:59 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,830,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
It's also important to note that the economic status advantage is a freight train rolling over most if not all negative impacts your race, religion, gender may cause you.

Ask a poor white guy living in a trailer park if he'd switch lifestyles with Obama with the only catch being morons on the internet would refer to him as the N word from time to time.

Not only would the white dude take the switch he'd volunteer to go on the internet and call himself the N word if that's what it took.
I agree, economic status differences pretty much obliterate other differences when there is a large economic disparity. The other factors raise their head when you are examining people of roughly the same economic status... in math terms: (A * 100) + (B * 10), the (A) factor will obliterate the (B) factor in the overall magnitude of the function as long as there is disparity between different (A) factors... when the (A) factors are equal however, the (B) factors come into play more. Maybe this will make sense to someone 'cause it makes sense to me....

Old 09-26-2017, 12:01 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,905,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post

You're not wrong here. If you are wealthy, yes, you can shield yourself from the majority of these ills. Anyone arguing that "white privilege" means that you are going to automatically be successful in life as a white man is telling you a lie.

Additionally, if you are successful as a white person, it is not BECAUSE of your race/background. Certainly, it might have helped you in your life in various (often subtle) ways - but you still do have to work to get to where you are (well, the vast majority of us do). And you should not feel guilt or hate yourself for being who you are. That's a preposterous way to feel...you can't change who you are!

The major issue is that class and race are often very tightly linked. That is, most minorities are disproportionately poorer than whites. They have issues to contend with on multiple fronts. So yes, some black men end up like Obama. But many, I'd argue too many, do not.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
I agree, economic status differences pretty much obliterate other differences when there is a large economic disparity. The other factors raise their head when you are examining people of roughly the same economic status... in math terms: (A * 100) + (B * 10), the (A) factor will obliterate the (B) factor in the overall magnitude of the function as long as there is disparity between different (A) factors... when the (A) factors are equal however, the (B) factors come into play more.
Mathematical privilege.

zzzSnorlax got it. No_recess don't.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:20 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
You're not wrong here. If you are wealthy, yes, you can shield yourself from the majority of these ills. Anyone arguing that "white privilege" means that you are going to automatically be successful in life as a white man is telling you a lie.

Additionally, if you are successful as a white person, it is not BECAUSE of your race/background. Certainly, it might have helped you in your life in various (often subtle) ways - but you still do have to work to get to where you are (well, the vast majority of us do). And you should not feel guilt or hate yourself for being who you are. That's a preposterous way to feel...you can't change who you are!

The major issue is that class and race are often very tightly linked. That is, most minorities are disproportionately poorer than whites. They have issues to contend with on multiple fronts. So yes, some black men end up like Obama. But many, I'd argue too many, do not.

We're all born with certain advantages and disadvantages over which we have no control.

A black child born to parents who stress the importance of getting an education has a better chance of succeeding in life than a white child born to a drug-addicted single mother who thinks school is a waste of time. One has an advantage the other does not have.

People who apply themselves generally attract (positive) attention and get some breaks along the way. They will gain advantages that lazier people will not have.

Privilege is granted and denied people of all races based on their economic class.

To suggest that white privilege exists and is granted to all whites is grossly unfair and ignorant.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
We're all born with certain advantages and disadvantages over which we have no control.

A black child born to parents who stress the importance of getting an education has a better chance of succeeding in life than a white child born to a drug-addicted single mother who thinks school is a waste of time. One has an advantage the other does not have.

People who apply themselves generally attract (positive) attention and get some breaks along the way. They will gain advantages that lazier people will not have.

Privilege is granted and denied people of all races based on their economic class.

To suggest that white privilege exists and is granted to all whites is grossly unfair and ignorant.
I like that phrasing of "people who apply themselves generally attract (positive) attention".

Nothing matters to me more than the disposition of someone I have to do business with. This is why finding something you like is important when choosing a career. Yeah I get stressed like anyone else but if what I did was so miserable it showed thru 24/7 I suspect everyone would hate me.

Right now, only about 20% of the people I deal with hate my guts...tops.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:31 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,693,806 times
If you can't admit that it's a real thing, you're delusional.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:33 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,985,263 times
It's not a new term or a new concept really. You, the OP, clearly do not understand what white privilege means. The term became popular when a woman wrote a thesis about it in the '80s and now we hear it all the time. The problem is that most people don't understand it and with their busy lives they will never devote time to understanding it. It may be a valid concept, but it's not terribly useful outside of certain circles. I think it should have stayed at the academic level. The common people misunderstand it and are not interested in learning more about it, so rather than promote insight and understanding, it just creates misunderstandings, mistrust, and conflict.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies