Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2017, 03:53 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times

Advertisements

Rinse and repeat.

This thread is exactly the same as every other thread after a mass shooting. Nothing will change. Even if laws change in the US, I agree with the notion that it's too late. Way too late for the US. You've left this too long. It is the new normal, and it pains me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 03:55 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Always been my position that gun control works in countries where the restrictions have been in place long enough for guns to basically be non existent in that country - think Japan. Then it is just down to import control which is relatively easy.

In America however that cat has already escaped the bag ran off into the woods had kittens that had kittens that had kittens... I don't really see any effective path to gun control when you have ~350 million guns already in circulation. Gotta find a way to work with the situation that exists in reality rather than wishful thinking. In Japan, I would be fine not owning a gun. In America, not so much - because my belief is that it is prudent to maintain a power level on par with what you would find in a quick random sample of the population. Basically I am saying that because guns are so common here, I feel obligated to own them myself in order to keep myself on a level playing field should I end up in a worst case scenario.

Honestly if I had to say what I would prefer it would be something like Japan, where I simply do not have to really consider it, but that simply does not feel reasonably possible here.
There it is summed up concisely and intelligently for all of us foreign onlookers to consider.

Old 10-02-2017, 03:56 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Rinse and repeat.

This thread is exactly the same as every other thread after a mass shooting. Nothing will change. Even if laws change in the US, I agree with the notion that it's too late. Way too late for the US. You've left this too long. It is the new normal, and it pains me.
I got real solutions but nobody is willing to do:

1. Stop all media from glorifying murders and gangbangers.
2. Stop releasing anybody who is NOT eligible to own an firearm.
3. Impose a 10 year mandatory sentence without parole for any crime committed with any arm.
4. Let's improve mental health problems.

Old 10-02-2017, 03:56 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,284,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post

For the record, I am not anti-gun but I am anti-weapons of war in the hands of those who are not on-duty law enforcement or active-duty military.

Let's see how many of my fellow gun owners are reasonable and understand where I'm coming from.

I own a shotgun, deer rifle, and a handgun, so Im not a "gun grabber". But I don't own an AR15 style . After the Sandy Hook massacre, I asked some gun owners on a different forum if the death of 20+ kid was worth it to ensure their constitutional right to own AR15 style weapons. The answer was a no bones about it YES.The deaths are worth it if the law allows them to own the semi auto rifles .

I realized at that point that discussion with them on the issue is pointless.

Old 10-02-2017, 03:57 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Wrong, it is the guns.

Why would a private citizen need 10 or more weapons of war?

A weapon is a weapon of war when used in war, even a sling shot. And if someone owns 10 cars is that saying they contribute more to pollution?, because you can only drive one at a time.

3,490 posts, read 3,792,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Why would anybody need a swimming pool? It kills more children than all the guns combined.

Why would anybody need a car? It kills more people than guns.

Let's legislate by need, but who the hell are you to tell me what I need? How much more condescending can you be?
Exactly right!! Why did need those kids have the right to live in Sandy Hook?? Nobody can tell me what they or their parents needed.

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
The speed limit is 55 mph, but my speedometer goes up to 120mph. What's to stop someone from driving 120mph & killing someone? Well, sometimes people do, but most people don't. I don't want my car to be governed (literally) at 55mph for my own safety. I'll take my chances with people being able to drive recklessly.
And? Who suggested any such thing?

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
If the little Children dying from gun violence in Sandy Hook didn't change gun laws, nothing will.
It was illegal to take guns into that school.

Old 10-02-2017, 03:59 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
Exactly right!! Why did need those kids have the right to live in Sandy Hook?? Nobody can tell me what they or their parents needed.
You are standing on the grave of the children and pushing your agenda - very disgusting technique.

No evidence supports that if we ban all the guns, those children would still be alive.

"I need to kill me some children. Oh, crap, can't find an AR-15. Forget that idea then," said NO ONE in the history of mankind.

Old 10-02-2017, 03:59 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
I'll never understands this country's love affair with guns. It makes virtually no sense whatsoever. None.
Are you so young you never spent Saturday AMs watching cowboy shows and the like? I grew up with Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, Sky King, etc. They were good guys and had guns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies