Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2017, 10:43 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea;49731519[B
]I assume that if the Vegas killer only had access to handguns[/b] and shotguns, the number of people killed/wounded would have been much less. Indeed, he may not have even tried.

I am certainly in favor of banning future sales of 'military grade weapons' to private citizens, save perhaps for special licensing. As with the prior ban, that expired after its ten-year term, there would obviously be a 'grandfather' clause for those that already own such weapons.
You know what happens when you assume

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9M1OH-dF4s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 10:43 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
ONe could also ask why so many city police depts need old military equipment, last time I checked civilian law enforcement was MUCH different than military....or is that changing now maybe?
Thank terrorism for that. That created a larger need for SWAT team reponse.

Quote:
All this happening and people wonder why folks are stockpiling weapons?!!
No it don't at all. Your opinion is wrong.

Quote:
What I find disappointing is how many people today seem to actually take the side of complete tyranny, for the sake of safety too, WTH?
Say that to people who are having to pick their child, lover or parent's coffin. Tell that to those who have to be homebound for the rest of their lives either in an assisted living situation or with family. Tell that to those wondering how they will pay for their doctor bills.

The Patriot Act was created with these good intentions after 9/11, so was the Brady Bill after Reagan nearly died.

Quote:
Have you ever heard that quote by a celebrated American patriot..."Those who give up a little freedom in search of a little safety deserve neither".?
I often do too defend any action X that is up for argument, but by putting freedom first it also gives up safety. Ask Oklahoma City; Littleton, CO; New York City; Columbus, OH; Tuscon, AZ; Aurora, CO; Sandy Hook, CT; Boston, MA; Charlston, SC; Orlando, FL; and now Las Vegas, NV. I bet many will consider their saftey already at risk at doing things Americans want to do. You knits like going to work, going to concerts, going to worship, going to movies or going to sporting events

Old 10-05-2017, 10:45 AM

23,550 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Guns trump life in the USA.
You have to admit that the media has become the 'how to show' for crazies and terrorists providing unecessary details. Build platforms at the corner of high buildings. Now everyone knows autofire guns frequently jam, so have more than one. Oh, ammo clips can be taped and flipped. this is the correct gun and caliber to use. Make sure you have these chemicals in bulk and now you can target nearby fuel storage facilities at a distance or set off an explosion from a distance with agun shot.

With he advent of, up to the second, social and news media, terrorists tune in constantly to learn the best ways to plan a massacre.

Certainly we can get the news without excruciating details now given for no other reason than sensationalism.

Given the amount of guns in the US, why aren't there more bloody massacres. Could the problem be more complex than gun laws which exempt criminals, gangs and terrorists?

Gun laws proposed, do nothing to stop the event which caused the outcry for more gun control. The intent being a total ban on guns...eventuially, at the sacrifice of people today.

the problem is far more complex than gun control.

Passing more gun laws would be the equivalent of making murder a crime.

Old 10-05-2017, 10:47 AM

3,868 posts, read 4,079,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
While I disagree that mass shootings have become our reality, the problem we have is not a "gun" problem. Guns aren't the problem. That's a subterfuge.

The real problem is we have become a country that has lost it's moral foundation.
That's the real problem right there.........morals are pretty much gone from here.

10,190 posts, read 7,953,123 times
There is no gun law written or unwritten that could have prevented the shooting in Las Vegas or anywhere else in the world. Criminals and crazies do not obey the law.

50,290 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
If i neeeded to sell them I would even if it was to scrap them because they werent refurbishable. I don't need all those guns.
What if you didn't need to sell them. Which I don't.

2,594 posts, read 1,241,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Our country will not address the societal, and cultural issues of inner city gang violence, and mental illness that causes suicides with guns. We have already said this many times. These are the VAST majority of violent acts by PEOPLE using a gun. It is a people problem, not a tool problem.
Its far easier to put restrictions on an inanimate object then to try and reform human behavior. There are plenty of crazy, violent, and criminally people in Europe just like here. What makes our situation 10 times worse is that "those people" have easy access to very dangerous weapons. There is a reason you can't buy military hardware like tanks and howitzers, or industrial grade acids or explosives. We know that if those items fall into the wrong hands it can be used to kill lots of people. This line of thinking needs to extend to include assault rifles and various semi-autos.

Old 10-05-2017, 10:49 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
And I know someone will flame me over this but after every mass shooting that has happened, we see politicians , celebrities, you name it come out of the woodwork to talk about "gun control". Yet we can add up all the fatalities in mass shootings the past 5 years, and they don't even come close to the number of fatalities that have happened in the top 10 of our most violent cities this year alone.
I know , some will say those are just criminals killing criminals or it's gang related , yada , yada , yada... regardless it still attributes to the violence in this country and tell that to the innocent that are caught in the crossfire. I guess in my mind, you can't have monologue after monologue talking about these mass shootings without addressing the bigger issue.
What is to "flame" about here is this ridiculous and continuous argument about how there are so many other types of crimes, fatalities, etc., that are also occurring. There just are not too many the likes of people scrambling over each other as if they are on a battle field instead of a concert!

There are certain things that make good common sense to do regardless what can or cannot be done about our other problems and ways to get killed. Actually, I'm not sure there is any manner of death in this country that isn't under scrutiny and effort to prevent by those focused on those problems too.

What "bigger issue" is this that hasn't also been addressed? Just because we can't solve every problem doesn't mean the problem isn't being considered.

If you or me were a government representative, and ANY issue of consequence were brought to our attention, I'm sure we would DO WHAT WE CAN to address the problem, regardless the problem. That's what our elected officials are expected to do regardless whether there are more deaths/killings committed in one way versus another. Right?

Old 10-05-2017, 10:53 AM

50,290 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
A couple hundred years ago, the Framers studied past governments, their efforts to disarm their people, the efforts of common criminals to assault, rob, rape, and murder law-abiding citizens, and the programs some govts ran to commit mass murder on their own (disarmed, of course) populations.

And they concluded that a citizenry would be better off, more prosperous, and safer if govt had NO authority to restrict or take away their firearms. Part of that came from stark evidence that if govt were given just a little authority, say to make a few "common sense" regulations, that govt would inevitably reach for more authority, and more, until it assumed the power to disarm the entire populace. It happened over and over in history, both in countries that had guns, and in countries before guns were invented.

Fast forward to present-day United States. The gun-rights-haters have tried law after law to restrict ownership of guns, from waiting periods to monthly purchases to registration to so-called "assault weapon" bans to regulations so onerous as to amount to complete bans. And the murder rates, rapes, etc. And criminals have kept right on using guns against the population, at levels high enough that liberals still demand more and more gun laws.

It has become clear even to the dimmest gun-rights-hater that these gun laws just don't work, by their own admission. And yet they keep demanding more of the same.

It looks like the Founding Fathers were right - they saw these haters coming a mile away, and wrote a Constitution that flatly bans them from making any such law. And they were equally right in predicting that, once govt was allowed to make "just a few common-sense restrictions", they would go on to make more and more, without end.

Now the haters are demanding law after law, despite of literally centuries of history that shows their anti-gun laws have never worked. The OP is right in announcing that it's too late for gun control... but perhaps in a way he didn't think of. By demonstrating so effectively that their "gun control" does nothing but restrict the law-abiding, they have proven to the world that they are lying when they say they are doing it "to make everyone safer". In fact they are making us LESS safe... and it is impossible that they haven't noticed that.

We can only conclude that the people still demanding more "gun control" laws, are doing it for a more nefarious purpose. After decades of proving their piecemeal laws don't work, they must be trying now to (gradually) eliminate ALL guns... and exposing the populace to uncontrolled assaults, rapes, and even murders by criminals, slaveowners... and by governments, as has happened time and again throughout history.

Sure, they throw up their hands in feigned horror, and protest that "nobody is trying to take away ALL your guns!", usually accompanied by insults and namecalling. But what else could they possibly be intending? They have seen as well as everyone else, that their laws don't work. Yet they keep demanding more. They are running out of plausible reasons for their demands... and that leaves only a few ominous reasons as their real goals.

Absolutely!!

The Federal ban wasn't renewed because every study proved crime hadn't changed because of the AW ban.

Old 10-05-2017, 10:53 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan20 View Post
That's the real problem right there.........morals are pretty much gone from here.
This too, about morals...

What in the name of sound reason have morals to do with a sicko like Paddock?

Where morals truly do come into play is what we as a society do to address such evil that transcends all our morals as a society.

This sort of thing has everything to do with very sick people -- mental illness -- that should NOT be confused with morals, no matter what those who want to preach such nonsense want you to believe...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies