Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 09:09 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times

Advertisements

Gee, I have cable and I don't watch any highly politicized anything. I seldom watch any network programming, except for the local news station to get local news and weather, and I'm bored to tears by sports anyway. I like cable so I can watch classic movies, true crime stories, nature programs, the History and Nat Geo channels, and pretty much any program on vintage home restoration. No politics there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 10:08 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
Thanks for politicizing everything. You have permanently lost a customer. Even though I dont have any sports or movies packages, I am still getting rid of basic cable because the award shows, late night comedy, sports events are turning into your political platform. You do not understand my middle class issues & your protests are against hardworking, struggling people like me. Hope you have enough paying customers who agree with your hateful rhetoric. Award shows used to be huge event with my friends but they are quickly turning into heated political debates so thanks for taking that away from me. Going to hang out with friends at coffee shops, go for a hike, visit the farmers market....rather than watching tv or movies with them.

#MAHA - Make America Healthy Again .....get rid of your cable
I got rid of cable years ago, waste of money. Had nothing to do with politics.

Old 09-29-2017, 10:20 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,032,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
The sun is still going to rise and set today, and life will go on as usual. You are not the only hard working struggling person in the world. I'm sure you have millions of hard working struggling people of all stripes, I know many of them and many are in my family. I think you are taking things way too serious. Life is too short to be stressing yourself out over something like that. This is the world we live in today, and I don't see anything changing anytime soon. All that unnecessary stress is not good for your health. Have a blessed day.
lol. If getting rid of cable is what you consider stressful, you're the one with the problem.

Old 09-29-2017, 10:21 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Can't wait to see the Dolphins play in London this Sunday

Old 09-29-2017, 10:30 AM

8,168 posts, read 3,128,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
LOL, cable companies don't make the shows, they just put a wire in your house so you can watch them if you want. If you get rabbit ears The Emmys etc, will still look the same.
The cable companies are the starting point. If too many people tune out, they lose their advertising revenue. It's a domino effect.

But yeah, if there is greater numbers of subscribers who like and are in favor of the Anti-America Anti-Trump, Anti-Conservative, Anti-Republican, Anti-Law Enforcement, Anti-Patriot, Anti-Military rhetoric that tv entertainment has to offer, it won't really matter if they lose the less number of subscribers.

Old 09-29-2017, 10:30 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,295,922 times
With digital broadcasting replacing analog signals, many more free channels are available. The move to digital was done to save bandwidth. If you want to get a rough estimate of the number of free channels available in an area, take the number of major network channels and multiply it by 3 or 4, because only a fraction of the bandwidth previously needed to broadcast is needed with digital. That allows the primary station to add 2 to as many as 4 additional sub-channels for which they can sell local programming.

So an area that once had 5 broadcast channels will probably have 15-20 available now, just by more efficient use of bandwidth.

Rather then cutting though, I'm on the other extreme. I have about 15 free broadcast channels, but I still have cable, as well as streaming channels (Acorn, Amazon, Britbox, CBS All-Access, ESPN3, HBO Go, History Vault, Hulu, MLB (in season), NBA (in season) and Netflix. I do have limits though. I had Warner Instant Archive, but dropped it.

If you want a good free news app, CBS News Network has free streaming apps on Roku and Apple TV, as does Brit broadcaster Sky News.

Last edited by Bureaucat; 09-29-2017 at 10:44 AM..

Old 09-29-2017, 10:32 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,953,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post

#MAHA - Make America Healthy Again .....get rid of your cable
Not a chance. I can only get 3 stations through over-the-air TV, due to my living in a river valley, and those are our NBC affiliate WNYT out of Albany, MeTV, and one other channel. 13.1, 13.2, and 13.3.

I don't watch sports outside of the Olympics, gymnastics and figure skating, and I also don't watch late-night talk shows.

Old 09-29-2017, 10:34 AM

8,168 posts, read 3,128,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Can't wait to see the Dolphins play in London this Sunday
While you're sitting on the couch in front of the tube stuffing your face for two and a half hours, I'll be out skateboarding across the city and maybe out kite surfing if the wind is up. Have fun and be sure to say something anti-Trumpish while you're taking a knee during the National Anthem.

Old 09-29-2017, 10:38 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,953,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I got rid of cable along with tens of millions of others to protest >$120 monthly bills.
Between my "Starter" TV (which is still 60+ channels) and WiFi Internet, I only pay $84/month. I have Spectrum/TWC.

Old 09-29-2017, 11:23 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
Cable tv, aside from HBO, was never ad free. When cable started it only carried broadcast stations which had been showing ads since tv broadcasting began.
We had it for a little bit of time as kids, (before parents decided it wasn't worth the money - they were years ahead of everyone else in realizing it wasn't worth it), and there were no ads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies