Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2017, 09:41 PM

3,368 posts, read 1,604,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
I'll go one further.

Repeal the NFA and Hughes Amendment act.

Think they'd go for that?
That is the argument for not allowing anymore limitations than already exist. Once they are gone, they don't come back, they never have a chance to even be discussed again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 09:42 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,493,553 times
Here's a compromise that's fair.

I'll submit to background checks on firearm purchases.
I provide local law enforcement all the serial numbers on my firearms, plus 1 round each to be fired and captured in a ballistics medium to be kept for forensic use.
And provide proof of my training and safes that they are locked in.
I'll even give finger prints too.

In exchange in a binding legal document I will have
Access to whatever firearm I want. Whether it's a bolt action, a short barreled rifle, or an UZI a mini gun MG42 M60 SAW or M2 belt fed machine gun.
Access to suppressors as an accessory no different than a bipod or sling.
No threat of seizure or forfeiture unless I either commit a felony, armed robbery, armed assault, act of violence, or test positive for drugs or alcohol while having firearms in my possession or on my person.
And be granted free pass through any town, city, state, or US territory without any seizing of my weapon(s)

Fair trade.

I live alone.
I don't do drugs, never have (DARE Award winner)
I work every day.
I have no criminal record.

Old 10-02-2017, 09:42 PM

292 posts, read 244,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Guns are not the issue. The Swiss are well-armed, and they don't have anywhere near the amount of violence.

I think the real issue is how people are raised. The USA in general endorses treating their young like prisoners more than most other developed countries. People are raised that might makes right.

Cultivate that mentality, and don't be surprised if people grow up to be more violent here, or if they are unable to act right without having to be forced. It's what they're used to.
Thanks for bringing up The Swiss...they are actually the model on which countries who desire to train/arm their citizenry should follow.

I lived in Switzerland and Swiss gun culture is to be greatly admired. Many, if not most citizens are in the Swiss Army and can take their guns home with them. They value their military and gun training experience.

Research Swiss Gun Culture 101 on the internet....there is info out there for anyone curious about how guns are handled in their country.

Both sides fighting in the World Wars ( I and II) avoided Switzerland, partly due to their well trained and armed military...and the countries neutrality.

Agree with your take on our young and their acting out. There are several reasons for this, but much is due to lack of self respect, which reflects upon how they allow others to treat them...from friends and family to coworkers. That is were the might makes right mentality really shows up...I am....(insert whichever theme works best here...) older than you, richer than you, more educated than you, better looking than you, more socially connected than you.....etc.....the list goes on

Old 10-02-2017, 09:44 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Should the NRA be able to give donations to political candidates? I don't think so. They are a highly organized lobby for a business. They aren't about gun safety and education. They are about selling guns. We all know that. Yes they could play a really important role in gun safety, education, working with govt. but right now they are just lobbyists.

Old 10-02-2017, 09:45 PM

$5 for a background check -- what kind of background check is that?

No way no how a five dollar background check will turn up the kind of information that is important.

Old 10-02-2017, 09:47 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,493,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Is it unreasonable to have background checks for all legal gun owners?
I think if you have a record of violence, or mental health issues there should be restrictions on gun ownerships?

You would think NRA and law abiding reasonable gun owners would want to keep the riff raff out?
It's called a NICS check. And it is mandatory for gun purchases. It weeds criminals out and delays those who have a criminal background or denies.

The only thing you have in the argument is private sales.

Private sales regardless of the law, I won't engage in, unless it is agreed whether I'm buying or selling the weapon, that a transfer be done at a gun dealer or pawn shop. I'm not buying a burner someone used in a crime. And I'm not selling to someone who is otherwise banned from ownership.

Background checks even happen at gunshows. Haven't been to one yet where you could walk in and lay your money or check or credit card on the table and walk away with a gun without filling out a 4473 and having a NICS check done... been to several gun shows.
Purchased arms online even.
Online sales only deliver to an FFL holders to have a 4473 filled out and NICS check done.

Old 10-02-2017, 09:51 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Is it unreasonable to have background checks for all legal gun owners?
I think if you have a record of violence, or mental health issues there should be restrictions on gun ownerships?

You would think NRA and law abiding reasonable gun owners would want to keep the riff raff out?
It's all in the details. These checks and permitting processes are often used to prevent the legal purchase of guns. This is why I have utlined specific stipulation in my compromise. They make it unnecessarily difficult and very expensive in many areas. In NYC for example there is something like a $400 up front fee for the application to own a pistol, this is not for concealed carry. This is just to have it at your house. They want fingerprints, 20 years of history of where you lived, your left nut and first born.

Once you give them all that it can be denied for almost any reason, subsequently few of them are issued. The people that able to get them are ex cops, politically connected and the wealthy.

This is long read and the laws in DC have been scaled back since:

MILLER: Emily gets her gun - Washington Times

Old 10-02-2017, 09:52 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,645,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I covered this before in another post, we have background checks where I live and it's been implemented very well. It's $5 and instant, I can live with that. It's small inconvenience, the issue I have is those records are kept by the State Police despite the fact the language in that legislation forbids it.
Pssst, and while you weren't looking, the State Police also have access to your driver's license---you know, the permit that allows you to drive a car. Car use is regulated, you see. We have to take tests to be able to drive a car.

Old 10-02-2017, 09:55 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
Why shouldn't the police have records of it?
Why should they when they can get a warrant for that information?

Quote:
The police have access to a lot of personal **** regarding my info but I gotta sit there and take it.
You can sit there if you want, I'm going to do what I can to prevent it.

Old 10-02-2017, 09:56 PM

I have heard that some of the gun control restrictions puts an extra financial burden on gun ownership for some people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies