Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 11:21 PM

3,321 posts, read 2,134,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
But what I don't get is, if the age of consent in Japan is 13 like I read as well, then how come most Japanese kids of have never been kissed? Japan seems like a very sexually open nation, with their very low age of consent and with a lot of the content there as well, so why is it that they are not more sexually active, if that's the case?

The answer is to be found within a confluence of cultural and socioeconomic causes. It's very complicated, but the effects are both obvious and worrisome for the nation's prospect of long-term stability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2018, 11:25 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,647,828 times
I find it really interesting that the "age of consent" in fact, mainly applies to females. No one cares when guys have their first sexual experience, but the experiences of females must be legislated.

It is this way to accommodate males . . . the sexual consent of females benefits males - thus, it is as early as is possible in "x" state.

Drinking age is an entirely different matter, but males MUST have sexual access to females by law, and the younger the better.

Old 07-05-2018, 12:52 AM

27,146 posts, read 13,438,724 times
Quote:
Not sure if this is the right forum to ask such a question but it's always baffled me, and personally I feel that a person has to be more mature and responsible to screw, than to drink, but that's is my perception of it.

But what do you think?
There is usually a difference between being able to drink and actually go in to a pub or bar unaccompanied and order a drink or buy alcohol from a shop.

In the UK, it is illegal to give alcohol to anyonme under under 5 years old, but it is legal for adults to buy alcohol for children over four to drink in the home, although not excessively or this would become a child protection issue. However Children can not drink in public places.

You can go in to a pub if accompanied by an adult, but must not drink alcohol in a licensed premises until 16 when you can drink beer, wine or cider with a meal if it is bought by an adult and they are accompanied by an adult in a restaurant or pub/bar. You also can not buy alcohol until age 18.

You can legally go in to a pub and order alcohol and buy alcohol from a shop from age 18.

It's the same for most of Europe, and in some countries children sit outside with their parents and enjoy a glass of wine with their meal.

BBC NEWS | UK | Children and drink: What's legal?

In terms of the age of consent it is 16 in the UK, and whilst you can apply top the Army Foundation College at 16, you can not fight in a war until 18. Whilst in Europe, the age of consent is often 14 or 15 years old.

Ages of consent in Europe - Wikipedia

Inside the college that trains the UK's youngest soldiers | The Guardian

So in many countries the age of consent is not lower than the drinking age, it's just lower than the age at which you can buy alcohol or go in toi a licensed premises unaccompanied.

Last edited by Brave New World; 07-05-2018 at 01:06 AM..

Old 07-05-2018, 02:09 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,755,581 times
Quote:
Not sure if this is the right forum to ask such a question but it's always baffled me, and personally I feel that a person has to be more mature and responsible to screw, than to drink, but that's is my perception of it.

But what do you think?
IMO enforcement of a drinking age is right about at the limit of what could be considered acceptable government intrusion into private matters. An attempt by the state to control the sexuality of people in their late teens and early 20s would be way over the line, and futile in any case.

Last edited by The Dark Enlightenment; 07-05-2018 at 02:30 AM..

Old 07-05-2018, 02:23 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,755,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I find it really interesting that the "age of consent" in fact, mainly applies to females. No one cares when guys have their first sexual experience, but the experiences of females must be legislated.

It is this way to accommodate males . . . the sexual consent of females benefits males - thus, it is as early as is possible in "x" state.

Drinking age is an entirely different matter, but males MUST have sexual access to females by law, and the younger the better.
That is some very odd reasoning. How can you claim that consent laws limit females unfairly and at the same time complain that they are too early? Also, these laws are about limiting sexual access, not granting it.

Old 07-05-2018, 05:10 AM

17,604 posts, read 17,642,256 times
As I understand it there was once a time when a daughter began her menstration then it was time for her parents to find her a husband. As society changed then they began setting an age limit to help protect young girls. Allegedly part of the drinking age limit has to do with the brain’s maturity. This is part of the reason why auto insurance companies charge a higher rate to insure younger drivers. I’m not saying I agree with this reasoning. In the military we have people less than 21 years old operating and maintaining nuclear reactors. I’ve seen plenty of older adults committing multiple DUIs.

Old 07-05-2018, 04:25 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,068,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post

I thought it applied to males as I do recall two court cases when female teachers were indicted for having sex with underage male students. So it applies to both therefore, doesn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies