Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2017, 10:01 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,494,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
This event isn't stopping my wife and I from taking a class on firearms so we can buy one. Yes, the guy had an arsenal in his room but this shouldn't be the poster event to ban guns. This should be the poster event to widen the discussion on mental illness.
Good for you! welcome to the club!

Message me if you have any questions, I'd be glad to help you make your selection for you and your wife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 10:02 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
>>>>> Well, they got their stories straight and now they have a chance to sell the official narrative to the great disinformed masses courtesy of Ellen. Maybe when Harvey is cured of being a sexual predator he can go on and start a campaign against sexual predation.
I'm going to retire to bedlam.
The original timeline reported that the security guard had been shot at 9:59, 6 minutes before the exterior shooting began. it was later determined that a human wrote down 9:59 on a paper log and was mistaken about the time. Maybe his watch was slow. Maybe the clock in his office was off. Or maybe there's an intent to absolve Mandalay/ MGM for a delayed response.

Regardless, it would have been impossible for LE in less than 6 minutes, to prevent the external shooting which began at 10:05. That would not however prevent litigating otherwise.

As it was, the ad hoc swat team thought the suite had been booby trapped given visible wires between the room service cart and the suite. For all they knew, the entire wing could have blown.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:26 AM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
I tell it like it is. Look at the post I made back adressing middle aged mom post regarding what a profiler had claimed...
The profilers words per her article were...

If stupid hurt, this guy would be on a morphine IV drip!

And she herself admitted to not knowing anything about physics or ballistics, which further proved my point for me.

Read that profiler's words.

Old myth of the tumbling 223 round not designed to go straight through a person.

Followed with contradicting words of many of the wounded were hit by a round that wounded or killed others.

He contradicted himself and convinced those who don't know, to believe that nonsense.

When the M16 was initially implemented the twist rate was what 1:12 or 1:14? It caused projectiles to destabilize due to weight. It wasn't designed to tumble. The tumbling known as "key holing" is due to an unstable projectile. This happens with smooth bores "shot out" barrels. Since it's inception in 1963, the barrels twist rates have been developed conducive to support flight of a 45-80 grain projectile.

I go further on using mathematics to calculate using the ballistics of the common 223 commercial offerings, did a base line average amongst the ballistics of a far more aerodynamic projectile (Full Metal Jacket Boat Tail) the average density of a human body, and proved if paddock shot at just 400 yards, the projectile would have an average of 4 inches worth of penetration.

If you believe what the handler stated, then you are believing there was a shooter closer to the crowd as bullets do not accelerate in flight. I could have made the calculations more precise but I'd have been at it crunching numbers much later on.

I'm not one to declare Fake News But I do have a problem with misinformation and fear mongering. Especially to push an agenda.
^ I'm a reloader. Just about any gun can be made to shoot bullets too long to stabilize properly in a factory twist barrel. Plus, if an object is tumbling it's going to be very inaccurate. As in curve balls.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:30 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
This event isn't stopping my wife and I from taking a class on firearms so we can buy one. Yes, the guy had an arsenal in his room but this shouldn't be the poster event to ban guns. This should be the poster event to widen the discussion on mental illness.
Mental health?

Japan has the strictest gun laws and fewest gun homicides.

Only fires arms that are legal to own are shot guns and air rifles. To acquire and continue to own, one must prove their mental fitness to do so.

Nothing known to date suggests Paddock would not have been able to prove he was mentally fit to acquire/ own a firearm in Japan. He had no criminal record. Nothing has surfaced that he affiliated with criminals or extremists.

The diff is that Paddock was able to legally buy, own and carry an unlimited number of firearms and ammunition and the types of firearms and accessories. It would not have been possible he could have executed the plan he did on 10/1 at the Mandalay, in an equivelent venue in Japan.

https://www.theatlantic.com/internat...deaths/260189/

This horse has long left the barn in the US. The NRA is a powerful lobby. Spectacular mass shootings are good for business. It has become the way we roll.

Here's another compare/ contrast piece between the US and Japan's gun culture. Note the NRA is alive and well in Japan although it serves a. Rey different purpose.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.39f2acd03ae8

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 10-18-2017 at 10:40 AM..

Old 10-18-2017, 10:38 AM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Again, does anyone think this kook wouldn't have done this shooting if he couldn't legally purchase a firearm?

Old 10-18-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
^ I'm a reloader. Just about any gun can be made to shoot bullets too long to stabilize properly in a factory twist barrel. Plus, if an object is tumbling it's going to be very inaccurate. As in curve balls.
Same here.

Both inaccurate and lower velocity as the aerodynamics of the projectile go from (you and I know this others don't comprehend it) that of a football being tossed with a perfect spiral, to tumbling around flailing losing velocity rapidly as the round is flying through the air having air act upon the broad sides of the round as it tumbles. And that's not taking gravity and wind humidity ambient air temperature etc into account either.

You and I know we can take a 223 hull and get a 85gr projectile from Hornady or Sierra and load it accordingly. We also know we would have to modify our magazines for them to fit, based on seating depth, and possibly modify feed ramps/chamber. As well as barrel twist rate. For if we were to use the wrong twist rate, what would happen? That 85gr long bearing surface of the projectile would not be stabilised properly.

6.5 Creedmoor perfect example of it. Long bearing surface making contact with the rifling and therefor the twist rates are made accordingly, otherwise it won't go to 1200 yards. Maybe 200 flipping about...

But alas... someone declares the round was designed to tumble then follows up with more stupid and contradicts them self; in saying the round that has been slowed down significantly by tumbling penetrated multiple bodies

It's easy to comprehend why so many are fearful when misinformation and lies are spread.

To go back on topic. If you believe what the profiler had stated, you believe there was a shooter closer to the crowd, as projectiles do not speed up in velocity, nor do they gain mass, or kinetic energy to be able to penetrate multiple bodies in a row at 400 or 500 yards.
Grazing wounds are one thing, to legitimately lie and declare the round both tumbles (losing velocity fast) and somehow picks up speed during flight, to penetrate multiple bodies is not only stupid, but physically, mathematically, legitimately impossible.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:53 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Again, does anyone think this kook wouldn't have done this shooting if he couldn't legally purchase a firearm?
There are questions of degree, you know? That he was able to get off 10 volleys of rapid fire...that he had access to that many guns and that much ammo and accessories...I mean, I know the NRA and all of your gun worshipper web sites teach you to just regurgitate these answers to everything. The simple answer is, no, he would not have been able to pull this shooting off if the guns he had weren't legal. Not this shooting, not this many people dead. Yeah, I know, instead he would have bought a truck, put thousands of pounds of explosives in it and driven it into the venue. A farcical and stupid comparison that gun nuts try to constantly make. The type of nonsense that has so many holes in it they should be embarrassed, but overgrown children with their toys don't spend a lot of time transcending their own fetishes.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Mental health?

Japan has the strictest gun laws and fewest gun homicides.

Only fires arms that are legal to own are shot guns and air rifles. To acquire and continue to own, one must prove their mental fitness to do so.

Nothing known to date suggests Paddock would not have been able to prove he was mentally fit to acquire/ own a firearm in Japan. He had no criminal record. Nothing has surfaced that he affiliated with criminals or extremists.

The diff is that Paddock was able to legally buy, own and carry an unlimited number of firearms and ammunition and the types of firearms and accessories. It would not have been possible he could have executed the plan he did on 10/1 at the Mandalay, in an equivelent venue in Japan.

https://www.theatlantic.com/internat...deaths/260189/

This horse has long left the barn in the US. The NRA is a powerful lobby. Spectacular mass shootings are good for business. It has become the way we roll.

Here's another compare/ contrast piece between the US and Japan's gun culture. Note the NRA is alive and well in Japan although it serves a. Rey different purpose.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.39f2acd03ae8
This coming from the person who believes a blatant lie from a "career criminal profiler" and can not differentiate law abiding and shooting sports enthusiasts from scumbags...

On behalf of all law abiding firearm owners and shooting sports enthusiasts who do not commit crimes or Comission the use of our firearms in criminal enterprise...
If you adore Japan and every other country, please pick a city. We will gladly buy your tickets and pay your moving fees.

Mathematically, if we all sacrificed one weekend at the range per month, added the money up, we could buy you your utpoia in a country you adore.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
There are questions of degree, you know? That he was able to get off 10 volleys of rapid fire...that he had access to that many guns and that much ammo and accessories...I mean, I know the NRA and all of your gun worshipper web sites teach you to just regurgitate these answers to everything. The simple answer is, no, he would not have been able to pull this shooting off if the guns he had weren't legal. Not this shooting, not this many people dead. Yeah, I know, instead he would have bought a truck, put thousands of pounds of explosives in it and driven it into the venue. A farcical and stupid comparison that gun nuts try to constantly make. The type of nonsense that has so many holes in it they should be embarrassed, but overgrown children with their toys don't spend a lot of time transcending their own fetishes.
Because the black market won't sell illegal weapons...
Guess you didn't read a history book pertaining to prohibition...

You only test the ingenuity and create more demand when you seek to ban.

Only overgrown children are those who want (big government) an adult in the room to hold their hand because the media declared there is a boogey man...

Never let a tragedy go to waste. We can make new laws... and tougher regulations. Heck may even spawn a new tax funded bureaucracy out of it!

Old 10-18-2017, 11:02 AM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
Jeez guys this isn't that hard to understand. Of course this clown was still going to kill people, without the equipment he had purchased legally he would would have found a way to use other equipment and still killed. However the fact that he was able to purchase so many semi-automatic weapons so easily, then make them pretty close to an automatic weapons with the legal purchase of bump stocks, is why so many more people died and were seriously injured. We all heard the audio, it sounded like he had machine guns as he slaughtered innocents. Take away that ability to walk into a gun store and buy this stuff so easily and he kills far less people and a few mothers do not lose their children.

If my child was one of those slaughtered I'd be pretty disgusted with your selfish attitudes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies