Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 08:22 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
Before rap there was the anti establishment hippy thing. But since most of them were/are white, it was OK.
What in the world does this mean?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 08:23 PM

3,212 posts, read 1,652,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
What in the world does this mean?

You would understand had you been there.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Lolol...it's so old, I don't even remember. But yea, it's an R&B song all day.
I think it came out in 96. Don't Leave Me is one damn good R&B song. It was released as a single and the B-side was a No Diggity remix.

Ah, the wonderful world of cassette tapes.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
You would understand had you been there.
The establishment had issues with the hippy movement. I have access to the archives.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:33 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I think it came out in 96. Don't Leave Me is one damn good R&B song. It was released as a single and the B-side was a No Diggity remix.

Ah, the wonderful world of cassette tapes.
Yeah, maybe one day I'll see about trading in my 8-track's for some of those.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:52 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Hip hop has been the preferred title of this genre of music for decades now. I don't think anybody has referred to it as "rap" music since the 1980's.
People who like that stuff call it "hip hip"; people who don't like it still call it rap or something worse.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:59 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 21 hours ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,037 times
They said the same thing about heavy metal being music for hooligans back in the 1970s and even a little into the 80s. Also, what about country music talking about (sometimes celebrating) fights, drunkenness and casual sex? Same thing with psychedelic music of the 60s.

It neither induces no is a sign of psychopathy. If the person listening to it is a psychopath, they were likely that way to begin with.

As such, I find it about as credible as saying Paula Abdul's dancing with a cartoon cat in Opposites Attract is a subtle way to teach children that bestiality is all right (I never heard anyone say this, this is a Phil original so far as I know but I didn't actually believe this. Yet, I can easily imagine a way-off paranoid preacher telling his flock this).

Old 09-26-2017, 10:01 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,700,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
People who like that stuff call it "hip hip"; people who don't like it still call it rap or something worse.
It it was another genre, they'd probably be quick to note its distinctions and diversity. But it doesn't apply to hip hop.

I'm sure it's likely all the same to them.

Old 09-27-2017, 06:35 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,586,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
They said the same thing about heavy metal being music for hooligans back in the 1970s and even a little into the 80s. Also, what about country music talking about (sometimes celebrating) fights, drunkenness and casual sex? Same thing with psychedelic music of the 60s.

It neither induces no is a sign of psychopathy. If the person listening to it is a psychopath, they were likely that way to begin with.

As such, I find it about as credible as saying Paula Abdul's dancing with a cartoon cat in Opposites Attract is a subtle way to teach children that bestiality is all right (I never heard anyone say this, this is a Phil original so far as I know but I didn't actually believe this. Yet, I can easily imagine a way-off paranoid preacher telling his flock this).
The whole study seems a bit misguided to me, particularly the goal of using playlists to diagnose people without their knowledge or consent...to do what? Limit their job choices? Target them for investigation in crimes they have yet to commit?

I can only imagine what they would make of my musical taste. That I have Multiple Personality Disorder, I suppose...

Old 09-27-2017, 06:56 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Blackstreet is an R&B/Soul group and "No Diggity" is an R&B song. It has a short rap segment and nothing more. Singing 95 percent of the way through.

Poor study...
I thought the same thing. There is a couple parts with rap lyrics but it is an R&B song.

I also thought it was funny that both songs are super old. The article says they interviewed people in prison and I thought they must have been old convicts lol. No Diggity was out when I was in high school over 20 years ago! Lose Yourself was a part of the "8 Mile" soundtrack. I remember my soon to be 16 year old kid was a baby when that movie came out.

I honestly don't know anyone who doesn't like those song either. I like Lose Yourself more than No Diggity, but everyone who likes R&B likes the group Blackstreet and Teddy Riley in particular. He had a cool style back in the 1990s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Can't stand that garbage.
Good for you lol. The majority of the country doesn't agree with your view. Rap is the most popular music in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies