Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 12:22 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,963,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Crazy View Post
It needs work, no doubt. But, like sooooo many people, you view it very simplistically. Which is worth about as much as bucket of air.

Canadian income taxes are higher than in the USA. You pay plenty more than $37.50 per month for your insurance.
Actually, we pay just as much in taxes for our current health care system as the majority of single payer countries around the world pay in taxes for their national health care system. Almost 50% of the massive cost of the US health care system is paid for by taxes (Medicare, Medicaid, VA, public employees' health insurance etc).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2018, 12:29 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,963,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Some parts of America has very good coverage. And by parts, I mean employer plans.

My husband and I are covered under his employer's plan with Cigna. He pays $69/month for both of us. I just went to doctor a couple weeks ago to do some tests. Bill to insurance was $380. My copay was $4.
That's not good. The real cost of that insurance is paid for by lowering his salary by that amount.

In addition, employers having full control of the health care of employees is a chain around the neck of employees to prevent disobedience.

Old 06-21-2018, 03:19 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I just payed my health care premium for this month today.....$37.50, no deductible, no co-pay no stress....Spent three days in hospital last week.....My cost $0.....I have no idea why America does not have a decent health care system.
I hear ya as i'm paying about the same here in Montreal, Problem with American health care is its all about making money rather than giving healthcare to its people. Obama tried to change things with the ACA but republicans assured the system would fail before it even got started .
https://www.google.ca/search?source=....0.HA0rUgafIHA

Old 06-21-2018, 03:21 AM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
I have a small business I own. We buy our own insurance privately. However, the rates are projected to raise 20-45% in some parts of the country.

We already pay over 900 a month (for my wife , son, and I)... Im trying to figure out what to do for 2018..Most likely going to drop my current plan...

Currently contemplating if I'm just going to drop the insurance and wait till obamacare fails , or get the highest deductible plan available.......

Most likely just going to buy the absolute bottom lowest plan available.

Im guessing it will collapse in a year or 2.

What are some of you going to do for 2018?

Florida Obamacare rates may go up by 45% for consumers without subsidies - Orlando Sentinel
We are covered under Medi-share. I think it's about $350/mo for wife and I versus about $2,000/mo for Obama's unaffordable care act insurance.

Old 06-21-2018, 06:43 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
I have a small business I own. We buy our own insurance privately. However, the rates are projected to raise 20-45% in some parts of the country.

We already pay over 900 a month (for my wife , son, and I)... Im trying to figure out what to do for 2018..Most likely going to drop my current plan...

Currently contemplating if I'm just going to drop the insurance and wait till obamacare fails , or get the highest deductible plan available.......

Most likely just going to buy the absolute bottom lowest plan available.

Im guessing it will collapse in a year or 2.

What are some of you going to do for 2018?

Florida Obamacare rates may go up by 45% for consumers without subsidies - Orlando Sentinel
I am surprised you qualified for an ACA plan if you have your own business.

Old 06-21-2018, 07:36 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,628,343 times
Company sponsored HSA for 6th year. I pay the enrollment cost monthly, and between the employer match and my contribution, I meet the federal max allowed for annual HSA saving. My costs went up ~4% this year from last.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:49 AM

1,348 posts, read 792,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I am surprised you qualified for an ACA plan if you have your own business.
Anyone with an adjusted gross income from, about 15K and up (don't know the exact threshold these days) can buy an ACA plan. You are likely conflating the idea of qualifying for a Govt subsidy with simply being able to buy a plan. Getting a subsidy is different.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:01 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Anyone with an adjusted gross income from, about 15K and up (don't know the exact threshold these days) can buy an ACA plan. You are likely conflating the idea of qualifying for a Govt subsidy with simply being able to buy a plan. Getting a subsidy is different.
Non-subsidized plans are private plans which are ACA-compliant. You can call them "ACA plans" if you like.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:08 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
It needs work, no doubt. But, like sooooo many people, you view it very simplistically. Which is worth about as much as bucket of air.

Canadian income taxes are higher than in the USA. You pay plenty more than $37.50 per month for your insurance.

Also, very importantly, IMO.....Canadians frequently have much longer wait times for many tests, procedures and operations, often months. Because of that, many thousands of your fellow citizens come to the USA for treatment and either pay cash or use a separate health insurance plan that they pay for out-of-pocket.

NO COUNTRY has nailed the health care issue. Places like Switzerland and the Scandanavian countries might have good situations because they have mostly healthy populations to begin with. They eat more healthfully, exercise more and aren't over-weight. Those 3 things are HUGE and will keep health system costs down.
It's not perfect but I would choose Canada over USA any day -- after living with both.

Especially as we approach retirement.

Yup 63,000 Canadians left Canada for medical treatment (not all to the USA)
And 1.3 million Americans left USA for medical treatment (not all Canada).

Old 06-21-2018, 10:42 AM

1,348 posts, read 792,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Yup 63,000 Canadians left Canada for medical treatment (not all to the USA)
And 1.3 million Americans left USA for medical treatment (not all Canada).
Those numbers are not as disparate as they look. Ahem, Canada population is 36 million; USA population is 325 million.

The devil is in the details, as always:
How many Canadians who went elsewhere did so because of: the fear of waiting to find out their health problem or too much pain/discomfort while waiting for treatment or were turned down for the treatment they wanted or believed was best....or some combo of those things?

How many of the Americans who went elsewhere did so for voluntary procedures rather than needed ones? "Medical tourism" has been around for awhile and most utilize it for treatments/operations that they choose, not need.

I'd be very interested to know the details on all that. Plus, in this era, it's always relevant to check your source on statistics. Lots of agendas being foisted, all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies