Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2017, 03:11 PM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,069,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I think the point is motive would still made him find a way.
Man you can’t just go around saying that. This isn’t Minority Report.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 03:12 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,239,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
I didn't know screaming was over 140 decibles...

Last I checked a rifle shotgun or pistol report is much louder than screaming unless you have some vocal chords and set of lungs.
99% of people don't associate gun shots with a plea for help. Also flare would be far more useful and would avoid any confusion.

Old 10-02-2017, 03:12 PM

8,204 posts, read 3,477,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Fox News reported that this guy had 2 platforms, multiple guns, cameras set up.
Hotel rooms has Room Service atleast once every day. They did not report any suspicious?
Anyone can refuse room service by putting the do not disturb sign on the door.

Old 10-02-2017, 03:13 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,341,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironplanch View Post
Not necessarily. Sometimes things line up and crap happens. The ammunition he could have had it from before. The room could have been pure chance. Maybe days before he saw such a large crowd days and got inspired. Maybe he was just planning to kill himself or shoot people on the strip and changed plans.

We don't know if he stopped shooting after the police reached his room. Mass shooters sometimes stop when they have realized what they have done is not a video game. Or just a fantasy in their mind. I don't trust reports about police response. We had a lot of inconsistencies with the Orlando Pulse shooting.
Sure. Anything is possible.

But it's doubtful that he would have been able to get that particularly good room for his purposes easily. The festival has been a sell-out for years, and one of the most popular of the festival season. Hotel rooms were scarce; those closest to the festival were very scarce because they were reserved in advance.

Even if a room became suddenly available, finding one that had such a good range of fire wouldn't be likely. That's what started me thinking about it being planned. If his room had been at one end of the hotel, or on a lower floor, (or possibly a higher floor), his field of fire would have been less lethal.

Once I started thinking of what a getting such a good room would entail, the rest began stacking up and began making logical sense to me. And I'm no conspiracy nut. Normally, I would be the last to think it had been planned, but that room was just too perfect a choice for it's purpose. The number of the dead and injured also indicated that he intended to do the maximum amount of damage it was possible for him to do.

If he had been spontaneous, I don't think he would have waited until the moment when the festival was sure to be the most crowded of the 3-day weekend.

The impulsive mass shooters seldom make any preparation to that extent. They just show up and commence. This guy was lurking and ready, and waited patiently for hours. Maybe days. I wouldn't be surprised to learn he was enjoying the show from up there while he was waiting for the final act.

Last edited by banjomike; 10-02-2017 at 03:22 PM..

13,601 posts, read 21,385,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Maybe, maybe not. But using a gun sure made it easy for him, didn't it?
double edged sword, a gun also makes it easier to defend yourself. The question is do we give up rights to hinder criminals or not, which is a slippery slope because we can then talk about how the 1st and 4th amendments protects and inflames criminals and hinders police.

8,224 posts, read 3,493,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
99% of people don't associate gun shots with a plea for help. Also flare would be far more useful and would avoid any confusion.
In a rural area... they do... and if the 99% limp wristed heard it, they'd call the cops which still ends in desired result...

Flares are banned in some states. Especially areal flares.

Old 10-02-2017, 03:14 PM

18,453 posts, read 7,080,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
Please....a semi Auto AR-15's (which can be purchased in almost every state) are not a slight bit less dangerous then a fully auto M4 or M16. It fires as fast as you pull the trigger. My brother was with a Marine Infantry unit in Ramadi in 2006 and never once fired his rifle in full auto. Its a waste of ammo and you can only carry so many rounds. So how is a 5.56 M4 fired in semi-auto any different then a any 5.56 mm AR-15 variant fired in semi-auto?
A semi-auto AR-15 is not an "assault rifle".

"Assault Rifle" has select fire.

A semi auto in stock, legal form is no more "deadly" than dozens of other rifles on the market.

And there is no way the rate of fire on the videos is coming from an unmodified semi-auto.

So it's a moot point anyways.

12,755 posts, read 9,641,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Link please.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...XAt9XJDzwrGKI9

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...zeUMjVv5Q2KYhU

276 posts, read 178,568 times
Quote:
double edged sword, a gun also makes it easier to defend yourself. The question is do we give up rights to hinder criminals or not, which is a slippery slope because we can then talk about how the 1st and 4th amendments protects and inflames criminals and hinders police.
More people in Nice were killed with only a truck.

Old 10-02-2017, 03:15 PM

57,221 posts, read 26,166,435 times
Quote:
The problem with your reply is you emphasize "gun" violence" as being more horrible than some other form of murder.

A society with regard for life can have a gun on every person and no one gets murdered. A society with no regard for life will have murders gun or not and seeing how murders have increased at least sensationalized murders we have a society problem and nothing will change until you address this.

Unfortunately life has always been "cheap" in some parts of the world we are just not use to seeing it happen in our western "civilized" nation the way we are now.

So in other words let's go with status quo rather than take make some changes. Yet another mentally ill man was in possession of multiple deadly firearms, yet the answer is just wait for society to change not the gun culture.

Just heard that at least one of the weapons was an AR15 modified for full automatic, much too easy in our country. But in a country where we have an average of one gun for every many woman and child I would say that is a sign that we treat our guns very foolishly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies