Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 12:49 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,275,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I am still not understanding, based upon the level of animus for liberalism. Give me some examples of how YOUR quality of life or opportunities would be reduced.
No, YOU give all your specific policy prescriptions and your full vision of what this "full liberalism" means in law, politics, culture, liberty, control, and society, and I'll give my reaction to that. Otherwise this is just semantics, baiting, and trolling. I already responded above (post # 12) but this vagueness is trite. What do you MEAN?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 12:59 PM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
oh gee, life isnt fair, poor baby. do you need to go to your safe space? sorry i dont have any crayons for you, i dont use them.

you seem to hate people so much it affects you mentally. you need to stop with the hate and anger in your life.
Funny.

Old 10-02-2017, 01:01 PM

10,456 posts, read 4,038,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Do you actually think giving poor people money will get them out of poverty?

According to this liberal website, 70% of lottery winners end up in worse financial shape than before winning.

https://thinkprogress.org/powerball-...-e1a6c1e151ab/

People who had their money taken will have less money, and most of the poor would remain poor. That would be the result.
This. It mostly comes down to that they don't know how to manage money.

Old 10-02-2017, 01:06 PM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Do you actually think giving poor people money will get them out of poverty?

According to this liberal website, 70% of lottery winners end up in worse financial shape than before winning.

https://thinkprogress.org/powerball-...-e1a6c1e151ab/

People who had their money taken will have less money, and most of the poor would remain poor. That would be the result.
I'm not suggesting that the working poor should be given a check. I'm suggesting that they shouldn't need to live under the constant threat of bankruptcy due to illness. Decent health insurance coverage costs as much as rent these days.

The working poor work harder than anyone else. They often work two crappy jobs just to put a roof over their heads and food on the table. Many of those jobs are dirty, physically demanding, and dangerous. It's very telling that a certain segment of American society thinks that the working poor are lazy and deserve to suffer.

Old 10-02-2017, 01:18 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I'm not suggesting that the working poor should be given a check. I'm suggesting that they shouldn't need to live under the constant threat of bankruptcy due to illness. Decent health insurance coverage costs as much as rent these days.

The working poor work harder than anyone else. They often work two crappy jobs just to put a roof over their heads and food on the table. Many of those jobs are dirty, physically demanding, and dangerous. It's very telling that a certain segment of American society thinks that the working poor are lazy and deserve to suffer.
Nice pity party. Did people bring gifts?

If you had to guess, you what percentage of the poor or dropouts?

There are lots of reasons for poverty, and a very large number of them come down to poor decision making.

Old 10-02-2017, 01:22 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,940,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Like the title says "How would liberalism hurt you"? Why do you despise it so much? What would be the cost to your quality of life....if any? If it does not and will not hurt you....why are you so against it?
To a conservative feeling like they can keep a few more dollars in there paycheck is more important than good roads schools or universal healthcare. They are consumed by greed.

Old 10-02-2017, 01:23 PM

1,251 posts, read 1,077,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Really? $15/hr (two minimum wage jobs with no benefits) won't go very far.

It's clear that you have an incredibly naive view of the world. The universe is actually pretty cruel and random.

Maybe one day you will come down with some kind of mental or physical illness that lands you on disability. And then maybe your disability and Medicaid will be cut by a conservative politician that you helped elect. Once you've quickly burned through all of your savings on outrageous medical bills from our for-profit healthcare system, you'll be homeless begging for change. You'll be one of those people you look now down on.

Karma is a b--ch.
No, sorry, but I have taken care of my future needs. My husband and I came from nothing and made a different life.
Naive view of the world? That made me laugh. I worked my tail off in high school and got nearly a free ride to college. My husband DID get a free ride from his academic abilities.
We didn't want to sit around moaning, whining, and blaming the world. It feels AMAZING to know what we have came from us...not inheritances and not welfare hand-outs.
You sound bitter, just like my parents. Think if you spent that time improving your life! Minimum wage jobs are for teenagers. If that's all you qualify for, it's on you, Freak.

Old 10-02-2017, 01:36 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
No, YOU give all your specific policy prescriptions and your full vision of what this "full liberalism" means in law, politics, culture, liberty, control, and society, and I'll give my reaction to that. Otherwise this is just semantics, baiting, and trolling. I already responded above (post # 12) but this vagueness is trite. What do you MEAN?
Why do I have to give that? What is your CURRENT beef with liberalism then? How is it hurting YOU? Are you all really being HURT....or just intolerant of seeing other people getting something with the help of government? I mean....you have the freedom to get government assistance as well, if you were in their situation.

Essentially what I am getting is that liberalism only hurts conservatives in that it makes conservative MAD that others are getting something (help from the government) that they themselves have chosen to forgo or not in a position to get.

Old 10-02-2017, 01:56 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,034,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post

To a conservative feeling like they can keep a few more dollars in there paycheck is more important than good roads schools or universal healthcare. They are consumed by greed.
It appears that you are complaining because you can't have the things you want paid for by others.

Which is merely another variety of greed, I'm certain we can both agree.

Your particular mental affliction, however, appears to border on rank avarice, as you apparently long for an all-powerful central government that can shower you with booty rapaciously extracted by force from others.

To this observer, your mindset certainly appears to be that characteristic of a greedy person. One is left to wonder how you cannot see this character defect in yourself, even as you point your finger at others.

Old 10-02-2017, 01:58 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times
It would bankrupt the country
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies