Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2017, 07:03 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Which gun show? I bought most of my guns at gun shows. Every time I had to go through background checks.

By the way, not too many things are more stupid than background checks, seriously. If someone is so dangerous that he can’t even own a gun, why the hell do we let him roam the streets????
^

This.

Won't let me rep you again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 07:05 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I'm reminded of that all the time when Americans, particularly those on the left, REFUSE to be taxed regressively like Scandinavia and Europe, but still insist they want the social program perks those regressive taxes are needed to fund. Selfish greed is all it is.
I am pretty sure that most Americans who understand what freedom means, do not want regressive taxes and do not want European style social programs. The American ethic and Capitalism place most emphasis on the individual, not the collective, and that is why we are better than the rest of the world. Rational self-interest and selfishness are the core values that create excellence and advancement. Collectivists hate that, because the motivation of collectivists is envy.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:07 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
You can buy these AR type rifles legally, everyday if you pass a background check. And convert it to do this LEGALLY, with just adding a simple rear stock. Years ago I owned plenty of AR type rifles. Wanting to legally convert one to full auto, but with the procedure and cost, I decided not to. But now with a simple rear bump stock added, it functions almost like a full auto. I have drifted away from guns like this. At the time it was something to do, targets and things. But to be able to own a gun, legally, that can fire like this, is just wrong. This should NOT be legal. The purchased part, comes with a certificate from the ATF stating that it is legal.
I have not added a link here, But type in " Bump stock fire" on you tube and decide for yourself. Its just nuts that this is legal.

"Bump firing" is a technique that entails letting the recoil of the gun move it back and forth while holding your trigger finger still

A "bump stock" makes it somewhat easier to do this but it's not actually necessary.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:07 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
I believe firmly that the OP titled this thread wrong....

It shouldn't be, "America's Unique Gun Violence"

It should rather be, "American's unique "MENTAL HEALTH VIOLENCE/ISSUES"

Old 10-04-2017, 07:08 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,729,135 times
You cannot legislate human behavior. A gun is just a tool.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:09 AM

89,018 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
I am pretty sure that most Americans who understand what freedom means, do not want regressive taxes and do not want European style social programs. The American ethic and Capitalism place most emphasis on the individual, not the collective, and that is why we are better than the rest of the world.
Well... the left is always whining about wanting national health care. They just don't want to tax the way it needs to be done to fund it: regressive taxation.

Quote:
Rational self-interest and selfishness are the core values that create excellence and advancement. Collectivists hate that, because the motivation of collectivists is envy.
Not just envy, they want someone else to blame when they themselves irretrievably f* up their own lives.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:09 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
What has the fact that 'other things' cause death got to do with it???? Are you suggesting the thousands of Americans killed by guns don't count because there are 'other' ways to die! WOW! Also the answer is 'higher' than ALL the other developed nations combined, not just a 'bit' higher but by a MASSIVE amount. I can't believe you still haven't even got your head around this basic FACT, how on earth are you going to try and solve a problem if you are simply burying your head in the sand about the problem. Are you seriously suggesting that the thousands of Americans that die from guns each year is not worth worrying about because people also die in car accidents! Unbelievable.
There will always be the occasional massacre in a country of 300+ million. That is an immutable fact of reality. But the freedom to bear arms is more important than that, and must be preserved even if we have 2-5 massacres per year every year forever. Changing gun laws will not change the occasional insane person going off the deep end. It will only change their method of killing.

There is no solution or way to prevent occasional madness. Kill the perp, mourn the dead, move on. Meanwhile, the right to bear arms is a primary and an absolute. It must not be curtailed due to the occasional mad hatter.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:11 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
I am pretty sure that most Americans who understand what freedom means, do not want regressive taxes and do not want European style social programs. The American ethic and Capitalism place most emphasis on the individual, not the collective, and that is why we are better than the rest of the world. Rational self-interest and selfishness are the core values that create excellence and advancement. Collectivists hate that, because the motivation of collectivists is envy.
Don't be silly, Americans are not 'better' and they are not 'worse' than the rest of the world, the Nazis were the last people to believe they were 'better' just because of their nationality and history shows that this was obviously not the case.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:13 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
There will always be the occasional massacre in a country of 300+ million. That is an immutable fact of reality. But the freedom to bear arms is more important than that, and must be preserved even if we have 2-5 massacres per year every year forever. Changing gun laws will not change the occasional insane person going off the deep end. It will only change their method of killing.

There is no solution or way to prevent occasional madness. Kill the perp, mourn the dead, move on. Meanwhile, the right to bear arms is a primary and an absolute. It must not be curtailed due to the occasional mad hatter.
Ah that's OK then , somebody needs to tell the family members and hundreds of people affected by this latest atrocity, I'm sure they will feel much better about it now.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:15 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Can you give me an example of how violent the US Gov't is towards Americans?
How about the Branch Dividians in Waco? It's rare but not unheard of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies