Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2017, 08:14 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
No they are not, if you have stats to prove this frankly ridiculous claim I would like to see them.
as I said, stats mean nothing, unless your the one who put out the stats pushing an agenda.....such as yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Well it worked in Australia, what I believe is you have to at least try and do something because quite frankly the attitude of 'doing nothing' isn't working.
so what your talking about by stating, you have to at least try something, is a quick fix....then another mass murderer performs another tragic event, so you impose more gun laws, and more and more, until you completely whittle away guns, and guess what, some guy makes a home made bomb, and drives it into a building and kills 70 people, now what do you do?

Logical thinking recognizes, the fact that it takes a long time, to change problems that occur in society.
It also takes a collective movement and generations.

You cannot force the mentally ill to think like we do...it won't happen...so what do you do?

There is something happening in America, it is an extremely violent movement that stems from hate....
where is hate learned...where is anything learned, like bullies...."IN THE HOME"

Watch the news feeds, read them, and see how much hate is out there, and then ask yourself...
1. My God, why and how do grown adults talk like that?
2. Are they raising Children?
3. Those children are going to grow up with that hate inside of them...
4. How are we turning out so much hate and violence within our cultures, within our children...
that they would pick up a gun and kill people.

That is where the problem lies, and darlin, it ain't no quick fix, by taking something away....society has to be a community effort....of morals, logic, common sense and awareness, which people are losing today.

any police officer will tell you, "There are a whole lot of sick people out there" And it's true....and people better damn well conform to that notion....

Old 10-04-2017, 08:25 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
so what your talking about by stating, you have to at least try something, is a quick fix....then another mass murderer performs another tragic event, so you impose more gun laws, and more and more, until you completely whittle away guns, and guess what, some guy makes a home made bomb, and drives it into a building and kills 70 people, now what do you do?

Logical thinking recognizes, the fact that it takes a long time, to change problems that occur in society.
It also takes a collective movement and generations.

You cannot force the mentally ill to think like we do...it won't happen...so what do you do?

There is something happening in America, it is an extremely violent movement that stems from hate....
where is hate learned...where is anything learned, like bullies...."IN THE HOME"

Watch the news feeds, read them, and see how much hate is out there, and then ask yourself...
1. My God, why and how do grown adults talk like that?
2. Are they raising Children?
3. Those children are going to grow up with that hate inside of them...
4. How are we turning out so much hate and violence within our cultures, within our children...
that they would pick up a gun and kill people.

That is where the problem lies, and darlin, it ain't no quick fix, by taking something away....society has to be a community effort....of morals, logic, common sense and awareness, which people are losing today.

any police officer will tell you, "There are a whole lot of sick people out there" And it's true....and people better damn well conform to that notion....

There are a whole lot of sick people in every country, unless we are to believe that Americans are somehow just 'more violent or more sick'? The simple fact is countries with 'tighter' gun controls have less people shot to death, you are never going to stop people killing each other, you will never stop gun murder but you can certainly save lives. There are about 50 to 60 people killed by firearms in the UK every year, there are thousands of Americans and even given the difference in population that is a frightening statistic:

The gun homicide rate in England and Wales is about one for every 1 million people, according to the Geneva Declaration of Armed Violence and Development, a multinational organization based in Switzerland.
In a population of 56 million, that adds up to about 50 to 60 gun killings annually. In the USA, by contrast, there are about 160 times as many gun homicides in a country that is roughly six times larger in population. There were 8,124 gun homicides in 2014, according to the latest FBI figures.

I know its not easy but surely doing nothing shouldn't be an option.

Old 10-04-2017, 08:29 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,354,336 times
Quote:
It takes into account the population, try reading it:-

Even though it has half the population of the other 22 nations combined, the United States accounted for 82 percent of all gun deaths. The United States also accounted for 90 percent of all women killed by guns, the study found. Ninety-one percent of children under 14 who died by gun violence were in the United States. And 92 percent of young people between ages 15 and 24 killed by guns were in the United States, the study found.

This is shameful, pretending you don't have a 'problem' is shameful.
Seems like you've got your own problems in the peaceful UK, and this is only from 2013 on.
Quote:
2013, 29 April to 12 July: Pavlo Lapshyn attacks. Lapshyn, a Ukrainian student and right-wing extremist, stabbed Mohammed Saleem, a Birmingham resident to death on 29 April. He later admitted to police that he wished to start a "race war". Lapshyn later detonated a home-made bomb outside a mosque in Walsall on 21 June. 150 homes were evacuated but no person was injured. On 28 June Lapshyn detonated a second home-made bomb near a mosque in Wolverhampton, and attacked a mosque in Tipton with an improvised explosive device containing nails on 12 July. Friday prayers were delayed that day, and so his intended victims were still inside. Laphsyn was later sentenced to serve a minimum of 40 years.

2013, 22 May: A British soldier, Lee Rigby, was murdered and decapitated in an attack in Woolwich by Michael Adebolajo and Michael Adebowale, two Islamist extremists armed with a handgun and a number of bladed implements including a cleaver. Both men were sentenced to life imprisonment, with Adebolajo given a whole life order and Adebowale ordered to serve at least 45 years.

2015, 5 December: A man with a knife attacked three people at Leytonstone Tube Station in East London. The attacker was 29-year old Muhaydin Mire who was shouting "this is for Syria". The attacker was found guilty of attempted murder in June 2016. Three people were injured in the attack and one was seriously injured.

2016, 16 June. Labour MP Jo Cox, aged 41, was killed by Thomas Mair, according to testimony given in court. Cox was fatally shot and stabbed outside the library in Birstall, West Yorkshire, where she was about to hold a constituency surgery at 1:00 pm. A 77-year-old local man, Bernard Kenny, was stabbed in the stomach while trying to fend off her attacker. The Crown Prosecution Service described it as an act of terror. The judge, in his sentencing remarks, said that Mair's violence was politically-motivated. Neo-nazi group National Action had adopted a slogan used by Mair, "death to traitors, freedom for Britain" and were subsequently proscribed following the attack.[56]

2017, 22 March: 2017 Westminster attack – Khalid Masood, a 52-year-old British man, born in Kent as Adrian Elms, drove a car into pedestrians on Westminster Bridge, before crashing the vehicle into the Palace of Westminster's perimeter. He then entered the grounds of the Palace of Westminster, the meeting place of the Houses of Parliament, before being confronted by a police officer, whom he fatally stabbed before being shot himself. Six, including the perpetrator and the officer, were killed in the incident, and 49 people were injured. The attack is being treated as an act of terrorism motivated by Islamic extremism.

2017, 22 May: 2017 Manchester Arena bombing – A large explosion caused by Salmen Abedi, a British suicide attacker with a bomb at the Manchester Arena, Manchester, killing 22 individuals and injuring 250. The attack occurred shortly after an Ariana Grande concert had concluded, and is the most deadly terror related incident in the United Kingdom since the 7/7 London bombings in 2005.

2017, 3 June: June 2017 London attack. 8 people were confirmed dead and at least 48 injured, some critically. A white van drove at high speed across London Bridge, running into groups of people, then crashed. The occupants then ran to nearby Borough Market, where they stabbed many people. All three of the terrorists involved were shot dead by police eight minutes after the incident was reported. All three were wearing imitation suicide bomb vests.

2017, 19 June: A van was driven into people walking near Finsbury Park Mosque in London after tarawih prayers. 10 people were injured, and one person was killed, though it was initially unclear whether this was the result of a previous medical condition. The police declared the incident a terrorist attack.

2017, 15 September: A London tube train was targeted, witnesses reported a flash and bang. No fatalities were reported, however 30 people were injured, mostly with Flash burns and Crush injuries. The threat level was raised to his highest point of critical soon after.---wikiepedia
Shameful, I say. Shameful.

Old 10-04-2017, 08:32 AM

89,018 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
As I said initially statistics suggest otherwise.
You realize that Blacks, by far, are the most numerous perpetrators of US gun violence even though Whites have a higher gun ownership rate, no? I posted links to the stats in an earlier post. Should the US ban Blacks to significantly reduce the gun violence problem? Why or why not?

Old 10-04-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Seems like you've got your own problems in the peaceful UK, and this is only from 2013 on.

Shameful, I say. Shameful.
I never said the UK was peaceful but you can take every terrorist act committed in the UK over the last 25 years and it still wouldn't amount to as much death as guns cause in one year in the US. I'm not stupid enough to believe that gun deaths will disappear if you tighten gun laws but it would certainly drop, and surely saving lives makes it worth it? Or do you disagree?

Old 10-04-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You realize that Blacks, by far, are the most numerous perpetrators of US gun violence even though Whites have a higher gun ownership rate, no? I posted links to the stats in an earlier post. Should the US ban Blacks to significantly reduce the gun violence problem? Why or why not?
I'm not sure what a persons colour has to do with anything? Besides take just white gun crime and it is still massively higher.

Old 10-04-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
there is a much deeper rooted problem than anyone wants to address, be it lack of common sense, or awareness, but the problem exists and it's getting worse and worse, with each generation.

this didn't just start now, this has been going on since way back in history. I say, any human being, who wants to hurt or murder another human being is mentally ill....

so how did we get here? That is the question we should be asking....not making more gun laws....

there will never be an end to gun laws, each time another mass murder happens....
and if the poster is right, than what is going on in other countries, that isn't going on here?

Less people in other countries?

Better morals
Stricter parents....
parents that are morally balances and responsible?
Parents that are not into heavy drugs or alcohol?

I've seen people say, we have to pray....I'm not against religion at all, but we have to do more than pray.
God gives us the ability to think, to problem solve, is that what we are losing.

I think it's a whole combination of things....

it isn't about the guns at all.....

What made that lunatic decide to pick up a gun and shoot to kill, when you and I would never think of doing it.?

What makes johnny in school bully a girl and want to hurt her b/c of her beliefs...or b/c she isn't in the in crowd?

What is going on in America?

Old 10-04-2017, 08:40 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,563,286 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what a persons colour has to do with anything? Besides take just white gun crime and it is still massively higher.
Actually if you look that up "black gun crime" vs. "white gun crime", black gun crime is significantly higher across the board in the US.

Old 10-04-2017, 08:41 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,497,598 times
I'll propose this.

I'll go for a psyche evaluation when my concealed carry permit is up for renewal.
I'll submit finger prints.
I'll submit blood.
I'll submit hair.
I will submit proof of proper storage.

In exchange
No limitations on magazine capacity
No limitations on ammo purchases, caliber, type, and quantity.
Suppressors deregulated to being no different than a sling, bipod, scope or other firearm accessory.
Machine guns whether belt or magazine fed open to be as available as a regular pistol rifle or shotgun. No NFA stamp. No ridiculous wait times...

I'm not budging an inch because anti gunners take more than a mile. I will not be punished for the actions of 1 or few. If I'm to be subjected to psychological analysis at my expense and verified to be safe and sound with no intent to purposely carry out ill will on fellow human beings, then it is fair to expect something in exchange.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies