Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 01:34 PM

20,862 posts, read 9,527,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
She has her own house though in Mississippi. She likely owns it outright and only pays a little bit of property tax.

Mississippi, West Virginia and Kentucky have a very high percentage of the population where the only bill is the utility and property tax bill.

Utilities are a problem though because houses are large in that part of the country. But they own their home outright instead of the bank.
There are plenty of homeless in rural America too. They just aren't as visible as the urban ones because they tend to be hidden in the woods. I once had a job where I encountered some of these: people living in tents out in the woods on public property (in this case it was city watershed land).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 01:38 PM

20,862 posts, read 9,527,489 times
Quote:
17% of the population in poverty in Wichita compared 22% in Los Angeles

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...nsas/PST045216
Well whoop-te-do. Another city in Kansas - Kansas City, KS - has a HIGHER poverty rate than Los Angeles:
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...rnia/PST045216
24.9% vs 22.1%

Old 09-29-2017, 02:09 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,727,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
For years I have been advocating that the state of California build large camps out in the desert to house the homeless, much like was done during WWII for the Japanese.

If they did that, it would accomplish a couple of things.

It would tell those that want to come to California, you better have a job, and living quarters lined up, or you will be living in the desert.

It will put the brake son the spread of disease, because health clinics could be part of the camps.

Also job counseling, and education could also be a part of these camps.

Sure would beat the hell out of living in a cardboard box on the sidewalk.

Bob.
They need substance abuse counseling and mental health assistance, as well. It is not to say that all of those who are homeless have a mental health issue because a lot of CA residents are a paycheck away from being on the streets themselves in this overpriced state. But once one does become homeless on the streets, it's not difficult to see why some of them would resort to drugs to escape the reality of their situation, and that, in turn, can affect their mental health.

What can CA do about it?

For starters, stop raising taxes on everything so often. Every time the state does that, they hurt the lower class workers...the ones that CA raves about caring about so much. Except that they don't because their policies hurt those very people.

They could put some of these people to work cleaning up sidewalks, store plaza parking lots and walkways, trash around the city (any city), etc. A lot of CA is one huge junk pile. I've seen garbage on the side of roads before, litter, and the worst I ever saw was when I was flying back from Germany and was landing in NYC, but CA has so much of it that I can't understand how anyone could sit here with a straight face and deny it.

WA state has it's share of litter, but most of it's pretty clean. TX has some litter, and the Gulf is brown which isn't too nice, but the rest of the state is pretty clean. FL is pretty clean, as well. Maine? Totally clean.

Then I come to CA, a place I grew up as a kid, and it used to be relatively clean, and I'm met with filth, everywhere. The air is filthy. I remember commenting on it when I first got here: "Why does the air have a gray/yellow tint?" It's not the sun, the sun beat down more in FL than in CA, it's the actual air, you can see the filth in the air. When I had to get a smog test - something I'd not had to have done for awhile because the states I was in did not require them, I understood. I even told the guy who was doing the test that this state needs it because you can see the filthy air right in front of you.

Then even in decent neighborhoods, there's trash everywhere. Some shopping areas have a cleaner come by nightly to clean up the parking lot, sidewalks, etc but by mid day the next day, it's all trashed again. It's like no one takes any pride in their own neighborhoods. They don't care what it looks like. It's disgusting.

SF is gross. Some of the surrounding areas that are horrifically expensive to live in are ok, but it should be better. LA has always been filthy. To say that most of it is nice is a joke and a lie. It has always been a dirty city.

CA is not what it used to be. It's being destroyed, left and right, in so many ways, and yet many of those from there that come on here absolutely refuse to admit that. Thankfully it's not all of them, thankfully some can see it and acknowledge it.

You can't fix a problem until you acknowledge that it exists. It exists, CA people.

Old 09-29-2017, 02:30 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,861,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
Alright, now I've seen everything. You're right... much better off to own a cheap shack in a place with low job opportunities than carry a mortgage with a good paying job.
I guess for the 10-20% of the population that is lucky enough to have a captive audience for their consultant, tech or lawyer services a massive city like Los Angeles makes sense.

$100,000 gross a city like LA is less than $65,000 net after sky-high taxes and then there is health insurance and other deductions.

$65,000 net doesn't buy much in Los Angeles because literally everyone buys a car there as soon as they can afford it and gas is 3.69 at many stations.

$65,000 net after a $100,000 gross income is basically a 1 bedroom apartment in a questionable area with lots of riff-raff

Old 09-29-2017, 02:32 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I'm beginning to wonder if lovecrowds is, like, unemployed, or something, given the vast number of threads he/she/it starts every day.

Anyway here's 3rd world Los Angeles. Not.

Notice all the construction cranes in this one.

Or employed by Russia. Apparently the Russians are posting things on social media to cause dissent among Americans. The OP seems intent on sparking a war between North Dakota and California.

Old 09-29-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
True, and now the disease is spreading through, such as Hepatitis A just recently. Yuck.

Hepatitis A outbreak sparks call for L.A. to give homeless people more street toilets - LA Times

Hundreds of homeless people kicked off the streets as San Diego battles hepatitis A outbreak that has killed 17 - LA Times

Health officials in California are struggling to contain fierce outbreaks of hepatitis A among homeless people and drug abusers in three counties, including San Diego, where at least 17 people have died.
California Scrambles To Contain

I delayed my vacation for a couple of months until they clean that crap up a bit. If they don't Iĺl just head somewhere else.
Were you going to vacation with the homeless?

Old 09-29-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
Alright, now I've seen everything. You're right... much better off to own a cheap shack in a place with low job opportunities than carry a mortgage with a good paying job.
Yep. Like it's better to die from an opioid addiction than hepatitis. There's no explaining the OP's posts.

Old 09-29-2017, 02:41 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,488,497 times
Quote:

I guess for the 10-20% of the population that is lucky enough to have a captive audience for their consultant, tech or lawyer services a massive city like Los Angeles makes sense.

$100,000 gross a city like LA is less than $65,000 net after sky-high taxes and then there is health insurance and other deductions.

$65,000 net doesn't buy much in Los Angeles because literally everyone buys a car there as soon as they can afford it and gas is 3.69 at many stations.

$65,000 net after a $100,000 gross income is basically a 1 bedroom apartment in a questionable area with lots of riff-raff
People making $100k in LA aren't living in Beverly Hills or Santa Monica. They're living in the suburbs just 30 mins out. It's not THAT expensive... a person making $100k certainly couldn't buy their own SFH but is it anyone's expectation for a single person to buy a SFH anywhere on a middle class salary? You're making it out to be waaaaay worse than it is. You know, plenty of people live in LA and make far less than $100k. And no, they aren't homeless.

Old 09-29-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
They need substance abuse counseling and mental health assistance, as well. It is not to say that all of those who are homeless have a mental health issue because a lot of CA residents are a paycheck away from being on the streets themselves in this overpriced state. But once one does become homeless on the streets, it's not difficult to see why some of them would resort to drugs to escape the reality of their situation, and that, in turn, can affect their mental health.

What can CA do about it?

For starters, stop raising taxes on everything so often. Every time the state does that, they hurt the lower class workers...the ones that CA raves about caring about so much. Except that they don't because their policies hurt those very people.

They could put some of these people to work cleaning up sidewalks, store plaza parking lots and walkways, trash around the city (any city), etc. A lot of CA is one huge junk pile. I've seen garbage on the side of roads before, litter, and the worst I ever saw was when I was flying back from Germany and was landing in NYC, but CA has so much of it that I can't understand how anyone could sit here with a straight face and deny it.

WA state has it's share of litter, but most of it's pretty clean. TX has some litter, and the Gulf is brown which isn't too nice, but the rest of the state is pretty clean. FL is pretty clean, as well. Maine? Totally clean.

Then I come to CA, a place I grew up as a kid, and it used to be relatively clean, and I'm met with filth, everywhere. The air is filthy. I remember commenting on it when I first got here: "Why does the air have a gray/yellow tint?" It's not the sun, the sun beat down more in FL than in CA, it's the actual air, you can see the filth in the air. When I had to get a smog test - something I'd not had to have done for awhile because the states I was in did not require them, I understood. I even told the guy who was doing the test that this state needs it because you can see the filthy air right in front of you.

Then even in decent neighborhoods, there's trash everywhere. Some shopping areas have a cleaner come by nightly to clean up the parking lot, sidewalks, etc but by mid day the next day, it's all trashed again. It's like no one takes any pride in their own neighborhoods. They don't care what it looks like. It's disgusting.

SF is gross. Some of the surrounding areas that are horrifically expensive to live in are ok, but it should be better. LA has always been filthy. To say that most of it is nice is a joke and a lie. It has always been a dirty city.

CA is not what it used to be. It's being destroyed, left and right, in so many ways, and yet many of those from there that come on here absolutely refuse to admit that. Thankfully it's not all of them, thankfully some can see it and acknowledge it.

You can't fix a problem until you acknowledge that it exists. It exists, CA people.
I don't think anyone is denying that California has big problems with homelessness, infrastructure, etc. But it's the OP's insistence or comparing California to states like South Dakota, and to portraying every rural area as some sort of Nirvana, that is so puzzling.

Old 09-29-2017, 03:53 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,570,932 times
The hobo telegraph has bums and addicts coming to LA because they heard you can make a lot of money panhandling. NEVER give them money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies