Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2017, 12:04 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,498,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
The argument is over the necessity of large mag, semi-autos and there necessity. Of which we all agree is almost none existent. You wanna protect yourself during a home invasion by an armed individual, buy a shotgun. You don't need access to 40 round mags and a high rate of fire to successfully do so.

The catch 22 is that by owning a firearm you introduce the risk that it will be stolen and end up in the hands of people who would use it against you. Which we know, every criminal in this country can easily get a firearm. If there was severe restrictions on guns. If criminals did not have easy access to firearms the probably of them being used against you would drop significantly.
Who agrees with you on semi autos and magazine capacity? You're the one who thinks screaming in the woods is louder than the report of a muzzle...

I don't think many agree with you on magazines and semi autos except of course anti gun fear mongers who you absolutely endorse that enjoy the protection of guards equipped with what you seek to ban...

Introduce myself to the risk of them stolen and used against me... good luck with that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 12:05 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Scenarios? Probably a bunch!

It is in my pistol drills for a 3 magazine engagement against multiple hostiles.

When we were doing a role playing table exercise of a city being held hostage by a group with a special weapon, there were at least two hostile groups involved.

When I did ship board drills in the Navy, the scenario was a group of terrorists disguised as sailors reporting. They were to take out the watch crew then assume their posts to permit more terrorists aboard.

One of the SWAT exercises I arranged involved multiples who had taken over an opera house.

I am sure there are many, many more scenarios that people have used for training.
Any time you think the authorities can handle these matters well just take a look at the Beslan school siege.

And 9/11. Teaches humility.

Old 10-06-2017, 12:06 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,979,187 times
Quote:
The argument is over the necessity of large mag, semi-autos and there necessity. Of which we all agree is almost none existent. You wanna protect yourself during a home invasion by an armed individual, buy a shotgun. You don't need access to 40 round mags and a high rate of fire to successfully do so.

The catch 22 is that by owning a firearm you introduce the risk that it will be stolen and end up in the hands of people who would use it against you. Which we know, every criminal in this country can easily get a firearm. If there was severe restrictions on guns. If criminals did not have easy access to firearms the probably of them being used against you would drop significantly.
OK, I'll get a 39 round magazine that fires out of something thats just got a "pretty high" rate of fire.

You raise a good point, I probably shouldn't own anything. Then I don't have to worry about it getting stolen. Garage Sale tomorrow, its all gotta go!

Old 10-06-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Maybe because people don't want to go to some concert (Las Vegas) or some movie (Aurora) or to school (Columbine) and wonder "is today the day I'm going to die?"😒
Arm the teachers that puts that one to bed.
Carry into the theater if it doesn't have a metal detector.

Stop being scared sheep. I can't rationalize with those who seek to commit these heinous acts just like I can't rationalize with someone who lives with fear.

God it must be horrible to go through life worrying incessantly over everything all of the time and fall for the theatrics of politicians, media talking heads, and celebrities...

Old 10-06-2017, 12:09 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,241,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
For those who think we should ban semi-auto rifles because they make it 'easy to kill a large number of people in a short time'... what is the number of deaths you're willing to live with? Let's say we get rid of 'military style rifles', and magazines that can hold 100, or 50, or even 30 rounds. What then if we see another shooting like Virginia Tech, where handguns were used and where the magazine capacity was 15 (industry standard)? Is 32 an acceptable number to you? What if it's only 13 like in Binghamton, NY? Is that number okay? Let's say next we only allow revolvers and shotguns. What then if we see shootings like Carthage, NC? Is eight an okay number of people to kill? Or how about eleven? That's how many were killed in Cumbria, England, for all their tough gun laws.

Tell me, where do you draw the line? What will you ban in order to save a life, and where do you stop? How much of a police state are you willing to live with (assuming that you can count on the police not to kill you)?

It's kind of a rhetorical question, but I'm also curious.
No Semi-Autos
No detachable Mags
5 round limit

Same legal requirements for owning a gun as for owning a car.
With the added requirement of a physiological exam.
Same rules for buying and selling a gun as would apply to a car.
Possessing a firearm that is not registered to you is an automatic felony and a minimum 10 year sentence.

These rules will not effect hunters in the slightest, nor will it eliminate home owners or shop owners from possessing useful tools for defending themselves, like a shotgun for example. Criminals would not want to carry a gun since its an automatic prison sentence for simple possession. Gun thefts would plummet.

Old 10-06-2017, 12:10 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Any time you think the authorities can handle these matters well just take a look at the Beslan school siege....
Funny you should mention Beslan for that is a subject I am well schooled on. In the US LE community, there are two schools of thought. The first is When will Beslan happen in the US?

The second is, "Beslan? What's that?".

I won't say how an agency might handle such; that is for this or that agency to say if they wish to say.

I will say that there are agencies that are learning. Beslan was in 2004; the level of knowledge has change since then.

Quote:
No Semi-Autos
No detachable Mags
5 round limit

Possessing a firearm that is not registered to you is an automatic felony and a minimum 10 year sentence.

These rules will not effect hunters in the slightest, nor will it eliminate home owners or shop owners from possessing useful tools for defending themselves, like a shotgun for example. Criminals would not want to carry a gun since its an automatic prison sentence for simple possession. Gun thefts would plummet.
I'll hand one thing to you and that is just as it appears you have no wish for the 2nd amendment, so you have no wish for a few others such as the 8th and probably the 5th and the 6th.

Old 10-06-2017, 12:11 PM

50,298 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:

I see more not agreeing with you than agreeing. It's not called the bill of needs nor the bill of necessity.

Old 10-06-2017, 12:12 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,241,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Who agrees with you on semi autos and magazine capacity? You're the one who thinks screaming in the woods is louder than the report of a muzzle...

I don't think many agree with you on magazines and semi autos except of course anti gun fear mongers who you absolutely endorse that enjoy the protection of guards equipped with what you seek to ban...

Introduce myself to the risk of them stolen and used against me... good luck with that...
The validity of an argument is not determined by its popularity.

Old 10-06-2017, 12:13 PM

50,298 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
No Semi-Autos
No detachable Mags
5 round limit

It's already a prison sentence for felons to carry guns, yet they still do.

Old 10-06-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
No Semi-Autos
No detachable Mags
5 round limit

I hear France is lovely this time of year...

Guess with that logic, corvettes, mustangs camaros etc would be banned based on a what do you need that for boo hoo woe is me I'm scared attitude...

You're that naive to believe an automatic prison sentence is a deterrent? Pfft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies