Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 03:45 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,591,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
You don't have to work until you die. There are still many inexpensive places to live in the US and abroad.

For example, my sister-in-law's mother is enjoying her later years in life living in Ecuador, living on nothing but her social security check. .
Medicare doesn't work outside the US. That is something I wish would change because I'd like to be able to retire abroad at some point. Plenty of elderly people would move to another country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 03:46 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,728,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
Did I miss it or why doesn't this guy have social security? That would be a big help even if he had to work.

I am frankly tired of hearing this old lie. Elderly get social security, medicare, and discounts on things just for being old. There are reverse mortgages... over 55 housing. The whole world bends the knee to them. And as was mentioned, they had their whole lives to save for a rainy day or invest... they chose not to.

I agree that there is a horrible age discrimination problem but honestly what do they expect? Their problem is that they believed the lie that they could work forever and never looked into reality or planned for problems down the road.

The media just *loooovvvees* this kind of story as it tugs at the heart and says we need to do more. But as usual.. it is the people who have it pretty good that just keep on complaining. As recently as 1930 there was no social security or medicare. If you were old and a woman you might as well just kill yourself because life truly wasn't worth living. You had to work all day doing laundry or some back breaking work, no time off... and no sick days and you could be fired for any reason.

Why can't they do jobs like other people: Uber, Left, Safai, Task Rabbit.. and a gazillion other ways of making money.

No they have to go find the worst job they can find so they can day "oh woe is me". No you chose all of that and now you want the world to feel bad for you. Nope.

I know a few young people who are in severely dire straights. No income, no family, and no ability to get an education because of the insane tuitions. But they just do they best they can and cheerfully live in a house with 20 other people and sleep on the floor. It is all about expectations.
What "lie" would that be? The one too far ahead of you to see clearly?

Old 09-30-2017, 03:49 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,728,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
Another case of voting against one's self interest. When will they learn?
Both major parties have a stake in this.

Old 09-30-2017, 03:51 PM

51,655 posts, read 25,850,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Medicare doesn't work outside the US. That is something I wish would change because I'd like to be able to retire abroad at some point. Plenty of elderly people would move to another country.
We have friends in Costa Rica who say that the cost of state run health insurance there is about what what a Medicare supplemental plan would be in the states.

Assisted living centers in Mexico and Costa Rica are also attracting Americans because of their affordable rates and caring staff.

Old 09-30-2017, 03:55 PM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Perhaps the elderly, who no longer have kids at home, should sell their homes and downsize to a Condo, or move to a retirement community. Might alleviate some pressure on the housing market for families...
If their houses are paid for, then they're in older areas that are not highly desired. Condos and retirement communities, however, are nearly always extremely expensive. Even though "downsizing," they may not be saving any money.

According to the surveys I've seen, the main reason older couples don't sell their houses is because they can't afford anyplace else.

Old 09-30-2017, 04:01 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
He had a whole lifetime to save for retirement. No sympathy here.

How much do you expect low-wage workers to save for retirement?

p.s. money spent on inflated rent - an affliction common among low-wage workers - cannot be saved for retirement.

Old 09-30-2017, 04:05 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,755,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
I wouldn`t generalize like that. Most people here in Western Pa. have never seen an illegal alien and the problem is the same. America has never "embraced" aliens be they legal or illegal.
I'm confused by the intent of your post. The other points are do illegals wear badges saying "illegal alien" and why would they go to western PA, it's not a tourist area with a ton of seasonal jobs. You don't see alot of older people working in western PA because most were hit back when the steel mills closed and it was before the rack up debt you can't afford era.

Old 09-30-2017, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
Another case of voting against one's self interest. When will they learn?
Yes because voting Democrat helped them so much during their preparation years.

Old 09-30-2017, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Live in "fly-over" country with all the "dumb and backwards" people I suppose.
LOL, but they are deplorable's and what if they start playing the banjo then demand they squeal like a pig <sarcasm> oh my

Last edited by petch751; 09-30-2017 at 04:36 PM..

Old 09-30-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstelm View Post

i honestly believe that older people are being driven back to work because of Consumerism.

the whole tin foil hat thing where: there are companies that dont know when to stop looking for bigger and bigger profits, cutting labor forces , reducing wages, upping prices, lowering quality and durability of the goods. ( but the massive amounts of ads will confirm- you NEED the product and just so smart for buying it!)
It was simpler times when your grandfather worked. You are right about consumerism, but it's up to the people to resist the constant barrage of advertising trying to get them to part with their money.

Right now I have an iPhone 6 sitting on my desk. Apple now has the iPhone 8 and the iPhone 10 ($1,000 bucks). I'm sure it's cool but why would I, my phone works just fine but that isn't stopping people from buying it instead of putting that money aside or investing for their retirement years. Also the kids have been spoiled, some even living at home living on their parents dime well after they should have left home, I'll bet it never crossed their mind that their parents could use the money for their retirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies