Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 11:31 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,192,224 times

Advertisements

OK so maybe there are un-truths, stretching the truth, they meant it when they said it but find out things don't work that way in the real world of politics. Do some start out with good intentions but give up and just start doing money grabs since that's what everyone else does. No one else gets in bad trouble so look the other way while lining pockets, doing special favors, getting "free stuff", free vacations, insider stock tips, whose it hurting anyway, no one in particular. None of the "crooked", unethical go to jail or lose all the money they stashed away. Somehow they get away with being crooked, then go on to make even more money as consultants, lobbying for big corporations, or some cushy job after doing favors while in office.

It seems so often we are reading about one more crooked politician getting away with corruption and nothing happens.

Case in point, here is the latest on yet another one:

Menendez has set a new low for blatant corruption in the US | New York Post

Why is nothing being done? Is it because they are all on the take?

Last edited by Izzie1213; 10-01-2017 at 12:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 11:34 PM

671 posts, read 445,911 times
Yes. They all are on the take. Which is why the swamp is being drained.

Old 09-30-2017, 11:43 PM

12,041 posts, read 6,576,479 times
Nikki Haley?

Old 09-30-2017, 11:44 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,303,823 times
You can't be honest in this line of work. Everybody's guy is stretching the truth at some point because you have to appeal to the other side at some point.

Old 09-30-2017, 11:55 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,910,674 times
"An honest politician is one who, when he is bought, stays bought."
Simon Cameron (US financier and politician - 1799-1889)

Old 10-01-2017, 12:17 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,192,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Nikki Haley?
Yes, I like her, from what little I've seen she seems level headed, calm, well spoke. I tend to be left of center but she's OK.

Let's start making a list of nominations for next president. First one the list:
Nikki Haley

Let's not make it a Trump or Hillary bashing. I want to hear about the truly honest people only who somehow got into politics and are still honest and not to far left or right who may appeal to a broad range.

Old 10-01-2017, 12:44 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieKarm View Post
Yes. They all are on the take. Which is why the swamp is being drained.
The closest to draining the swamp is Trump's skimming his own scum off the top so far. 10 new hires in only 8 months is quite the record. It's debatable as to how much scum he added to the swamp when he hired them, I guess.

But the voters will decide in the end if the swamp needs draining next year. There' not a lot Trump or anyone else can do about that.

If he really intends to drain the swamp, he'll need to fire most of the guys he hired first. And for everyone who goes, someone else will be needed for replacement. So the swamp's level won't be dropping at all.

Old 10-01-2017, 01:33 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,613,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
Yes, I like her, from what little I've seen she seems level headed, calm, well spoke. I tend to be left of center but she's OK.

Let's start making a list of nominations for next president. First one the list:
Nikki Haley

Let's not make it a Trump or Hillary bashing. I want to hear about the truly honest people only who somehow got into politics and are still honest and not to far left or right who may appeal to a broad range.
It cannot be denied that the most honest presidential candidates in 2016 were Bernie Sanders and John Kasich in their respective parties, and that the candidates who won the nominations of their respective parties were, let's just say, ethically challenged.

On the GOP side in 2016, Rand Paul was (and is) honest, although he left the race early. On the Dem side, Jim Webb was (is) honest although he dropped out early.

Old 10-01-2017, 02:10 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,105,370 times
I think there are some honest politicians. Not the majority, but some. And for some, I just don't know. (No dishonest dealings have come to light, they seem honest, but who knows?) But really, I don't think the American public cares much. We elected a guy who lies so much .... Do your remember the old Neil Young song? "I never saw a man who could tell so many lies. He's got another story for every set of eyes. How does he remember who he's talking to...." I know it was written about Nixon, but it certainly could apply to the current president. Still, people support him and defend him. So I have to assume that honesty is not something they care about. Is it any wonder, then, that politicians aren't honest?

Old 10-01-2017, 05:24 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
You can't be honest in this line of work. Everybody's guy is stretching the truth at some point because you have to appeal to the other side at some point.
That is a bunch of garbage. Of course there are honest politicians. Yes, they have favors they have to pay back, just like private companies, but that doesn't mean they are all dishonest. They usually do have a shock when they reach the state or DC and realize the things they believe in are not as easy to enforce as they had hoped. They realize bills have added pork or added fillers they suddenly can't support so they are between a rock and a hard place. This does not make them dishonest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies