Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2017, 04:22 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,971,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Do you have a scientific article that states that fact, I have seen several machine guns where the barrel is white hot and there was no failure.
Um...maybe I'm crazy but a white hot machine gun barrel is 100% different than an overheated suppressor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 04:24 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,493,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Um...maybe I'm crazy but a white hot machine gun barrel is 100% different than an overheated suppressor.
That one really tries I give them an A for persistence. F on delivery and F on first hand knowledge.

Old 10-03-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Do you have a scientific article that states that fact, I have seen several machine guns where the barrel is white hot and there was no failure. Besides even 40 rounds is sufficient not to mention the fact that he had 20 riles.
And does he have 20 hands to wield 20 rifles? Nooo.... 2...

You really need to stop you're not helping your cause... go to a range pick one up. Then get out of that overtaxed hell hole and move to a free state and build about... 200 AR platform rifles in various calibers various barrel lengths over a course of oh... 10-12 years. Learn about them then come back instead of regurgitating emotional hyperbole. I'm starting to feel sorry you.

Old 10-03-2017, 04:28 PM

1,743 posts, read 990,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I agree with you.

We have to answer for many things we do in life that have far less consequences on others as this issue does. That's why I don't get the pushback on oversight and regulation.
Maybe some of our Founders can help in your understanding?

Quote:
Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe.

Noah Webster
Quote:
What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms.

Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith
Quote:
" ... to disarm the people - that was the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason
Take it from an expert on why governments need to regulate, ban and confiscate arms ...

Quote:
The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms.

History shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing.

Adolph Hitler

To sum it all up ...

A widely reprinted article by Tench Coxe, an ally and correspondent of James Madison, described the Second Amendment's overriding goal as a check upon the national government's standing army:

As civil rulers, not having their duty to the people duly before them, may attempt to tyrannize, and as the military forces which must be occasionally raised to defend our country, might pervert their power to the injury of their fellow citizens, the people are confirmed by the next article in their right to keep and bear their private arms.

Now do you understand?

Old 10-03-2017, 04:30 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,701,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Fully automatic weapons are not "just fine" so its a moot point.

I'll just assume you are all for guilty until proven innocent though since you don't seem to have an answer there.
So requesting an interview to discuss the rationale is "guilty"? Everyone is going to have a different perspective on that. I think it is reasonable for us to have at least had some sort of awareness of this guy considering all he was accumulating.

Old 10-03-2017, 04:31 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,961,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Then the question becomes, at what point does the amount of guns purchased and the amount of ammunition gain a level of scrutiny? Are there no laws on that? Maybe there should be. At what point does the amount of weaponry purchased from a seller become a liability for the seller? Again, that is a reasonable discussion to have considering the number of people murdered and injured in this and other mass shootings. I'm guessing there will be some creative lawyers looking into this now and in the future.
Perhaps but how does one judge?

Consider what I have said before about being a professional shooter where as such a shooter, I am expected not to miss.

In the heyday of the WW III ammo surplus, I was shooting 100 rounds of rifle and 250 rounds of pistol a week. On JROTC rifle team as a teen, years before, we shot 160-200 rounds over 4 days of the school week. Back to being an adult, that comes out to a case of pistol ammo a month and a case of rifle ammo every 2.5 months.

That is the intensity one trains at and as such, to me, to those like me, having that amount of ammo over that time period is not unusual. Now, to the uninformed, however..............

FURTHER, since ammo is not a steady supply item, one buys up and stock piles when they can. Perhaps if it was a steady supply, a steady cost item, one would not have to but the reality of things just don't seem to support that, for one reason or another.

Old 10-03-2017, 04:31 PM

20,863 posts, read 9,515,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
You really think a guy walked in with 23 guns out in the open?
You lack imagination. Who says he had to bring them all in at once? Five or seven trips in and out over the course of a day or two, could probably fit 3 or 5 in a large suitcase at once, and it would look rather routine.

Old 10-03-2017, 04:32 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,287,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claymoore View Post
Maybe some of our Founders can help in your understanding?

Take it from an expert on why governments need to regulate, ban and confiscate arms ...

To sum it all up ...

A widely reprinted article by Tench Coxe, an ally and correspondent of James Madison, described the Second Amendment's overriding goal as a check upon the national government's standing army:

As civil rulers, not having their duty to the people duly before them, may attempt to tyrannize, and as the military forces which must be occasionally raised to defend our country, might pervert their power to the injury of their fellow citizens, the people are confirmed by the next article in their right to keep and bear their private arms.

Now do you understand?
I understand what you are saying. But I disagree with you because of two things:

1. The world was much different when that amendment was written. Now, please understand I am NOT for banning guns. Let me repeat: I am NOT in favor of banning guns. However, in 1966 Whitman killed and injured approximately 50 people in 96 minutes. In a third of that time, on Sunday, Paddock killed and injured 587 people. This is why we need to revisit our laws on gun ownership.

2. Having 8,457 guns is not going to do anything in the face of a government hell bent on enslaving their citizens. Our governments have access to weapons much more efficient and powerful than all the guns put together by every gun owner legal and illegal in America. I find the 2nd amendment to be noble in its intent, but failing in its delivery in 2017.

Old 10-03-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Perhaps but how does one judge?

Consider what I have said before about being a professional shooter where as such a shooter, I am expected not to miss.

In the heyday of the WW III ammo surplus, I was shooting 100 rounds of rifle and 250 rounds of pistol a week. On JROTC rifle team as a teen, years before, we shot 160-200 rounds over 4 days of the school week. Back to being an adult, that comes out to a case of pistol ammo a month and a case of rifle ammo every 2.5 months.

That is the intensity one trains at and as such, to me, to those like me, having that amount of ammo over that time period is not unusual. Now, to the uninformed, however..............

FURTHER, since ammo is not a steady supply item, one buys up and stock piles when they can. Perhaps if it was a steady supply, a steady cost item, one would not have to but the reality of things just don't seem to support that, for one reason or another.
Last month alone I went through 10k rounds.
Guess that labels me as a domestic terrorist.

Old 10-03-2017, 04:35 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,971,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
So requesting an interview to discuss the rationale is "guilty"? Everyone is going to have a different perspective on that. I think it is reasonable for us to have at least had some sort of awareness of this guy considering all he was accumulating.
Yes, because you are saying "we believe you intend to comit a crime" simply because of an arbitrary number of guns someone owns.

Does someone get Miranda rights in your presumption? Do they get the right to a lawyer? Now buying several guns also means you need funds to hire a lawyer to be with you when the police question you?

Its an absurd idea that flies in the face of our nations core beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies