Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support repeal of the Estate Tax?
I support repeal of the Estate Tax. 117 50.21%
I do not support repeal of the Estate Tax. 116 49.79%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 10:59 AM

19,623 posts, read 12,218,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
The purpose of the estate tax was not to frustrate small business but to keep the Rockefellers, Astors, and Carnegies from becoming dynasties and thus creating a permanent upper class.
Yet it doesn't work that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 11:02 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,660,588 times
This is worth pondering.

If you voted for the repeal of the estate tax, why are you so personally concerned with what happens to the money of someone you don't know?

It is a serious question. It isn't your money. Absolutely nothing changes for 99.999% of Americans, so why do you care so much?

Is your concern for the government claiming the estate of a dead person so great that it outweighs the very real problem of dynastic wealth?

Do you want more political dynasties like the Clintons? Because the estate tax stops that.

Or do you want to live in a nation strangled by an honest to god aristocracy? Are you just really excited for the prospect of living like the British underclass of the 1800's?

You are never going to be rich. You are never going to have an estate to leave.

Even if you did, why do you keep forgetting that you will be dead?

Repeat that.

You are going to be dead.

It's really the most overlooked aspect of this debate. I can guarantee that you will have absolutely no political opinions about the estate tax as it applies to your estate, because you will be dead.

Why on earth would anyone be this obsessed over the accumulated wealth of a dead person they don't know?

Old 10-02-2017, 11:11 AM

19,623 posts, read 12,218,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Why on earth would anyone be this obsessed over the accumulated wealth of a dead person they don't know?
If you have to ask such questions you would not comprehend the answers.

Old 10-02-2017, 11:25 AM

13,955 posts, read 5,621,810 times
Quote:
why are you so personally concerned with what happens to the money of someone you don't know?
Why should you be concerned about anything that doesn't happen to you? Of all the crimes that we have laws against, you shouldn't care if we have those laws if those crimes have never actually occurred to you, right?

Since you typed that response, I am assuming you've never been murdered. Why should you care about laws against murder? After all, you've never been murdered and if you were, you'd be dead anyway, so why care?

If that sounds absurd, it should, because it is the exact same argument you just put forth, which was absurd.

Old 10-02-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
If you have to ask such questions you would not comprehend the answers.
I am a tax attorney who specializes in international restructuring, transfers, and trade deals.

Before that, I was a CPA and tax analyst for one of the Big Four.

I assure you, I have the wherewithal to withstand whatever secret truth you feel I am too ignorant to understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Why should you be concerned about anything that doesn't happen to you? Of all the crimes that we have laws against, you shouldn't care if we have those laws if those crimes have never actually occurred to you, right?

Since you typed that response, I am assuming you've never been murdered. Why should you care about laws against murder? After all, you've never been murdered and if you were, you'd be dead anyway, so why care?

If that sounds absurd, it should, because it is the exact same argument you just put forth, which was absurd.
It is strange that you compare two incomparable matters, and then commit several logical fallacies afterwards, only to conclude that my argument is the absurd one.

I do not want someone else to take the life of another person. That's murder.

What happens to someone's financial matters when they are dead is not equal to or comparable with murder.

We all die. We should not be murdered.

No matter how we die, once we are dead, the world we leave behind still has to go on.

If it's murder, there is a legal system to deal with that.

If it's an estate, society has to deal with the very real consequences of dynastic wealth.

Incidentally, the ease with which I was able to completely dismantle your deeply flawed argument is something we can talk about if you wish to improve.

Old 10-02-2017, 12:28 PM

45,222 posts, read 26,431,296 times
Quote:
I am a tax attorney who specializes in international restructuring, transfers, and trade deals.

Before that, I was a CPA and tax analyst for one of the Big Four.

I assure you, I have the wherewithal to withstand whatever secret truth you feel I am too ignorant to understand.

It is strange that you compare two incomparable matters, and then commit several logical fallacies afterwards, only to conclude that my argument is the absurd one.

I do not want someone else to take the life of another person. That's murder.

What happens to someone's financial matters when they are dead is not equal to or comparable with murder.

We all die. We should not be murdered.

No matter how we die, once we are dead, the world we leave behind still has to go on.

If it's murder, there is a legal system to deal with that.

If it's an estate, society has to deal with the very real consequences of dynastic wealth.

Incidentally, the ease with which I was able to completely dismantle your deeply flawed argument is something we can talk about if you wish to improve.
so your a state crony who sees the myriad of tax laws as money in your pocket

Old 10-02-2017, 01:03 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,939,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
YOU aren't being generous when YOU are using other peoples money to fund YOUR generosity. YOU are just a common thief wrapping yourself in a nice word to make Yourself feel better.
Do you live in the woods? If you use public roads or have your children educated at public schools then you are hypocrite. Taxes are necessary for society to function. I get it though you don't see past your own wallet.

Old 10-02-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
so your a state crony who sees the myriad of tax laws as money in your pocket
No, I'm arguing for the estate tax.

The cronies you need to concern yourself with are elected officials, because they are members of the select few to whom the estate tax applies.

Unless you're really comfortable in a world where it's always Bush v. Clinton.

Old 10-02-2017, 01:11 PM

25 posts, read 12,935 times
You people realize that the estate tax only kicks in after $5 million? It doesn't apply to regular middle class earners. I am astounded by how many wish to repeal it - this would only help the insanely rich get slightly richer.

Old 10-02-2017, 01:14 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,457,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiveMind View Post
You people realize that the estate tax only kicks in after $5 million? It doesn't apply to regular middle class earners. I am astounded by how many wish to repeal it - this would only help the insanely rich get slightly richer.

welcome to the seeming paradox of the middle/working class GOP voter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies