Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2017, 10:44 AM

11,773 posts, read 5,785,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Paddock must be a hero to you. Forty something guns.

And that has been what is happening over the last decades. the gun owners have been vastly increasing the number of guns held by each.

But the percentage of the households who have a gun has gone down over a third.

For a report on gun ownership...

http://www.vpc.org/studies/ownership.pdf
Many people are no longer letting on that they own guns or the amt they have. I call that poll bogus. My neighbor and his wife just left. They stopped by to have my husband sign their papers for their gun licenses. Both big Democratic supports - but as Buddy my neighbor said - Things are changing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 10:45 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,282,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Difficult to say.

For one thing, the -15 seems to be an extremely popular rifle. In my weekly flyers from Academy, I am seeing them on sale for about $550 and that's not much money to spend, basically. I mean, I gasp when I realize that I have spent that on ammo but then realize I easily spend that much money on videos, so it is not too much (ought to save it, though).

Further, there is the item of "it is not going to see the light of day (because you have so many) except once every 5 or 10 years". That is perhaps true but then again, there are other items that can apply to as well. The amount of money I spend on Renaissance Faire items could fit into that category as well. FURTHER, there are those at Ren Faires who will make a real sword for those who want it, say about $4000. Just mentioning that for those who might say, "Your buffalo cape isn't going to kill anyone".

As far as purchases increasing rapidly in recent months, that could depend on how he perceived the situation. In 2016, I bought 3 pistols, was shopping for another -15, and had an upper -15 on order. Why? I thought Hillary Clinton was going to win the election.

NOW, if I was going to create a computer program to search for a person getting ready to go off the deep end, I'd probably have a bunch of conditions programmed into it. What kind of conditions I don't know because I have not researched that area yet. As an example, however, to detect a possible human trafficking operation, I would be "listening" for word back from the street of "The girl didn't even speak English!".

That's one of those things of trying to detect this or that kind of operation of any of many kind of operations. It means really getting DEEP into what is going on, what chemicals might be used in their production (illegal salvage), of what motivates someone to be a buyer of that criminal market (many affairs), of why supposedly common events are happening more often (illegal salvage). Let's take the buyer for an example from my side of work.

One of the things that is expected of me when I make a report on a criminal problem is my recommendation of how to solve that problem. If it is a criminal profit issue, I examine that market to find ways to disrupt it, such as finding ways to stop people from being buyers in that market.

Etc, etc, etc. I'm going into details from my line of work to show two things. The telltales are not that simple. "How would you solve" is not a question that is answered in five minutes.

So you advise LEOs on things, but a guy like Paddock buying all these guns in the last year to add to his already large collection would not have been any source of concern for you?

Im betting the LEOs dealing with Vegas have a different opinion on the subject.

No complicated computer algorithm is needed. Background checks are required. You simply keep the info and create a permanent data base on AR15 purchases.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:46 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,339,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
About five years ago, I received a survey call about gun ownership.

I lied and said I didn't own any.

Honestly, I'd guess that at least a third of gun owner would say in a survey, school questionnaire, medical questionnaire, etc that they don't own any guns.

I'd also guess it has been a growing trend that is reflected in that survey, making it unreliable.
Wapo did a blog on the subject.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.bbb5135a9910

There probably is some lying but explaining the decline by more gun owners ducking is unlikely. That is more a defense against facts you don't like.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:46 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,567,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
The only ban that would actually work is a total ban of firearms. Not only would it take 20-30 years to start getting some results, but it would start a revolution in this country. We're not Europe or Australia.

Also, none of the things on that ban list would prevent crazy people from committing mass murders. Just look at Britain or France. It's almost impossible to get a legal firearm in these countries, yet they experience more large scale massacres than the U.S. per-capita.
I mostly agree with this, but the elites, and politicians don't want to stop the violence. They say they do, but they don't do anything about stopping inner city gang violence, which is the largest component, (other than suicide), of violence by people using a gun. The real end game is to disarm the law abiding citizen which then will make the control by government absolute, and creates even more dependency. That is what they really want.

Last edited by Pilot1; 10-07-2017 at 11:07 AM..

Old 10-07-2017, 10:47 AM

45,210 posts, read 26,424,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Can you give an amount of AR15 clones being bought by your neighbor that would be a concerning number for you or not? Im not much interested in a discussion in which the other side repeatedly avoids answering my questions by asking more of their own each time I give an honest and direct answer to theirs, as I have courteously done with you (it was 4, in case you missed it). Its a waste of my time .
Too funny haven't provided a straight answer yet, but Im getting a kick out of your snark filled answers that attack the person asking, and with which you use to deflect.
As to your question; Its none of my business how many clones (or stamps, butterflies, dildos, etc) my neighbor has until he threatens me with one, at which point it matters little if he has one or a hundred.

Now since you made the claim: is being a collector of ar-15's a sign of mental instabilty and how many constitute a collection?

Old 10-07-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Many people are no longer letting on that they own guns or the amt they have. I call that poll bogus. My neighbor and his wife just left. They stopped by to have my husband sign their papers for their gun licenses. Both big Democratic supports - but as Buddy my neighbor said - Things are changing.

Indeed they are. I have managed forever by simply propping my 12 gauge in the corner to deal with any intruders. But in the world of gun nutters gone crazy, I have acquired a handgun to carry with me, in the remote chance I happen to be in the same place one of these nutters chooses to wig out at.

I suspect many people are like me. They have bought something they can carry around to deal with the increasing amount of gun nutters gone wacko, since basic crime isn't getting any worse.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:50 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,603,285 times
Quote:
Agreed on the physical ability to shoot them, which is why my number was 4. But again, as I have made clear and which you seem to wish to avoid, we are talking large numbers being a sign of mental instability. So a neighbor owning 200-300 AR15 clones would not ring any warning bells in your head or make you wonder at the guys mental state?
People are weird about collecting things.

40 Craziest Things People Collect – Planet Dolan | Obscure Facts About Life

Collecting guns is no more outlandish than collecting Star Wars toys, pinball machines, vintage cars or even air planes.

Do you consider collecting as a sign of mental illness?

Would you say Jay Leno is mentally ill because he owns a hundred cars worth tens of millions of dollars?

Old 10-07-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Too funny haven't provided a straight answer yet, but Im getting a kick out of your snark filled answers that attack the person asking, and with which you use to deflect.
As to your question; Its none of my business how many clones (or stamps, butterflies, dildos, etc) my neighbor has until he threatens me with one, at which point it matters little if he has one or a hundred.

Now since you made the claim: is being a collector of ar-15's a sign of mental instabilty and how many constitute a collection?

*sigh*

I guess you need to take your computer back to whomever explained to you that I wasn't referring to all gun ownership but AR15's , and get them to explain to you that when I said my number would be 4, that was a straight answer to your question.

But to answer your question so that I can close out a wearying line of discussion with you without you claiming I didn't answer, I wouldn't differentiate between collector and nutter. That would be the job of the police and mental health professionals to decide, if we determined that buying huge quantities qualified as a possible symptom of mental instability.

Trying to have a discussion with you that involves so much backtracking and re-explaining is too tiring to bother with . You seemingly read right over clearly stated things and pretend they don't exist. So have a nice day. I cant keep sending you back to whomever is explaining this to you every time you fail to comprehend.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:52 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,272,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
About five years ago, I received a survey call about gun ownership.

I lied and said I didn't own any.

Honestly, I'd guess that at least a third of gun owner would say in a survey, school questionnaire, medical questionnaire, etc that they don't own any guns.

I'd also guess it has been a growing trend that is reflected in that survey, making it unreliable.
Especially when all other indicators imply increasing gun ownership. NICS checks have been setting and resetting records for 4-5 years. Gun sales are also setting records, ammunition too, training are booked or running additional courses to meet demand, concealed carry licenses are also hitting records (where they're obtainable and required).

The sole indicator for falling gun ownership is a self reporting survey, that is inconsistent between survey companies and even they launched a research program to investigate the data counter to other indicators, and their inconsistency across companies.

When you have a dataset where all but one indicator shows growth, but that one indicator shows contraction. Either all other indicators are wrong, or that contraction is.

Even attempts to rationalize the divergence doesn't make sense unless the majority of gun owners have incomes 1 or 2 SD above median to cover not only maintaining sales of guns, accessories and ammo at levels the same as a decade ago with a smaller segment, but record setting sales, of handguns, rifles, optics costing hundreds to thousands of dollars, attending more training courses, getting multiple carry licenses.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:57 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,973,291 times
Quote:
So you advise LEOs on things, but a guy like Paddock buying all these guns in the last year to add to his already large collection would not have been any source of concern for you?

Im betting the LEOs dealing with Vegas have a different opinion on the subject.

No complicated computer algorithm is needed. Background checks are required. You simply keep the info and create a permanent data base on AR15 purchases.
As I said, being from Texas, that is the way of life. After all, you know what they said about Texas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3Zol75upPA

As far as your interpretation about how to do my job, thank you, I will keep that in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies