Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Were Trump's Tweets Attacking Puerto Rico Justified?
YES. San Juan Mayor Carmen Cruz's comments against Trump were exaggerated and she deserved a harsh reply. 105 36.71%
NO. Trump's tweets were heartless and mean, given that many PR residents have no water, food, gas, cell phone service, and no medical supplies. 181 63.29%
Voters: 286. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 05:16 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Chris Gillette is journalist who has been covering disasters for over 30 years -- Katrina, Haiti, etc.

"I was stunned as I walked through the darkened and humid arrivals terminal at San Juan's International Airport two days after Hurricane Maria blasted its way across Puerto Rico."

"It was quiet. No military air traffic control units on the tarmac directing planeloads of aid supplies, no bustling command centre sending convoys of trucks to hard-hit areas. No mountains of relief goods stacked and ready to be deployed where needed."

"Where," I asked, "is the cavalry?" ''This is it," the FEMA guy replied, pointing to several dozen people milling about.

In hurricane-hit Puerto Rico, a stunning silence

Hospital ship is due to arrive tomorrow and another Navy ship has been dispatched.

I understand General Buchanan has arrived along with thousands of troops and things are ramping up.

It's about damn time.
Hate to tell you, but "Operation Katrina" (the name of the anti-Trumpers operation to make Maria President Trump's "Katrina") has failed.

We now know that the U.S. Navy had ships stationed off shore with equipment and supplies even before Maria made landfall on the island.

We also know that the USS Comfort would have been of little help, as it is not designed for relief efforts, but for military operations in combat situations. The ships that were stationed offshore have hospital facilities, and also well decks (for equipment and supplies) and helicopter decks.

We also know that the biggest problem with Puerto Rico is their own failure ...trucks not being unloaded because of their union workers.

Puerto Rico also forced the U.S. military out some years ago, resulting of the shuttering of the base we once had there. Thus we had no land base of operation to aid in this disaster.

Know your facts so you don't continue to make a fool of yourself.

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...to-rico-crisis

Last edited by nononsenseguy; 10-03-2017 at 05:24 AM..

Old 10-03-2017, 05:21 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Trump is right, that the governance in Puerto Rico is to blame for the poor infrastructure, but it was a bit boorish to kick them while they’re down. The mayor started it, though.

Anyway, I asked my DIL, who is from PR, who was right, the Mayor of San Juan or the Governor. She said her friends sided more with the mayor. However, my DILs 30-something friends skew Democrat.

She also said that her father and brothers had to wait 24 hours to buy $10. worth of gas each. The gas station ran out, so they had to wait for a delivery. Her family has generators and is sharing electricity with some neighbors. They even had a gas tank on their farm, but it will run out soon. They also have a cistern but the water won’t last forever either. They are being careful to make things last.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:02 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats Grobnick View Post
Pretty sad when a celebrity is upstaging the President when it comes to relief efforts
upstaged, huh,
he sent more than this?

Old 10-03-2017, 06:23 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,846,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Trump is right, that the governance in Puerto Rico is to blame for the poor infrastructure, but it was a bit boorish to kick them while they’re down. The mayor started it, though.

Anyway, I asked my DIL, who is from PR, who was right, the Mayor of San Juan or the Governor. She said her friends sided more with the mayor. However, my DILs 30-something friends skew Democrat.

She also said that her father and brothers had to wait 24 hours to buy $10. worth of gas each. The gas station ran out, so they had to wait for a delivery. Her family has generators and is sharing electricity with some neighbors. They even had a gas tank on their farm, but it will run out soon. They also have a cistern but the water won’t last forever either. They are being careful to make things last.
Think this is a humanitarian huge, humanitarian crisis, politics should not play here. Trump, as usual, made it his goal to put someone in a vulnerable situation down. Bully, that he is.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:19 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
Think this is a humanitarian huge, humanitarian crisis, politics should not play here. Trump, as usual, made it his goal to put someone in a vulnerable situation down. Bully, that he is.
I get what you are saying, and I agree he can be a bit harsh, but I think he says things as he sees them, and the truth hurts. It is the truth that needs to be said to Puerto Rico. It is that we are going to help you as best we can, but you need to fix some issues about the way your country is being run, because it isn’t working.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:26 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Trump was finally humiliating into kicking things into gear.

What difference does it make it Puerto Rico had a crumbling infrastructure and a lot of debt?

What difference does it make if Houston allowed developments in low lying areas and didn't build adequate drainage?

What difference does it make that Florida developments include a lot of places they shouldn't be building.

They are all Americans and they need help.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:29 AM

https://twitter.com/DavidCornDC/stat...82270083891200

The angels weep.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Where did you read about the staff leaks? I'm not questioning your truthfullness on this article. Rather, I just want to read it.
https://www.axios.com/inside-trumps-...491643924.html

Old 10-03-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post

Know your facts so you don't continue to make a fool of yourself.

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...to-rico-crisis
Did you even read the article?

If these helicopters were all sitting on go, why were they not flying fuel to hospitals?

Where were the boots on the ground?

Why did General Buchanan, who Trump finally appointed after considerable pressure, announce that there were not nearly enough troops, vehicles, and equipment sent to hurricane-ravaged Puerto Rico.

'Not enough' troops, equipment in Puerto Rico, says general in charge of relief | TheHill

This facts of the situation pin a lie to the lips of those who keep posting in defense of Trump.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:14 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Did you even read the article?

If these helicopters were all sitting on go, why were they not flying fuel to hospitals?

Where were the boots on the ground?

Why did General Buchanan, who Trump finally appointed after considerable pressure, announce that there were not nearly enough troops, vehicles, and equipment sent to hurricane-ravaged Puerto Rico.

'Not enough' troops, equipment in Puerto Rico, says general in charge of relief | TheHill

This facts of the situation pin a lie to the lips of those who keep posting in defense of Trump.
Its been half-assed from day-1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies