Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2017, 11:52 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,713,615 times

Advertisements

We learn the shooter booked 2 rooms at the Blackstone Hotel during the August multi day Lollapalooza event and specifically requested rooms with a view of the park- event location.

This open air event attracts 100,000 each day. The hotel is about the same distance as the Mandalay was to the event in Las Vegas.

The Blackstone has 21 floors and about 300 guest rooms. It also has a sniper's nest on the rooftop that is used for the many events held in the park across the street. imagine attempting to execute the plan this shooter had when sniper guards are positioned right above your room. Then there was the logistics of getting all his stuff to Chicago, the hotel and then to his rooms. Might have raised more red flags than in Las Vegas.

The guy had a goal and appears to have been a careful planner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 11:54 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,612,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
We learn the shooter booked 2 rooms at the Blackstone Hotel during the August multi day Lollapalooza event and specifically requested rooms with a view of the park- event location.

This open air event attracts 100,000 each day. The hotel is about the same distance as the Mandalay was to the event in Las Vegas.

The Blackstone has 21 floors and about 300 guest rooms. It also has a sniper's nest on the rooftop that is used for the many events held in the park across the street. imagine attempting to execute the plan this shooter had when sniper guards are positioned right above your room. Then there was the logistics of getting all his stuff to Chicago, the hotel and then to his rooms. Might have raised more red flags than in Las Vegas.

The guy had a goal and appears to have been a careful planner.
That is a chilling scenario. He did massive damage in Vegas. He could have done worse in Chicago.

Old 10-05-2017, 11:56 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,309,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
IF he did shoot himself in the head, I hope his brain is intact so that autopsy might shed some light on his brain and if he had a brain tumor, etc.
I'd rather they look into his relationship or lack there of with his father (and mother and sibling/s). You can't tell me that having a father who was on the Most Wanted list doesn't effect how you develop your personality and your ability to empathize with others. Even if he had limited contact. This really hasn't been explored yet. And I'm not buying the girlfriend's story.

Last edited by Wayland Woman; 10-05-2017 at 01:15 PM..

Old 10-05-2017, 12:02 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinet View Post
Anyone else find it odd that there's already pictures going around of the shooter dead? How and why was this leaked so fast?
As graphic as it is I think this should be the only photo of this p.o.s going around, but it just seems odd that it got out so fast.
If it was fast enough then the leaker doesn't have to worry about losing his pension

Old 10-05-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
That is a chilling scenario. He did massive damage in Vegas. He could have done worse in Chicago.
100,000 sitting ducks

It does not take much time/ effort to learn that events like Lola have snipers positioned on buildings across from the park. Guessing the percieved risks were always that something could erupt within the park- not from a hotel across from the park.

Killer did his homework.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:04 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,018,908 times
I hope that hearing that he was looking at Lollapalooza makes people see that it wasn't an attack on conservatives. There goes that argument.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
If it was fast enough then the leaker doesn't have to worry about losing his pension
Some media will pay $$$ for pictures.

Anyone with access to the pictures could have leaked.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:07 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,612,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
I hope that hearing that he was looking at Lollapalooza makes people see that it wasn't an attack on conservatives. There goes that argument.
Conservatives don't attend Lollapalooza?

I don't believe his motives were political. I hope they find a motive.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:10 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,018,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I'd rather they look into his relationship or lack there of with his father (and mother and sibling/s). You can't tell me that having a father who was on the Most Wanted list doesn't effect how you develop your personality and your ability to empathize with others. Even if he had limited contact which really hasn't been explored yet. And I'm not buying the girlfriend's story.
I wouldn't put much stock in the father. This country is FULL of people who have criminal parents and they aren't doing crazy things. Charles Manson has kids.

So far, I believe the gf. There's plenty of people who don't pay attention to what their SO does. They aren't curious, nosy, etc. plus, she's only known him a few years. Look at the parents of killers, they never knew. On a smaller scale, look at spouses who are living double lives. It's not hard to keep people in the dark.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
He also booked multiple adjacent condos at the Ogden overlooking a different event in Las Vegas, with a larger audience than the one he eventually executed at.

Appears his goal was to hit as many sitting ducks as possible in the shortest period of time with the least risk of being prematurely detected/ stopped.

Looks like the type of music did not matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies