Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2017, 08:06 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times

Advertisements

I think the intent of the 2nd amendment has been stretched and distorted. Yes, we should be able to own guns, but not ALL guns. For example, a cannon is a gun, but I bet if I put one in my front yard I would be getting a visit by the cops instantly.

We need to get sensible about gun ownership and who should be able to buy them. Just wait until the copy cat killers start to mimic this idiot in Vegas, or that ISIS says "Hey, that was a great way to do it !"

Something needs to happen to stop this madness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 08:07 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
I am interested in hearing from those that advocate these laws and why you think they would prevent such a crime.
The shooter made no illegal purchases, therefore it is reasonable to assume that if high capacity magazines, bump stocks and similar legal mods, etc were made illegal, than at least some of those deaths and injuries might have been prevented.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:08 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
No laws can really prevent anything from happening. If somebody wants something bad enough, they will find a way.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:08 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

No Way To Prevent This Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens - The Onion - America's Finest News Source

Most if the western world have already enacted gun controls that have helped curb gun massacres.
Nice avoidance.

What law would have prevented it?

Old 10-05-2017, 08:09 AM

6,752 posts, read 3,368,819 times
I am not pro-gun or anti-gun, and don't own one. That said, I don't believe that enacting more laws is going stop or prevent some lunatic from doing something like this. Someone that wants to commit this kind of violence will either figure out a way to get those kinds of weapons or modify existing ones.

There are already lots of laws on the books and they haven't stopped anybody yet. Criminals are called criminals for a reason. They don't care about laws.

Look no further than Chicago (where I used to live). It has some of the strictest gun laws in the country and also the highest number of shootings in the country, by far. Do you think the shooters in Chicago care about laws?

I don't know what the answer is, but going after the people you don't have to worry about isn't it.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:09 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,979,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
I am all for gun control/people control laws - even some of the ones you mentioned! But I am not sure any law would have prevented this crime hence waiting for those to respond who think different.
I agree that criminals do not follow laws hence why they are criminals!
BUT maybe some stricter laws would prevent or deter some crazies from getting weapons that can kill so many people at one time.. This guy could not kill and wound 500+ with a legal hand gun...
Why have certain guns illegal to own when it is legal to buy a supplement that turns the gun into what is illegal? Makes no sense!
Again, I do agree that no laws will stop a determined lunatic..

Old 10-05-2017, 08:11 AM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I think the intent of the 2nd amendment has been stretched and distorted. Yes, we should be able to own guns, but not ALL guns. For example, a cannon is a gun, but I bet if I put one in my front yard I would be getting a visit by the cops instantly.

We need to get sensible about gun ownership and who should be able to buy them. Just wait until the copy cat killers start to mimic this idiot in Vegas, or that ISIS says "Hey, that was a great way to do it !"

Something needs to happen to stop this madness.
We could actually enforce some of the 20,000 gun laws on the books. Example, 80,000 felons attempt to buy a gun every year and we prosecute an average of 4.

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
So if no laws will prevent these things why do conservatives want to ban muslims in an attempt to prevent terrorism?

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
The shooter made no illegal purchases, therefore it is reasonable to assume that if high capacity magazines, bump stocks and similar legal mods, etc were made illegal, than at least some of those deaths and injuries might have been prevented.
He didn't break any laws because he didn't have to. If he needed to, he could have broken the laws and got whatever he wanted.

Do you really think a POS who planned to murder hundreds of people would be afraid of breaking a couple of laws?

Old 10-05-2017, 08:13 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,979,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpair View Post
It doesn't matter how many gun laws and restrictions you impose.

There are millions of guns in the USA now, and they are not going away.

It's ironic how Democrats blather on and on about gun control but never mention open borders.

Laws haven't stopped the flow of drugs and won't stop the flow of ammunition and guns
even if the USA made all guns illegal.

Democrats will never do anything to tighten our borders and risk losing the Hispanic vote.
I agree with the open borders. Nobody is talking about that. Even if all guns were illegal what good would that do with thousands of those guns being smuggled over the border and sold on the black market?
Same with drugs. They are illegal. They are everywhere. Killing our kids. Is it the kids fault or the illegal drugs fault? or the fault of those people smuggling the drugs in? or the drug dealers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies