Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 05:56 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,271,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
If Dr. Seuss is such a "cliche' " and "outdated" then why do schools celebrate his birthday? Why do kids still enjoy his books today? I know my kids will pull their Dr. Seuss books out still (some are older then they are) and read them.

In the end one school in every state received these books to help promote National Read a Book Day. It's actually pretty rude of that school to turn away a gift especially when schools are holding fundraisers to purchase books for their libraries.
Not just "cliche" and "outdated" ........ BUT ....... RACIST!!!!!!!
This Sanctimonious & Arrogant "Librarian" had no difficulty with the Obamas' honor Dr. suess last year on his birthday and you can take it to the bank that she would have gushed her little heart out IF Mrs Obama had sent her school some books with White House Book Plates.

The worst of it all ..... she read Mrs Trump's letter to the class and then explained why the school would NOT accept the books (without checking with the School, which is very embarrassed) and added in her "they are RACIST comment" ....... to these Black Leftists, breathing by ANY white person is "racist".

THIS is why Donald J. Trump was elected - the total ARROGANCE of these Leftists and their Indoctrination of Children for their Political AGENDA. An addendum is that the Head of the Library of Congress (appointed by Obama in late 2016) is one of her "good buddies" that she commiserates with by letter on that awful/unsuitable Trump.

Liz Phipps Soeiro
School Librarian
Cambridge, MA

Is in serious need of a few books - not for her school Library, but for her personal Library.
Emily Post on Etiquette and Miss Manners on basic Manners - would be a good start.

I don't read Brietbart, but it's always been clear to me that the Leftist Hatred toward Breitbart is BECAUSE they actually report this horrible stuff and back it up with LINKS to the Local articles.

IF, I were a Radical Leftist ...... I would hate them also. It's a major NO-NO to actually post Local Articles about the Arrogance and Nastiness of the Leftists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 06:00 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,967,872 times
What a very small person this librarian is. Very small.

Old 09-28-2017, 06:07 PM

5,069 posts, read 2,279,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
That doesn't change the fact that libraries are obsolete.
I disagree. Our library is actually being expanded because so many people use it. My daughter reads between 6 and 8 books a month. Very glad I don't have to buy them. The library also hosts events for kids and adults. Last month they had an animal rescue company bring in a skunk, chinchilla, Tegu lizard and wallaby. It was awesome.

Old 09-28-2017, 06:18 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
I disagree. Our library is actually being expanded because so many people use it. My daughter reads between 6 and 8 books a month. Very glad I don't have to buy them. The library also hosts events for kids and adults. Last month they had an animal rescue company bring in a skunk, chinchilla, Tegu lizard and wallaby. It was awesome.
I understand their place within communities and all the things that go on there. I just think it can be achieved within the private sector.

No need to be robbed at gunpoint so my neighbor's kids can learn about lizards.

Books, movies, cds...the tangible stuff inside them are on the internet.

The activities can be held in private residences.

Old 09-28-2017, 06:22 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,331,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I understand their place within communities and all the things that go on there. I just think it can be achieved within the private sector.

No need to be robbed at gunpoint so my neighbor's kids can learn about lizards.

Books, movies, cds...the tangible stuff inside them are on the internet.

The activities can be held in private residences.
Ok, now you're just trolling.

Old 09-28-2017, 06:23 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Ok, now you're just trolling.
LOL.

How?

Old 09-28-2017, 06:38 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,737,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
This supposed amazing gift was just 10 Dr. Seuss books, LOL. The market value of the gift would have been less than the cost of a fast food value meal.

Politics aside, the librarian's comments about Dr. Seuss being outdated are correct. Very few children are reading Dr. Seuss these days, much better and more modern stuff is available now. Dr. Seuss is really more popular among adults looking for a touch of nostalgia.
I don't know where you got that from. My son spent a month of pre-k earlier this year learning about Dr. Seuss. Reading books watching the movies etc...He loves The Lorax.

Old 09-28-2017, 06:49 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
This is the best part (NOT):

"Phipps Soeiro added that the Dr. Seuss books contained illustrations “steeped in racist propaganda” and offered an alternate list of ten books that include two titles advocating for the legalization of illegal aliens."

It must be that Green Eggs and Ham one.
i missed that. what a nutbar.

why is it that women with two last names are usually loopy?

Old 09-28-2017, 07:13 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,948,599 times
Dr. Seuss books were always a favorite of my kids growing up. Not once did I find anything remotely racist about them.

Apparently the National Education Association is offering grants for diversity-themed childrens literature. Not too hard to see where this is going. Here's a review from one recommendation.

"The repressive new mayor, Don Pepe, first outlaws public singing and then follows up with a deluge of ever-stricter laws until La Paz falls completely silent. Seven years pass before change struts into La Paz in the form of a little rooster (gallito). When he wakes up singing “Kee-kee-ree-KEE!” he initiates a serious standoff with the mayor: Don Pepe chops down the gallito’s mango tree, cages him, starves him, and finally threatens to make him into soup. But the gallito sings bravely on, even in the face of impending death (“I sing for those who dare not sing — or have forgotten how”) until the villagers once again find their voices, and together they sing Don Pepe away."

Old 09-28-2017, 07:18 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Dr. Seuss books were always a favorite of my kids growing up. Not once did I find anything remotely racist about them.

Apparently the National Education Association is offering grants for diversity-themed childrens literature. Not too hard to see where this is going. Here's a review from one recommendation.

"The repressive new mayor, Don Pepe, first outlaws public singing and then follows up with a deluge of ever-stricter laws until La Paz falls completely silent. Seven years pass before change struts into La Paz in the form of a little rooster (gallito). When he wakes up singing “Kee-kee-ree-KEE!” he initiates a serious standoff with the mayor: Don Pepe chops down the gallito’s mango tree, cages him, starves him, and finally threatens to make him into soup. But the gallito sings bravely on, even in the face of impending death (“I sing for those who dare not sing — or have forgotten how”) until the villagers once again find their voices, and together they sing Don Pepe away."
what's this? a social justice chicken?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies