Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 09:57 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,345,340 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know what the government's definition of "terrorist attack" is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2017, 10:04 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,940,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Does anyone know what the government's definition of "terrorist attack" is?
I think they are mostly investigating terroristic threats or statements that could be perceived as terroristic (obviously a lot of wiggle room there). Or they are investigating unPC groups, such as white people who only want to associate with other white people. There's the old joke about the KKK mostly being undercover fbi at this point.

Then there are the anti-government people. God forbid someone not like government. That's probably the biggest sin. The federal law enforcement agencies aren't that far off from the secret police at this point.

Old 09-27-2017, 10:11 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Not surprising. We have a lot of unemployed losers in trailer parks with nothing to do all day.

Old 09-27-2017, 10:14 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,743,019 times
It says plainly in the article that the FBI is investigating cases that MAY be linked to various domestic groups including environmentalists & White supremacists. It also sounds as if these cases are only alleged, and that a good chunk of them are investigations into left wing enviro-terrorsits. Also, wth Antifa being a designated "domestic terrorism" group, I wonder how many of those thousand cases are into Antifa?

At best, the article is intentionally misleading.

Old 09-27-2017, 10:15 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,358,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I have no problem with this, and no one should either.

Threads mentioning bombing and hate crime plots by neo nazi types hardly get any response on this forum, but if a Middle Eastern person was convicted of plotting a terrorist attack on US soil, it gets ten times as response and full blown panic.

A look at the data on domestic terrorism and who

Maybe that's because we don't need a federal investigation of every Joe Dirt wannabee who doesn't like the government.

Hutaree militia trial: Michigan group are CLEARED - despite massive undercover operation | Daily Mail Online

Meanwhile...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dax8KvfPXPI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU3_hOPmX7Q

Old 09-27-2017, 10:20 PM

39,838 posts, read 26,474,115 times
Quote:
Since then — from Sept. 12, 2001, to Dec. 31, 2016 — there have been 85 attacks in the country by violent extremists resulting in 225 deaths. GAO reported citing data from the U.S. Extremist Crime Database.

Of those 225 deaths:

• 106 individuals were killed by far-right violent extremists in 62 separate incidents;

• 119 individuals were killed by radical Islamist violent extremists in 23 separate incidents;
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...os-behind-it/#

So...white people make up roughly 70% of the population of the United States. Muslims make up approximately 1%. Yet this one percent kills more in terrorists attacks than the 70%? Which group do YOU see as a problem? Come on now, there are some out there that aren't completely incapable of math.

Or to put it a different way-a Muslim is 70 times more likely to kill Americans in a terrorist attack than a white person.

Old 09-27-2017, 10:21 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,537,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Let's take a closer look at this......

"The FBI has about 1,000 open investigations into potential domestic terrorists, including people who may be linked to extremist white supremacy, white nationalism and environmental movements, the agency's new chief, Christopher Wray, told Congress today"

The FBI has about 1,000 cases (something tells me they're rounding up.) that potentially, may include people linked to White supremacy. The actual story is much less shocking than the troll bait OP laid out.

Further wet blanketing this non-story, is the fact that, included in the figure are environmental movements. Now, I'm not going to argue these movements aren't extremely White both demographically & culturally, but they're hardly right wing.

In addition to these points, we have no idea what the incidents actually are. There are some agencies that list any accusation of hate crimes, racial epitaphs, etc. Since Trump took office dozens of racial & religious hoaxes by Alt-lefties have been exposed. Could it be any nonsensical accusation is part of these investigations?

Lastly, yes, there is more domestic terrorism than ISIS terrorism in the US. Logically, with 320 million Americans vs the relatively small number of Muslim immigrants, there should be more domestic terrorism. This is self evident. The idea is not that we're like Europe, where Islamic terror has become the new normal, rather we should strive to ensure it never becomes the norm in the United States.
Troll bait. It sure got you tripping over yourself to minimize.

What I actually took from this was that, logically, the FBI can't get to all of them, so whatever the actual percentage is of white supremacist terrorism, there are more that aren't yet on their radar. I have no real concern that it will become the norm though. What the FBI and LE can't or won't handle, ordinary citizens will.

Old 09-27-2017, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
So...white people make up roughly 70% of the population of the United States. Muslims make up approximately 1%. Yet this one percent kills more in terrorists attacks than the 70%? Which group do YOU see as a problem? Come on now, there are some out there that aren't completely incapable of math.

Or to put it a different way-a Muslim is 70 times more likely to kill Americans in a terrorist attack than a white person.
I see them both as a problem. We don't view white folks as terrorists. We just don't. The KKK have killed countless black people and they're not X "times more likely to kill Americans in a terrorist attack" than anyone. We just don't do that kind of math.

Old 09-27-2017, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I have no problem with this, and no one should either.

Threads mentioning bombing and hate crime plots by neo nazi types hardly get any response on this forum, but if a Middle Eastern person was convicted of plotting a terrorist attack on US soil, it gets ten times as response and full blown panic.

A look at the data on domestic terrorism and who
"Most of the attacks were carried out by far-right violent extremists. But more people died during attacks connected with Islamic jihadist extremists."

For those who don't want to click.

Old 09-27-2017, 10:56 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,805,207 times
You are more likely to die in a car crash than be killed by a neo nazi or jihadi or gangbanger for that matter. Everyone should relax just a tad. Not saying they are not issues but they are not pearl clutching issues for most people. Besides if your number is up, it's up. Live on and be aware.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies