Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2017, 04:28 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
At least devices designed to allow semi-automatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles such as bump stocks are likely to be more highly regulated in the future.

Las Vegas shooting: NRA urges new rules for gun 'bump-stocks' - BBC News

However everyone knows there will never be any big change in relation to gun ownership, in a country that treats the Second Amendment as if it were one of the ten commandments.

Las Vegas shooting: Five reasons US gun control won't happen - BBC News
Well, of course!

We all know that those rights are given by God!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 04:34 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Wow, that's so profound. Ok, so criminals don't obey laws. Do you think it is any different in any other country?
We already know it isn't: Gun attacks. Car/truck attacks. Knife/machete attacks. Sarin (and other poisonous gas) attacks. Bomb attacks.

Don't just merely "emote." Think critically. What do all those have in common? The tool used to implement the action? No. The willingness to deliberately kill/harm others? Yes.

Old 10-06-2017, 04:34 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, of course!

We all know that those rights are given by God!
I dispute that God ever gave the right to bear arms.

I also can't picture Jesus with an AK-47.

The right to bear arms: what does the second amendment really mean? - Guardian

Old 10-06-2017, 04:39 AM

Quote:
I dispute that God ever gave the right to bear arms.

I also can't picture Jesus with an AK-47.

The right to bear arms: what does the second amendment really mean? - Guardian
Did not God place the rocks on the Earth for Cain to use? Where did the rock come from that David propelled with mechanical assistance?

AT ANY RATE, I find this part of the discussion interesting where the inhabitant of one country is talking about the God given rights with the inhabitant of another country where they supposedly believe that their leaders, if the ceremonial ones, are given to them by God.

Old 10-06-2017, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Did not God place the rocks on the Earth for Cain to use? Where did the rock come from that David propelled with mechanical assistance?

AT ANY RATE, I find this part of the discussion interesting where the inhabitant of one country is talking about the God given rights with the inhabitant of another country where they supposedly believe that their leaders, if the ceremonial ones, are given to them by God.
The Monarchy has no divine right and few powers in the UK, and I don't think there is any where in the Bible that says you have a divine right to own guns or weapons.

The Following were important events in terms of curtailing the power of Monarchy whilst establishing an independent Parliament, Law and Legal System in terms of England and later Britain.

Magna Carta 1215

The monarchy basically started losing material power with King John of England signing the Magna Carta [1215], which led to the rule of constitutional law in England. Translation: the beginning of the end of absolutism in royal rule in England. This was just 149 years after the Norman Conquest under William I.

English Civil War 1642-51 and Commonwealth of England/The Protectorate 1651-60

The monarchy continued to lose power by turns in the years since Magna Carta, culminating in the English Civil War. The Commonwealth of England (later, the Protectorate for the whole of England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland) replaced the monarchy under Charles I of England, Scotland and Ireland. (We can safely generalise Charles I was a British monarch, even though history books conventionally identify him as "of England.")

The Restoration 1660

With the end of the Commonwealth/Protectorate in 1658-60, the monarchy was restored under King Charles II of England, Scotland and Ireland. However, Parliament limited Charles II's royal prerogative powers on constitutional grounds that he had no right to arbitrarily suspend laws enacted by Parliament. Translation: further loss of royal power.

The Glorious Revolution 1688

King James II of England and Ireland (and as James VII of Scotland) was overthrown by Parliamentary forces in a joint operation with Dutch forces under William of Orange, who then became "King Billy": William III of England, Scotland and Ireland (in addition to being Stadtholder of various areas in the Dutch Republic). But during William III's reign (jointly with Mary II), there was resistance to his/their validity to the throne (which is too involved to explain here).

United Kingdom 1707-1800 / 1801-1927 / 1921-today

The most prominent political feature of the UK that diluted the power of the monarchy was the Reform Act 1832 refashioned the British electoral system and extended the franchise. Translation: more power to the people and parliament.

Old 10-06-2017, 05:03 AM

Quote:
The Monarchy has no divine right and few powers in the UK, and I don't think there is any where in the Bible that says you have a divine right to own guns or weapons.

The Following were important events in terms of curtailing the power of Monarchy whilst establishing an independent Parliament, Law and Legal System in terms of England and later Britain.
I think there is a statement in the Bible, around the time of Eden, that everything under Man's feet is subject to his control.

As far as what the Monarchy once was and is now, well who knows, perhaps that, too, could be Man utilizing what God has given to his own purpose.

AT ANY RATE, in the US, under the Constitution, that in the Bill of Rights is not given by the Government but is bestowed by a higher force.

So if you say we treat it like the Ten Commandments, I would say there is reason to believe that we do.

Old 10-06-2017, 05:14 AM

Quote:
I think there is a statement in the Bible, around the time of Eden, that everything under Man's feet is subject to his control.

As far as what the Monarchy once was and is now, well who knows, perhaps that, too, could be Man utilizing what God has given to his own purpose.

AT ANY RATE, in the US, under the Constitution, that in the Bill of Rights is not given by the Government but is bestowed by a higher force.

So if you say we treat it like the Ten Commandments, I would say there is reason to believe that we do.
A lot of the rights were based on English Laws such as Magna Carta and Habeas Corpus, and influenced by English writers such as Thomas Paine or English philosophers and political theorists of the time such as William Blackstone, Edward Coke and John Locke, with Montesquieu and the French Revolution also being instrumental in the crafting of the constitution and rights.

Montesquieu emphasized the need for balanced forces pushing against each other to prevent tyranny (reflecting the influence of Polybius's 2nd century BC treatise on the checks and balances of the Roman Republic).

Whilst the native American Indians claim parts of the consstitution wrre based on their laws and traditions including the Iroquois Confederacy and Great Law of Peace.

They did not just appear from some higher authority and are not divine rights as directed by God.

Last edited by Brave New World; 10-06-2017 at 05:26 AM..

Old 10-06-2017, 05:18 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Here is where I draw the line on guns. (and I have guns). I can see having a pistol, shotgun, or rifle, but I can not see any reason whatsoever for anyone, outside law enforcement or military, to have assault weapons.

That POS in Vegas had an arsenal that no civilian needs or should have access to. Those guns are made to one thing only, spray as many people with bullets in the shortest amount of time possible. And then we allow them to buy those stupid bump stocks !
"to have assault weapons.

I honestly DON"T believe you know what an "assault weapon" is.

"That POS in Vegas had an arsenal that no civilian needs or should have access to"

And yet he ONLY USED 1.

Old 10-06-2017, 05:18 AM

Quote:
A lot of the rights were based on English Laws such as Magna Carta and Habeas Corpus, and influenced by writers such as Thomas Paine or philosophers and political theorists of the time such as William Blackstone, Edward Coke, John Locke, and Montesquieu.
If you say so but at this point, I think we are rather talking horse races.

Old 10-06-2017, 05:19 AM

19,722 posts, read 10,124,301 times
The UK made restrictions on buying knives and still has a bunch of stabbings. You must be 18 to buy a knife there, because of the street gangs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies