Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 11:23 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,859,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I support single payer but it doesn't work in big mass melting pot countries with a large welfare class... It works better in small homogenous nations with strict immigration controls like Norway, Switzerland, etc.

Can't support giving 10-20% of the population free health care and housing for life for whatever reason they have. Plus its not fair... Why should I have to work so less responsible people can live for free? I'm a selfish bleep. Survival of the fittest. Bring in 5 million refugees and give em all on demand ER service? Allow illegal Mexicans to use our ERs to give birth.... Until we have free energy and robots to do all our work no thanks.
Excellent post.

A small, very well-off country with high employment to population ratio and a much healthier population can have universal healthcare without an issue.

What works very well in Norway and Switzerland will not work in the United States.

If they had Medicare for all the health-care percentage of GDP would likely be the same at best. With the health of the majority of Americans and the rampant unhealthy lifestyles that has gotten worse each and
every year for decades it would still consume a much higher percentage of GDP.

I recently took a trip and stayed in a shared house arrangment. A guy who was 30 years old and traveling from Romania talked about how while his area was not well-off in the mountains of Northern Romania the food is all natural as everyone has a farm and gardens where he lives. I doubt they go out to eat 3 times a day, multiple soda and a couple of milkshakes from coffeehouses there either.

Another guy from Germany said Americans just eat a bunch of chemicals with a smile.

Same thing here in the United States. Universal single-payer health-care system like that is being proposed in California could work in North Dakota, Montana or Wyoming but could never work in a state like California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 05:44 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,583,387 times
Sounds good.

Quick calc.

My employer SAVES 13000.00 MOL
I save 300 a year*

*Probably need a supplement policy which would reverse this. BUT I cannot lose health insurance. Since I already lost my retirement to health costs, it sounds good for me.

Old 10-02-2017, 06:17 AM

8,051 posts, read 12,761,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Link???
Healthcare currently costs the taxpayers (Federal, State & local) 1,592 trillion dollars per year.
Medicare = 588 billion dollars
Medicaid (welfare) = 722 billion dollars.

https://www.usgovernmentspending.com...n_1017#usgs302

I don't see how "Medicare for all" will cost LESS than what we currently spend on welfare medical.

Old 10-02-2017, 06:31 AM

6,046 posts, read 4,814,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Healthcare currently costs the taxpayers (Federal, State & local) 1,592 trillion dollars per year.
Medicare = 588 billion dollars
Medicaid (welfare) = 722 billion dollars.

https://www.usgovernmentspending.com...n_1017#usgs302

I don't see how "Medicare for all" will cost LESS than what we currently spend on welfare medical.
And health insurance premiums (including er subsidies and Medicare) + misc copays/coinsurance? Got to add those on.

Old 10-02-2017, 07:04 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://www.sanders.senate.gov/downl...=1&inline=file

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...tes/105971268/

I guess under the Medicare for all plan the total FICA tax would from 15% to 26%.

The employees share would go to 11.65% and the employers share would go to 14.65%.

The additional taxes would raise 700 billion dollars per year.

I'd support the proposal on principle, but i don't think that it should be funded so heavily by wage taxes.

We already rely too heavily on wages to fund social systems, other types of revenue streams would be good. In this case maybe split the burden across sales taxes on sugar/corn syrup, gasoline, cigarettes, alcohol. If we're going to be paying for people's healthcare we oughta tax the things that are killing us.

Old 10-02-2017, 07:47 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,073,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
I'd support the proposal on principle, but i don't think that it should be funded so heavily by wage taxes.

We already rely too heavily on wages to fund social systems, other types of revenue streams would be good. In this case maybe split the burden across sales taxes on sugar/corn syrup, gasoline, cigarettes, alcohol. If we're going to be paying for people's healthcare we oughta tax the things that are killing us.
People in Europe pay pretty high taxes to have health insurance.
And there's additional taxes as well depending on the country.

This is the way it's funded in other countries...high payroll taxes.

Old 10-02-2017, 08:02 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vette0009 View Post
We need to make it a mandate that all business owners and wealthy corporations provide they're employees with medical/ dental insurance .
And allow them the write off and a tax credit of some kind.
I've been in the work force for 30+ years and my employees have always provided medical and dental. I guess you have to be someone with a job to realize that. It's was also considered an expense which reduced the bottom line. So this was already happening before Obamacare.

Do people not understand how things work. So vette ?????? The only thing Obamacare did was cause a massive rise in premiums and deductibles, force us into terrible insurance policies that didn't meet our needs and give government more control over the people.

Old 10-02-2017, 08:07 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I've been in the work force for 30+ years and my employees have always provided medical and dental. I guess you have to be someone with a job to realize that. It's was also considered an expense which reduced the bottom line. So this was already happening before Obamacare.

So vette ??????
No, a lot of workers don't get employer provided insurance. I didn't get employer provided insurance until I became a truck driver. When I worked in construction, and as a courier, no benefits.

My construction jobs would have had benefits if I had made it to 90 days, but I got started in construction in 2008 (a bad time to start in the industry), so I got laid off every time a project finished

Old 10-02-2017, 08:11 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
No, a lot of workers don't get employer provided insurance. I didn't get employer provided insurance until I became a truck driver. When I worked in construction, and as a courier, no benefits.

My construction jobs would have had benefits if I had made it to 90 days, but I got started in construction in 2008 (a bad time to start in the industry), so I got laid off every time a project finished
so you chose poorly when looking for a job......prior to 2009 74% of employers offered good insurance,,, since Obamacare...its down to 49%

Old 10-02-2017, 08:12 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post

Do people not understand how things work. So vette ?????? The only thing Obamacare did was cause a massive rise in premiums and deductibles, force us into terrible insurance policies that didn't meet our needs and give government more control over the people.
cant rep you...but
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies